Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,334
BHO and WWII

Barack's father was in WWII? Is this doctored? I googled and did not find much.

  #2  
Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Palangi's Avatar
L' Rťsistance
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Republique de Banana
Posts: 3,496
Snopes confirms that he said it, but gives him a pass anyway. Go figure...

I guess the teleprompter was broken that day....
__________________
Palangi

2004 C240 Wagon 203.261 Baby Benz
2008 ML320 CDI Highway Cruiser
2006 Toyota Prius, Saving the Planet @ 48 mpg
2000 F-150, Destroying the Planet @ 20 mpg



TRUMP .......... WHITEHOUSE
HILLARY .........JAILHOUSE
BERNIE .......... NUTHOUSE
0BAMA .......... OUTHOUSE
  #3  
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Pooka
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 664
I loved this clip. It is clearly taken out of context, and all anyone has to do is the least bit of research to find out the President meant what he said.

For those of you that are somewhat fact adverse: The President was raised by his Grandparents. His Grandfather, on his Mothers side, was the Father figure in his life. I have known of enough broken homes to know that this is not an unusual circumstance.

The Presidents' Grandfather did serve in WW 2.

What right-wingers seem to be trying to do is run from the shameful treatment Vets received under the Bush rule, and I really can't blame them for this. Vets returning from WW 2 did receive excellent treatment, and Vets returning from the wars now were not.

The President recently, to use the term Republicans love to use, 'rammed down our throats' a bill to provide more funding for the care of our Vets despite the Republicans doing everything they could to stop it.

I think what really has right-wingers torn up is that the President kept his promise to do this.
  #4  
Old 08-16-2010, 03:47 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
I loved this clip. It is clearly taken out of context, and all anyone has to do is the least bit of research to find out the President meant what he said.

For those of you that are somewhat fact adverse: The President was raised by his Grandparents. His Grandfather, on his Mothers side, was the Father figure in his life. I have known of enough broken homes to know that this is not an unusual circumstance.

The Presidents' Grandfather did serve in WW 2.

What right-wingers seem to be trying to do is run from the shameful treatment Vets received under the Bush rule, and I really can't blame them for this. Vets returning from WW 2 did receive excellent treatment, and Vets returning from the wars now were not.

The President recently, to use the term Republicans love to use, 'rammed down our throats' a bill to provide more funding for the care of our Vets despite the Republicans doing everything they could to stop it.

I think what really has right-wingers torn up is that the President kept his promise to do this.
I figured there was a reasonable explanation.

It is a mystery to me that the majority of vets currently seem to vote R considering the shameful treatment given them by the current brand of R's in congress and formerly in the white house.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
  #5  
Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
That's because most vets did their duty NOT for what they could get from the country, but what they could GIVE to the country.
  #6  
Old 08-16-2010, 03:53 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjake View Post
That's because most vets did their duty NOT for what they could get from the country, but what they could GIVE to the country.

Of course. Nothing wrong with that. ...still though it would be nice if our political leaders would take as good care of them as themselves, medically at least.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
  #7  
Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Of course. Nothing wrong with that. ...still though it would be nice if our political leaders would take as good care of them as themselves, medically at least.
with that, I agree, especially for something that occured during a war.
  #8  
Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palangi View Post
Snopes confirms that he said it, but gives him a pass anyway...
A pass? What was Snopes supposed to say? That it was a horrible lie for Obama to use the word "father" to refer to the man who raised him?

Is this the best you guys can find? I still like Obama, so I probably don't take note of his transgressions as much as I should, but I've got to think you anti-Obama guys can find something better than this.

BTW, do any of you disagree with Obama's message in the clip quoted by Snopes? He seems to be making sense there, doesn't he?
  #9  
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Methinks the OP is probably busy doing more research, but is grateful for the clarification of the subject and responses to his inquiry . . .
  #10  
Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Pooka
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 664
Most of the military folks I know really well served in Veit-Nam. Some of them were drafted and some of them joined and one of them even rose to be on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

ALL of them, when they first went in, cited the care and bennies the military offered. They knew that if something terrible took place they would be cared for and would not be a burden to their loved ones. This meant a great deal to them and many took risks that most people would call bravery because they knew their loved ones would be cared for if they died.

My personal opinion is that if I expect someone to walk barefoot through Hell for me then I should do what I can to care for them if they are injured during the walk. If my taxes have to go up to pay for this then so be it. I can still take care of myself in a one on one fight (at least I like to think so), but I don't think, at my age, I am up to repelling any armed invasion force.

Ross Perot used to say that he was no hero. Sure he built a big company, made a lot of people rich, etc., but he had to quit the Navy to do so. The guys who stayed in were the real hero's, and our country should never turn their backs on them.
  #11  
Old 08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjake View Post
That's because most vets did their duty NOT for what they could get from the country, but what they could GIVE to the country.
Absolutely spot on, perfect, and correct. This is a concept that is both foreign and unimaginable to people who have never served. They canít compute those values and will never be able to do so.
  #12  
Old 08-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: #KeepingAmericaGreat!
Posts: 6,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palangi View Post
Snopes confirms that he said it, but gives him a pass anyway. Go figure...

I guess the teleprompter was broken that day....
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________

06 E320 CDI - PEWTER/CHARCOAL
2017 C7 Stingray Vert /M7-speed manual trans/3LT/FE2 - Arctic White / Jet Black interior
  #13  
Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
This is a concept that is both foreign and unimaginable to people who have never served. They canít compute those values and will never be able to do so.


Obama signs legislation to increase benefits

2008 Campaign: Obama Criticizes McCain Over Proposed GI Bill

John McCain -- like George Bush -- opposed it, even though John McCain didnít come back to vote, " Obama explained, "I donít understand why he would side with George Bush in opposing a bipartisan bill that does so much to make college affordable for veterans. George Bush and John McCain may think that the bill is too generous, but I could not disagree more."


I guess there are no absolutes.
  #14  
Old 08-16-2010, 05:14 PM
JollyRoger's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
Absolutely spot on, perfect, and correct. This is a concept that is both foreign and unimaginable to people who have never served. They canít compute those values and will never be able to do so.
So you think only the military has a sense of duty to their country? Funny, most of the thinking I see like that comes from places like Nazi Germany. Got news for ya Billy boy, lots of people love their country and none of it is "foreign and unimaginable" to them. You drip militarist elitism.
  #15  
Old 08-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
You drip militarist elitism.
Thank you very much! You reek of vainglorious pusillanimity.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page