Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Redefining normal daily
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 445
Thinned the herd

Gretel is gone.

14 hours after the craigslist ad posted, had a $500 deposit in me paypal account. Next day (yesterday) pick up failed since the out of state buyer's wife went into hospital with chest pains

Told the buyer not to worry, ad was pulled, take your bloody time, take care of your wife, I'm in no rush.

Buyer calls this afternoon, says he's arranged a series of rides to get him the 350 miles to here, let's get this done. Balance of purchase price handed over in cash, title signed over, hand shakes and best wishes exchanged. Whole damn f'n deal over in less than 48 hours.

And the buyer and his nephew are headed back to scenic Virginia. With no plates on the car.

pas deux

Guess I oughta update me siggie, eh?
__________________
1961 220b: first project car - sold.
2000 CLK 430: first modern Benz - sold.
2001 CLK 55: OMG the torque!!! - sold
1972 280SE 4.5: Baby Gustav
1991 300TE 4Matic: Gretel the Snow Bunny - sold
1978 300SD: Katz the Free Man
1980 Redhead: Darling Wife
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
layback40's Avatar
Not Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria Australia - down under!!
Posts: 4,023
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonajim View Post
Gretel is gone.

14 hours after the craigslist ad posted, had a $500 deposit in me paypal account. Next day (yesterday) pick up failed since the out of state buyer's wife went into hospital with chest pains

Told the buyer not to worry, ad was pulled, take your bloody time, take care of your wife, I'm in no rush.

Buyer calls this afternoon, says he's arranged a series of rides to get him the 350 miles to here, let's get this done. Balance of purchase price handed over in cash, title signed over, hand shakes and best wishes exchanged. Whole damn f'n deal over in less than 48 hours.

And the buyer and his nephew are headed back to scenic Virginia. With no plates on the car.

pas deux

Guess I oughta update me siggie, eh?
Good luck to you !!!

As you found, you only need one buyer to sell your car. Once you have one, dont let him go !!!
Your humility & social decency paid dividends in the end!!
How was his wife in the end ?
__________________
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club group

I no longer question authority, I annoy authority. More effect, less effort....

1967 230-6 auto parts car. rust bucket.
1980 300D now parts car 800k miles
1984 300D 500k miles
1987 250td 160k miles English import
2001 jeep turbo diesel 130k miles
1998 jeep tdi ~ followed me home. Needs a turbo.
1968 Ford F750 truck. 6-354 diesel conversion.
Other toys ~J.D.,Cat & GM ~ mainly earth moving
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,944
He deposited $500 into your Paypal account without written agreement? He must be brave, stupid and lucky all rolled into one. Lucky because you are an honest seller. Brave because he did it and stupid because he could have lost his $500.

I think I will start selling cars on CL and ask for Paypal deposit
__________________
Not MBZ nor A/C trained professional but a die-hard DIY and green engineer. Use the info at your own peril. Picked up 2 Infractions because of disagreements. NOW reversed.

W124 Keyless remote, PM for details. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/334620-fs-w124-chasis-keyless-remote-%2450-shipped.html

2 x 87 300SDL
1 x 87 300D
1 x 87 300TDT wagon
1 x 83 300D
1 x 84 190D ( 5 sp ) - All R134 converted + keyless entry.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Redefining normal daily
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah-kay View Post
He deposited $500 into your Paypal account without written agreement? He must be brave, stupid and lucky all rolled into one. Lucky because you are an honest seller. Brave because he did it and stupid because he could have lost his $500.

I think I will start selling cars on CL and ask for Paypal deposit
I didn't ask for such a deposit - this guy was so anxious to "get the wagon off the market" that he seemed to find it appropriate to move dollars into my domain without having laid eyes on the car.

Now, mind - I have bought a car (Elvira, 97 Miata that was my pride and joy until eaten by a red-light-running arsehat) totally sight unseen on ebay - so can't very well be throwing stones at this point.

Truly hope Gretel meets the buyer's wants and needs. Truly glad to remove her from our insurance policy. Win-win for everybody is what I'm holding out for.
__________________
1961 220b: first project car - sold.
2000 CLK 430: first modern Benz - sold.
2001 CLK 55: OMG the torque!!! - sold
1972 280SE 4.5: Baby Gustav
1991 300TE 4Matic: Gretel the Snow Bunny - sold
1978 300SD: Katz the Free Man
1980 Redhead: Darling Wife
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: los angeles
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonajim View Post
I didn't ask for such a deposit - this guy was so anxious to "get the wagon off the market" that he seemed to find it appropriate to move dollars into my domain without having laid eyes on the car.

Now, mind - I have bought a car (Elvira, 97 Miata that was my pride and joy until eaten by a red-light-running arsehat) totally sight unseen on ebay - so can't very well be throwing stones at this point.

Truly hope Gretel meets the buyer's wants and needs. Truly glad to remove her from our insurance policy. Win-win for everybody is what I'm holding out for.
occasionally - ok, rarely - honest people do business with other honest people. everyone goes away feeling good. enjoy it while it lasts.
__________________
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page