Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
dkveuro's Avatar
Sword of Damocles
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Here an' there.
Posts: 2,548
I need to vent.....Long !

If you live alone, you may understand how screaming at the tv or radio is not so therapeutic as talking or even writing about what bugs you. Don't get me started on the word...BLOG !

Eventually you begin to find out your actually not alone in this irritation.

My least favourite word right now is: issues...Issues? All the 'talking heads' are using it like it infers they are intellectual or something...a little while ago it was Gravitas. !

What happened to, problem, difficulty, trouble, condition, corollary, etc..or even a periodical..Pretentious use of other words, causing a rise in blood pressure that you feel a need to share, please feel free to post below.

I wonder how many words others of you feel the same about. Some? Few? Many?

I always though 'issue' was about .....''coming forth'' or,'' flowing out" ...so I looked it up...and by George, am right! So for your delectation and edification here's the definition of ISSUE according to Webster.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1is·sue
noun
\ˈi-(ˌ)shü, chiefly Southern ˈi-shə, chiefly British ˈis-(ˌ)yü\
Definition of ISSUE
1
plural : proceeds from a source of revenue (as an estate)
2
: the action of going, coming, or flowing out : egress, emergence
3
: a means or place of going out : exit, outlet
4
: offspring, progeny
5
a : a final outcome that usually constitutes a solution (as of a problem) or resolution (as of a difficulty) b obsolete : a final conclusion or decision about something arrived at after consideration c archaic : termination, end
6
a : a matter that is in dispute between two or more parties b (1) : a vital or unsettled matter (2) : concern, problem c : the point at which an unsettled matter is ready for a decision
7
: a discharge (as of blood) from the body
8
a : something coming forth from a specified source b obsolete : deed
9
a : the act of publishing or officially giving out or making available b : the thing or the whole quantity of things given out at one time
— is·sue·less adjective
— at issue
1
: in a state of controversy : in disagreement
2
also in issue : under discussion or in dispute
See issue defined for English-language learners »
See issue defined for kids »
Examples of ISSUE

She is concerned with a variety of social issues.
Water purity is a public health issue.
The President's speech addressed a number of important issues.
campaign issues like education and defense
The issue is poverty, not race: to talk about race is simply to confuse the issue.
The case involves some complicated legal issues.
He should stop dodging the issue and make a decision now.
There's an interesting article on page 12 of this issue.
the most recent issue of the magazine

Origin of ISSUE
Middle English, exit, proceeds, from Anglo-French, from issir to come out, go out, from Latin exire to go out, from ex- + ire to go; akin to Gothic iddja he went, Greek ienai to go, Sanskrit eti he goes

First Known Use: 14th century
Related to ISSUE
Synonyms: aftereffect, aftermath, backwash, child, conclusion, consequence, corollary, development, fate, fruit, effect, outcome, outgrowth, precipitate, product, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, upshot
Antonyms: antecedent, causation, cause, occasion, reason

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


If you feel the need to flame me , go ahead, I don't mind, just tell me what you think.
I look forward to seeing what others find irritating.

BTW...It doesn't have to be language...it can include anything.

By way of reinforcement, I offer this link in my defence....

..Warning...If Anglo-Saxon invectives and gutter English expressionism is likely to offend, do not link to this page:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish


So...Fire away...........

NB.

Above subject to revision and editing from time to time.


.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
elchivito's Avatar
¡Ay Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,075
"going forward" and "at the end of the day" are two that always raise my hackles.
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Smile

feel better now
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 PM
dkveuro's Avatar
Sword of Damocles
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Here an' there.
Posts: 2,548
Quote:
Feel better now
No...but thanks for asking.

Here's another for the list....Closure . eg: '' I look forward to... ''.


.

Last edited by dkveuro; 09-12-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rockville MD
Posts: 833
This looks like an interesting challenge.
__________________
1985 380SE Blue/Blue - 230,000 miles
2012 Subaru Forester 5-speed
2005 Toyota Sienna
2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible
1999 Toyota Tacoma
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 36,393
I find the use of "issue" as a euphonism for "problem" to be tedious, though I have started using it to conform to what people now see as the norm.

I also find "at the end of the day" tedious at best, though it is not used nearly as much as issue.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix Arizona. Ex Durban R.S.A.
Posts: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkveuro View Post
like it infers they are intellectual or something...
Actually that'd be like it "implies" they are intellectual or something, though it's not like, at the end of the day, I'm implying, you have like, issues with grammar, or anything

- Peter.
__________________
81 240D stick. 316000 miles at purchase. 346000 now
2000 GMC Sonoma
Formerly...
2002 Kia Rio. Worst crap on four wheels
1981 240D 4spd stick. 389000 miles. Deceased Jan 08
1984 123 200
1979 116 280S
1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1971 108 280S
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM
dkveuro's Avatar
Sword of Damocles
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Here an' there.
Posts: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj67coll View Post
Actually that'd be like it "implies" they are intellectual or something, though it's not like, at the end of the day, I'm implying, you have like, issues with grammar, or anything

- Peter.
Like this ...a definition of INFERS/INFER like? http://www.thefreedictionary.com/infers

BTW..How's come you be writin' loik a ol' Norfoork fella? You frum loik, England or summert ?
.

here's another one...'Team Player '....



.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I find the use of "issue" as a euphonism for "problem" to be tedious


The perp raped tortured and then murdered the vic, then burned the body and threw it in a ditch

Ahhh, he had "Impulse control" ISSUES.








Jesus H Christ in a Men's Wherehouse suit !!!!
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 AM
chilcutt's Avatar
Anywhere I Roam
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 8,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkveuro View Post
If you live alone, you may understand how screaming at the tv or radio is not so therapeutic as talking or even writing about what bugs you. Don't get me started on the word...BLOG !

Eventually you begin to find out your actually not alone in this irritation.

My least favourite word right now is: issues...Issues? All the 'talking heads' are using it like it infers they are intellectual or something...a little while ago it was Gravitas. !

What happened to, problem, difficulty, trouble, condition, corollary, etc..or even a periodical..Pretentious use of other words, causing a rise in blood pressure that you feel a need to share, please feel free to post below.

I wonder how many words others of you feel the same about. Some? Few? Many?

I always though 'issue' was about .....''coming forth'' or,'' flowing out" ...so I looked it up...and by George, am right! So for your delectation and edification here's the definition of ISSUE according to Webster.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1is·sue
noun
\ˈi-(ˌ)shü, chiefly Southern ˈi-shə, chiefly British ˈis-(ˌ)yü\
Definition of ISSUE
1
plural : proceeds from a source of revenue (as an estate)
2
: the action of going, coming, or flowing out : egress, emergence
3
: a means or place of going out : exit, outlet
4
: offspring, progeny
5
a : a final outcome that usually constitutes a solution (as of a problem) or resolution (as of a difficulty) b obsolete : a final conclusion or decision about something arrived at after consideration c archaic : termination, end
6
a : a matter that is in dispute between two or more parties b (1) : a vital or unsettled matter (2) : concern, problem c : the point at which an unsettled matter is ready for a decision
7
: a discharge (as of blood) from the body
8
a : something coming forth from a specified source b obsolete : deed
9
a : the act of publishing or officially giving out or making available b : the thing or the whole quantity of things given out at one time
— is·sue·less adjective
— at issue
1
: in a state of controversy : in disagreement
2
also in issue : under discussion or in dispute
See issue defined for English-language learners »
See issue defined for kids »
Examples of ISSUE

She is concerned with a variety of social issues.
Water purity is a public health issue.
The President's speech addressed a number of important issues.
campaign issues like education and defense
The issue is poverty, not race: to talk about race is simply to confuse the issue.
The case involves some complicated legal issues.
He should stop dodging the issue and make a decision now.
There's an interesting article on page 12 of this issue.
the most recent issue of the magazine

Origin of ISSUE
Middle English, exit, proceeds, from Anglo-French, from issir to come out, go out, from Latin exire to go out, from ex- + ire to go; akin to Gothic iddja he went, Greek ienai to go, Sanskrit eti he goes
First Known Use: 14th century
Related to ISSUE
Synonyms: aftereffect, aftermath, backwash, child, conclusion, consequence, corollary, development, fate, fruit, effect, outcome, outgrowth, precipitate, product, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, upshot
Antonyms: antecedent, causation, cause, occasion, reason

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


If you feel the need to flame me , go ahead, I don't mind, just tell me what you think.
I look forward to seeing what others find irritating.

BTW...It doesn't have to be language...it can include anything.

By way of reinforcement, I offer this link in my defence....

..Warning...If Anglo-Saxon invectives and gutter English expressionism is likely to offend, do not link to this page:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish


So...Fire away...........

NB.

Above subject to revision and editing from time to time.


.
Maybee you can consider getting a dog, or another pet, perhaps they will understand your angst.
__________________
CHILCUTT~
The secret to a long life. Is knowing when it is time to leave.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-13-2011, 01:01 AM
elchivito's Avatar
¡Ay Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I find the use of "issue" as a euphonism for "problem" to be tedious, though I have started using it to conform to what people now see as the norm.

I also find "at the end of the day" tedious at best, though it is not used nearly as much as issue.
I remember when my son wanted to play the euphonism in orchestra, but I talked him into the flute.
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
What I want is some Kind of Hall Effect Meter

That installs on the COAX incoming to the T.V.
AND details the I.Q. of the Talking Head (OR "Talent") appearing on camera at the time.
(A Second sub meter would Judge Intelligence based on Vocabulary)

Would these devices be any kind of (accurate/empirical) Judgment of the general populace's level of "Smarts"?

(Hey,We watch these Muffin Heads,What does that say about US ?)
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 AM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 36,393
Speaking of Muffin heads. Fox news is often on where I eat lunch with the sound turned down. They have some really great looking ladies talking on there.

They look very fine as long as the sound is down.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
teezer's Avatar
ex minutiae manager
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Speaking of Muffin heads. Fox news is often on where I eat lunch with the sound turned down. They have some really great looking ladies talking on there.

They look very fine as long as the sound is down.
blame the caveman
Attached Thumbnails
I need to vent.....Long !-original-sin.jpg  
__________________
1989 300ce smoke silver / brazil, in a constant state of flux ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Fold on dotted line
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Mich
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilcutt View Post
Maybee you can consider getting a dog, or another pet, perhaps they will understand your angst.

Now you know why I am writing a book collecting " insidious euphemisms"

Soon, on a Kindle near you...

__________________
Strelnik
Invest in America: Buy a Congressman!

1950 170SD
1951 Citroen 11BN
1953 Citroen 11BNF limo
1953 220a project
1959 180D
1960 190D
1960 Borgward Isabella TS 2dr
1983 240D daily driver
1983 380SL
1990 350SDL daily driver alt
3 x Citroen DS21M, down from 5
3 x Citroen 2CV, down from 6
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page