Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,292
Pakistan

Dire straights in Pakistan these days.

Who is the best charity to give money to in this situation?

George Soros, I hear, has donated $5 billion for Pakistan flood relief. I can't quite match that, but we ought to give something.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
Dire straights in Pakistan these days.

Who is the best charity to give money to in this situation?

George Soros, I hear, has donated $5 billion for Pakistan flood relief. I can't quite match that, but we ought to give something.
Billion or million?

Who is "we"?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,895
We should take this opportunity to completely remove their nuclear program, lock stock and barrel. Same plane that bring in the relief, bring back the golden egg that is part of the trouble over there.
__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbdiesel View Post
We should take this opportunity to completely remove their nuclear program, lock stock and barrel. Same plane that bring in the relief, bring back the golden egg that is part of the trouble over there.
x2. I was thinking along the lines of cutting a deal to let us search for OBL too, in exchange for aid. Wasn't it Rahm Emannuel who said don't let a disaster go to waste?
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
Dire straights in Pakistan these days.

Who is the best charity to give money to in this situation?

George Soros, I hear, has donated $5 billion for Pakistan flood relief. I can't quite match that, but we ought to give something.
WGAF?

Me.

Probably for a tax break.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
x2. I was thinking along the lines of cutting a deal to let us search for OBL too, in exchange for aid. Wasn't it Rahm Emannuel who said don't let a disaster go to waste?
Would this be like the deal we have with them where they fight Al Qaeda in exchange for some aid? That didn't work out too well, did it? ISI had other ideas. Why should we trust them this time? Because they are in trouble? Screw them.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
Billion or million?

Who is "we"?
My bad. It's $5 million. I thought the guy on the radio said $5 billion. Of course, $5 million is still pretty good.

"We" is whoever can afford it, IMHO, assuming there is a good charity who will use the money wisely.

Red Cross?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2010, 01:26 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
Renaissance Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,308
That is a first thought. Trouble is, if the supposedly powerful west doesn't do something to alleviate some of the suffering, the only visible body that is helping will be extremist groups. I've heard a bit about that on the news, not sure which groups involved.

And don't look now, but some in Pakistan are saying this is the result of AGW - melting glaciers in Himalayas and possibly the fires in Russia.

The latter is probably a stretch but who knows, torrential rains are one of the predicted effects of GW - extremes of climate could well become more pronounced or rather are as we speak.

To the OP, on the Lehrer Newshour last night was given info on how to do the texting donation, in this case it would go to a UN relief effort.

Here's the link:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/weather/july-dec10/pak2holbrooke_08-19.html

RICHARD HOLBROOKE: So, I'm very glad to be able to to mention all this. The American public is just beginning to tune in. We have a special phone number. If you text, is S-W-A-T, SWAT, and punch in the number 50555, you automatically send $10 to the U.N. Refugee Commission. But a lot more needs to be done.

JIM LEHRER: Excuse me. Say that again, Mr. Holbrooke. Say the SWAT and the numbers again.

RICHARD HOLBROOKE: You type in as a text message in an SMS text S-W-A-T, for SWAT, that area which is now completely underwater, once known as the Switzerland of Pakistan, SWAT. Then you send it to 50555, and will add $10 to your phone bill at the end of the month, and you will have sent $10 directly to the U.N. High Commission on Refugees.

And all the money goes directly to them. And no one has to worry about diversion, because it goes to the refugee issues of the U.N.


I just did it and it seemed to work.
__________________
cmac

1986 300SDL, 351K
1984 300D, 133K
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:35 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
That is a first thought. Trouble is, if the supposedly powerful west doesn't do something to alleviate some of the suffering, the only visible body that is helping will be extremist groups. I've heard a bit about that on the news, not sure which groups involved.

And don't look now, but some in Pakistan are saying this is the result of AGW - melting glaciers in Himalayas and possibly the fires in Russia.

The latter is probably a stretch but who knows, torrential rains are one of the predicted effects of GW - extremes of climate could well become more pronounced or rather are as we speak.

To the OP, on the Lehrer Newshour last night was given info on how to do the texting donation, in this case it would go to a UN relief effort.

Here's the link:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/weather/july-dec10/pak2holbrooke_08-19.html

RICHARD HOLBROOKE: So, I'm very glad to be able to to mention all this. The American public is just beginning to tune in. We have a special phone number. If you text, is S-W-A-T, SWAT, and punch in the number 50555, you automatically send $10 to the U.N. Refugee Commission. But a lot more needs to be done.

JIM LEHRER: Excuse me. Say that again, Mr. Holbrooke. Say the SWAT and the numbers again.

RICHARD HOLBROOKE: You type in as a text message in an SMS text S-W-A-T, for SWAT, that area which is now completely underwater, once known as the Switzerland of Pakistan, SWAT. Then you send it to 50555, and will add $10 to your phone bill at the end of the month, and you will have sent $10 directly to the U.N. High Commission on Refugees.

And all the money goes directly to them. And no one has to worry about diversion, because it goes to the refugee issues of the U.N.


I just did it and it seemed to work.
Well, in THEORY, that sounds like a good plan. OTOH, they have been known to take our money when it suits them and spit at us in the face when it doesn't. If it wasn't for us, they would be bones in Afghanistan. So, how do they repay us? Besides, every dollar the extremist groups send there is one dollar less they have to spend on screwing with us. Everybody dead there is one person less to aid the extremists and screw with us. So, the higher the body count and suffering there, the more they are occupied with their problems, the better it is for us. I can't see how we can lose.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix Arizona. Ex Durban R.S.A.
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
in this case it would go to a UN relief effort.
The day I donate money to the U****inN is the day hell freezes over.

- Peter.
__________________
81 240D stick. 316000 miles at purchase. 342000 now
2000 GMC Sonoma
Formerly...
2002 Kia Rio. Worst crap on four wheels
1981 240D 4spd stick. 389000 miles. Deceased Jan 08
1984 123 200
1979 116 280S
1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1971 108 280S
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 PM
JollyRoger's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
My bad. It's $5 million. I thought the guy on the radio said $5 billion. Of course, $5 million is still pretty good.

"We" is whoever can afford it, IMHO, assuming there is a good charity who will use the money wisely.

Red Cross?
You don't get it - Soros is the main guest at Billy Bob's "Hate Week"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,306
Let the UN handle something for once, were busy.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj67coll View Post
The day I donate money to the U****inN is the day hell freezes over.

- Peter.
With global warming, that day might come sooner than you think it will. lol
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)

Last edited by Jim B.; 08-20-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
...Everybody dead there is one person less to aid the extremists and screw with us...
Wow. Not much love for the Pakistanis today.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
Wow. Not much love for the Pakistanis today.
Take away their nukes and then get back to me.


* kthxbi *

__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page