Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Cal Learner's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Marysville, CA
Posts: 781
Does Anybody Else Do This?

Whenever I return home and put the car into the garage, I open the hood to let the heat out more quickly to keep all the plastic and rubber bits and the electronics from soaking in that heat for hours. The hood then stays open until the next time the car is driven. Been doing that for years, and everything in the engine bay still feels supple, even after 21 years. Just wondering if anyone else does this, or if it's something I ought to tell my therapist about??
__________________
1988 California version 260E (W124)
Anthracite Grey/Palomino
Owned since new and still going strong and smooth
MBCA member

Past Mercedes-Benz:
1986 190E Baby Benz
1967 230 Inherited from mom when she downsized
1959 220S Introduced me to the joys of keepin' 'em goin'

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world--those who understand binary and those who don't
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Pete Geither's Avatar
Half Fast Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 2,417
I do it all the time and even have my wife doing it although her motives are to save money.. In the winter time the heat from the engines will raise the temp in the garage a good five degrees, and our garage is separate from the house and I keep it heated in the winter. I mostly do it for the same reasons you do though.
__________________
95 SL500 Smoke Silver, Parchment 64K
07 E350 4matic Station Wagon White 34K
02 E320 4Matic Silver/grey 80K
05 F150 Silver 44K
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:12 AM
toomany MBZ's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: central Va
Posts: 7,820
No and this is what it looks like. I did replace the manifold vac line to the switch over valve. A friend helping me with a valve adjustment snapped it off, oh well, easy to put a new one on.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anybody Else Do This?-engine-001.jpg   Does Anybody Else Do This?-engine-002.jpg   Does Anybody Else Do This?-engine-003.jpg  
__________________
83 SD

84 CD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:24 AM
RML RML is offline
Out of Garage Space
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 1,024
Hmmm. I never thought of this but it does not sound like a bad idea. I suppose the heat under the hood increases when you stop because the fan is not running and you don't have the ventilation from driving down the road. I'll bet it spikes up when you turn off the car and then slowly drops down.

As far as heating up the garage, I would argue that the heat is in the garage anyway and the same amount of energy will transfer into the garage whether you open the hood or not. It will just transfer faster with the hood open.
__________________
85 300D 72K Anthracite Grey (Rutherford) 0-60 in 13 seconds
84 300D 331K Black (Rufus) 0-60 in 14 seconds (adjusted the ALDA)
00 Toyota Sienna 208K (Sold)
15 Subaru Outback 22K
98 Ford Taurus 62K (Gertie - Was Grandma's - drove it to church and shopping - really) Daughter's car now.
30 Model A Ford 2 Door Sedan (Sold) 0-60 in . . . Never reached 60
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:24 AM
KarTek's Avatar
<- Ryuko of Kill La Kill
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bahama/Eno Twp, NC
Posts: 3,256
I only do it if I know I'm going to be working on it later. It takes forever to cool down to a reasonable level where I won't get burned.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 AM
cmac2012's Avatar
Renaissance Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 15,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Learner View Post
Whenever I return home and put the car into the garage, I open the hood to let the heat out more quickly to keep all the plastic and rubber bits and the electronics from soaking in that heat for hours. The hood then stays open until the next time the car is driven. Been doing that for years, and everything in the engine bay still feels supple, even after 21 years. Just wondering if anyone else does this, or if it's something I ought to tell my therapist about??
Sounds reasonable. Might help.
__________________
cmac

1986 300SDL, 315K
1987 BMW 325i, 440K
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 PM
cscmc1's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Central IL
Posts: 2,782
Heh - this came up in TylerH860's recent post in DD:

Aquired the Fort Knox of W123 parts today
__________________
1992 300D 2.5T
1980 Euro 300D (sadly, sold)
1998 Jetta TDI, 132K "Rudy"
1974 Triumph TR6
1999 Saab 9-5 wagon (wife's)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RML View Post
As far as heating up the garage, I would argue that the heat is in the garage anyway and the same amount of energy will transfer into the garage whether you open the hood or not. It will just transfer faster with the hood open.
Correct
__________________
MBlovr
'59 180 Dad's original
'59 180 Dad's 2nd one
'67 250SE Dad's last one
'59 220 SE My first one
'62 220SE Coupe second one
'89 190E 2.6 5spd third one
'06 E350 4matic (sold)
'10 E350 4matic
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,212
nope. Completely pointless
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 PM
JordaanDMC-12's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Puente, California
Posts: 766
I only do it when it's cool enough to actually get some results. It's been 116/110 degrees here and we have my car and my moms in the garage, when the garage closes and the engine heat from both of those cars heats up the garage... ah man that's what I would imagine hell to be like lol It gets so hot in there you can't breathe.

I want to leave my car out in winter though, so it cools quicker.
__________________
1978 Datsun 280Z "The Skinny Car" (178,000)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Pete Geither's Avatar
Half Fast Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by RML View Post
Hmmm. I never thought of this but it does not sound like a bad idea. I suppose the heat under the hood increases when you stop because the fan is not running and you don't have the ventilation from driving down the road. I'll bet it spikes up when you turn off the car and then slowly drops down.

As far as heating up the garage, I would argue that the heat is in the garage anyway and the same amount of energy will transfer into the garage whether you open the hood or not. It will just transfer faster with the hood open.
The heat from the engine definately goes way up once you shut down the engine,,, and for the sake of argument,,, if you wanted to supplement the heat in your kitchen with heat from the oven, you would open the oven door wouldn't you ?
__________________
95 SL500 Smoke Silver, Parchment 64K
07 E350 4matic Station Wagon White 34K
02 E320 4Matic Silver/grey 80K
05 F150 Silver 44K
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
Drivers in India do it commonly till today, they call it letting the heat out, always laughed at this concept. Don't know how much heat is dissipated but if your rubbers have outlasted others, you may have a point there.
__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:17 PM
RML RML is offline
Out of Garage Space
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Geither View Post
. . .and for the sake of argument,,, if you wanted to supplement the heat in your kitchen with heat from the oven, you would open the oven door wouldn't you ?
Yes, and sometimes I do this in the winter in the morning if I am the first one up and I want to warm up the kitchen. But the difference is that when you open up the door to the oven, it cools down the oven and triggers the thermostat to fire the oven again. But when you have turned off your car, no more source of heat. You are not changing the amount of kinetic energy at the source, the engine block, just distributing it at a different rate becuase you remove a layer of insulation, the hood.
__________________
85 300D 72K Anthracite Grey (Rutherford) 0-60 in 13 seconds
84 300D 331K Black (Rufus) 0-60 in 14 seconds (adjusted the ALDA)
00 Toyota Sienna 208K (Sold)
15 Subaru Outback 22K
98 Ford Taurus 62K (Gertie - Was Grandma's - drove it to church and shopping - really) Daughter's car now.
30 Model A Ford 2 Door Sedan (Sold) 0-60 in . . . Never reached 60
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
RML RML is offline
Out of Garage Space
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomany MBZ View Post
No and this is what it looks like. I did replace the manifold vac line to the switch over valve. A friend helping me with a valve adjustment snapped it off, oh well, easy to put a new one on.
How many miles on that SD? Looks like a new engine.
__________________
85 300D 72K Anthracite Grey (Rutherford) 0-60 in 13 seconds
84 300D 331K Black (Rufus) 0-60 in 14 seconds (adjusted the ALDA)
00 Toyota Sienna 208K (Sold)
15 Subaru Outback 22K
98 Ford Taurus 62K (Gertie - Was Grandma's - drove it to church and shopping - really) Daughter's car now.
30 Model A Ford 2 Door Sedan (Sold) 0-60 in . . . Never reached 60
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,070
fast/slow

I thought about opening the hood after parking, but then I decided that allowing the heat to escape quickly wouldn't be as good as allowing heat to dissipate slowly. Less thermal shock.
__________________
2009 E320 Bluetec 108,000
1995 E300D 306,000 sold
1996 Ford Taurus LX 130,000 Sold
1985 300TD Still 225,000
2016 Ford Fusion 14,900
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page