Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 1,237
At this rate we will never get ahead

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11234829/1/report-ceos-rewarded-for-avoiding-taxes.html

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,384
Lower corporate income taxes to zero. Raise personal income tax and institute a VAT. Tax the profits at the point of collection -- after all, profits do CEOs no good if they can't spend them. Fringe benefits like company cars, private jets, company apartments should also be taxed as income based on the value of the service.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 40,422
Yes.
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:36 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
What's your point? We give CEOs bonuses for lowering expenses whether they are taxes, or getting a better location or finding a cheaper source. Why are taxes a holy item? Why should they not try to lower the amount they pay? Do we not do that ourselves in our personal lives? Should I buy from the local shop and pay more for the same thing when I can go pick up the item from a cheaper store on my way home from work?

If the country is to get ahead, we need to cut the spending first. If that is not enough, we can talk about it again but right now, there is too much "Arthur Andersen" going on
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Problem is this is far more involved than that article would suggest. The problem in the economy isn't about a few CEO's trying to reduce their tax burden....they are doing that legally. Legal loopholes were put their by politicians, they are legal to use. How about the nearly half the population that effectively pay no federal taxes now....

Picking on the people that create the jobs not suprisingly results in fewer jobs. And the disgust of the half that DOES have to pay ever higher and higher ammounts just adds to the problem.

When EVERYONE.....as in every legal adult has to pay an equal percentage of their income....then they can claim skin in the game and would care about reducing spending and entitlements to those who haven't earned them.

See if then real change doesn't happen.
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 PM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
Tax Corporations as the Citizens they claim to be

Tax individuals on an upwards sliding scale based on income.
(Gates + Co. pay the MOST.)
Make Congressional Service a VOLUNTARY Citizen Activism.[One Term Only]
(No Pay,Food Stamps only)
Make Lobbyists Illegal.
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor View Post
Problem is this is far more involved than that article would suggest. The problem in the economy isn't about a few CEO's trying to reduce their tax burden....they are doing that legally. Legal loopholes were put their by politicians, they are legal to use. How about the nearly half the population that effectively pay no federal taxes now....

Picking on the people that create the jobs not suprisingly results in fewer jobs. And the disgust of the half that DOES have to pay ever higher and higher ammounts just adds to the problem.

When EVERYONE.....as in every legal adult has to pay an equal percentage of their income....then they can claim skin in the game and would care about reducing spending and entitlements to those who haven't earned them.

See if then real change doesn't happen.
While I agree with that, I do believe that first you have to clean up your mess. Before you do that, giving everyone some skin in the game won't help. Even if you increase the revenue, if you piss it away doing stupid things, you will be waiting for the next disaster to happen.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:26 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by compress ignite View Post
Tax individuals on an upwards sliding scale based on income.
(Gates + Co. pay the MOST.)

Make Congressional Service a VOLUNTARY Citizen Activism.[One Term Only]
(No Pay,Food Stamps only)
Make Lobbyists Illegal.
Why punish the smart? Besides, they can move their money somewhere else and you get $0. I would. I have seen companies that do. Easier and better to simply tax at the point of purchase. No deductions, no nothing. No other taxes. Govt needs more money, it needs to raise the sales tax. That will slow down the damage they do

Would be nice but if you can limit the money going in and the money going out, it doesn't matter how much they serve does it?

Even if you do make lobbyists illegal, there is still a way to get around that. Make it harder to get around. Have the citizens actually pay attention to what is going on. Much harder
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
While I agree with that, I do believe that first you have to clean up your mess. Before you do that, giving everyone some skin in the game won't help. Even if you increase the revenue, if you piss it away doing stupid things, you will be waiting for the next disaster to happen.
Everyone currently has skin in the game. Even if you don't pay taxes, you pay via the govno-mint printing money and fellating itself via inflation.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM
elchivito's Avatar
ĦAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,075
Theoretically, taxing income punishes productivity. Taxing sales makes a lot more sense to me as it would seem to encourage thrift.
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Theoretically, taxing income punishes productivity. Taxing sales makes a lot more sense to me as it would seem to encourage thrift.
Except the American economy is all about borrow-spend-borrow-spend-borrow-spendlikeadrunkenpigonmeth.

Here's a graph of savings rates, comparing some countries between 1992 and 2011. US is very low on that totem pole:

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/10396-household-saving-rates.html#axzz1WdKoRyFR
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
Even if you don't pay taxes, you pay via the govno-mint printing money and fellating itself via inflation.
Currently, if I earn nothing, I am paying nothing. Besides your rhetoric, how did you come to that conclusion
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Currently, if I earn nothing, I am paying nothing. Besides your rhetoric, how did you come to that conclusion
Even if you didn't earn in a given year, if you have savings, those savings are eroded by money-printing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
Except the American economy is all about borrow-spend-borrow-spend-borrow-spendlikeadrunkenpigonmeth.

Here's a graph of savings rates, comparing some countries between 1992 and 2011. US is very low on that totem pole:

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/10396-household-saving-rates.html#axzz1WdKoRyFR
If you remove everything tax wise and simply limit it to purchasing, whoever saves, saves. If you earn $1 and buy something, you pay taxes. If you earn $1 billion but spend nothing in any way, shape or form, you pay nothing.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
Even if you didn't earn in a given year, if you have savings, those savings are eroded by money-printing.
Now you are making assumptions that they are having savings to be eroded. Many simply live from welfare check to welfare check and barely, at that.

__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page