Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 AM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,208
Super Bowl (tm) ad by Tim Tivo

You have probably heard about the pro-life ad by Tim Tivo and his mom. She was advised to terminate her pregnancy,but made the decision to carry it to term. As a result, Tim who may be the best college football player ever, was born.
Yet, to hear the outcry from some portions of the left, you'd think the ad was advocating outlawing all abortion.
Fairly typical. In my experience the Left favors freedon speech ONLY when they agree with it. All, other speech is to be limited, regulated, restricted or made illegal.

So what's your take?
Is even this speech to be allowed?
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
it goes to show that if your mom is not pro life, then you wont be......
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 AM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjake View Post
it goes to show that if your mom is not pro life, then you wont be......
to be, or not to be, THAT is the question.
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: jersey
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
You have probably heard about the pro-life ad by Tim Tivo and his mom. She was advised to terminate her pregnancy,but made the decision to carry it to term. As a result, Tim who may be the best college football player ever, was born.
Yet, to hear the outcry from some portions of the left, you'd think the ad was advocating outlawing all abortion.
Fairly typical. In my experience the Left favors freedon speech ONLY when they agree with it. All, other speech is to be limited, regulated, restricted or made illegal.

So what's your take?
Is even this speech to be allowed?

logic is the one thing an opposing view has no comeback

this post will be ignored as no real argument can be made by a rational thinking person

but then again this is the OD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
Complaint as I understand it is that CBS rejected pro-gay rights ads in the past but is accepting this ad. Seems like a reasonable complaint to me.

In the interviews that I have seen Tebow seems to think that the only possible response a child to could have to a mother who did what his mother did, is to think it was the right decision. I know people in exactly the same situation as Tim Tebow, who think their mother should have gotten an abortion.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Graplr's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Yet, to hear the outcry from some portions of the left, you'd think the ad was advocating outlawing all abortion.
So what then is the ad advocating? And what is its purpose if it is not against abortion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Fairly typical. In my experience the Left favors freedon speech ONLY when they agree with it. All, other speech is to be limited, regulated, restricted or made illegal.
I dont' think that is your EXPERIENCE, I think it is your spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
So what's your take?
Is even this speech to be allowed?
Of course it is to be allowed. Quite a spendy way to get their message across though.
__________________
2004 E320 Wagon

Past Mercedes
1979 300TD
1982 300TD
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1998 E430
1984 300SD
1980 300SD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
logic is the one thing an opposing view has no comeback

this post will be ignored as no real argument can be made by a rational thinking person

but then again this is the OD

Can there be logic without grammar?
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: jersey
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Complaint as I understand it is that CBS rejected pro-gay rights ads in the past but is accepting this ad. Seems like a reasonable complaint to me.

In the interviews that I have seen Tebow seems to think that the only possible response a child to could have to a mother who did what his mother did, is to think it was the right decision. I know people in exactly the same situation as Tim Tebow, who think their mother should have gotten an abortion.
I know people in exactly the same situation as Tim Tebow, who think their mother should have gotten an abortion

if those people you know FRIENDS ???? who think that way tell their doctor they could get a nice soft room to live in -- jz
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
I know people in exactly the same situation as Tim Tebow, who think their mother should have gotten an abortion

if those people you know FRIENDS ???? who think that way tell their doctor they could get a nice soft room to live in -- jz
Sanity is not defined by self-interest and it's really bad form for religious people to be spending millions of dollars on ads implying that it is.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 22,644
From what I have read the doctors recommended she have an abortion because they felt her life may be placed in jeopardy due to medication she had taken. The fact that Tim became a good football player is irrelevant. Besides, it's not as if he became a scientist, teacher, aid worker or someone who actually contributes to society. He is a athlete, big deal. But again it's irralevant. He could have just as easily become a burden on society. Too guilt a mother into having a child by way of saying you are killing the next Albert Einstein is irresponsible. The mother should be given all the options
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 22,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
logic is the one thing an opposing view has no comeback

this post will be ignored as no real argument can be made by a rational thinking person

but then again this is the OD
No, it's ignored for several reasons, lack of a real argument is not one of them.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
One additional point. If the religious right were to have it's way, Tebo's mother would not be in a position to be praised for carrying a dangerous pregnancy to term because she would not have a choice to do otherwise.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM
JollyRoger's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
You have probably heard about the pro-life ad by Tim Tivo and his mom. She was advised to terminate her pregnancy,but made the decision to carry it to term. As a result, Tim who may be the best college football player ever, was born.
Yet, to hear the outcry from some portions of the left, you'd think the ad was advocating outlawing all abortion.
Fairly typical. In my experience the Left favors freedon speech ONLY when they agree with it. All, other speech is to be limited, regulated, restricted or made illegal.

So what's your take?
Is even this speech to be allowed?
My take is you are confusing freedom of speech with disagreement. Someone who is disagreeing with you is not trying to limit your speech. I have not heard any "out cry on the left", the first I heard of this was this morning on CNN. I have heard exactly no one, and I read lots of lefty blogs, say anything at all like you claim, demanding that this individual's right to say what he wants to say be curtailed, I would like to see just one link to prove me wrong. Until then, this looks like some marketing department's blowing up some puffery to push some issue dejour to drum up the Superbowl. I find the pro-life position inherently fascist, I could care less what the little fascist has to say. I'm sure if men could get pregnant if a pregnancy meant an end to his football career, he'd be a screaming pro-choice fanantic.

Last edited by JollyRoger; 01-27-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
One additional point. If the religious right were to have it's way, Tebo's mother would not be in a position to be praised for carrying a dangerous pregnancy to term because she would not have a choice to do otherwise.
Red Herring.
AFAIK, the ad does not promote taking away anyone's rights. It simply tells the other side of the story.
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM
JollyRoger's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
From what I have read the doctors recommended she have an abortion because they felt her life may be placed in jeopardy due to medication she had taken. The fact that Tim became a good football player is irrelevant. Besides, it's not as if he became a scientist, teacher, aid worker or someone who actually contributes to society. He is a athlete, big deal. But again it's irralevant. He could have just as easily become a burden on society. Too guilt a mother into having a child by way of saying you are killing the next Albert Einstein is irresponsible. The mother should be given all the options
Hey, I'm glad they made that choice and it worked out great for them. But they don't want others to have that choice, they want to tell people what their choices are going to be. Like I said, fascist.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page