Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,334
GW is an embarassement?

Here's a good photo- can anyone defend it?George Washington statue is hidden at the MLK rally in Columbia , SC

The annual MLK observance at the state house in Columbia SC had an interesting
twist this year. The event is held on the north side steps of the statehouse.
Prominent at that location is a large bronze statue of George Washington.
This year, the NAACP constructed a "box" to conceal the father of our country
from view so that participants would not be 'offended' by his presence.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 40,638
Ignorant bastids don't know he educated and then emancipated his slaves while providing for the continued support of the elderly slaves.

The probably think Jefferson was in their bed. Er, corner.
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,054
what photo???
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandoo62 View Post
what photo???
You cannot see the photo on your computer?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: beautiful Bucks Co, PA
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
Here's a good photo- can anyone defend it?George Washington statue is hidden at the MLK rally in Columbia , SC

The annual MLK observance at the state house in Columbia SC had an interesting
twist this year. The event is held on the north side steps of the statehouse.
Prominent at that location is a large bronze statue of George Washington.
This year, the NAACP constructed a "box" to conceal the father of our country
from view so that participants would not be 'offended' by his presence.
"George Washington was born into a world in which slavery was accepted. He became a slave owner when his father died in 1743. At the age of eleven, he inherited ten slaves and 500 acres of land. When he began farming Mount Vernon eleven years later, at the age of 22, he had a work force of about 36 slaves. With his marriage to Martha Custis in 1759, 20 of her slaves came to Mount Vernon. After their marriage, Washington purchased even more slaves. The slave population also increased because the slaves were marrying and raising their own families. By 1799, when George Washington died, there were 316 slaves living on the estate."

Perhaps the descendents of GW's slaves found his likeness offending. Are you claiming they are wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
"George Washington was born into a world in which slavery was accepted. He became a slave owner when his father died in 1743. At the age of eleven, he inherited ten slaves and 500 acres of land. When he began farming Mount Vernon eleven years later, at the age of 22, he had a work force of about 36 slaves. With his marriage to Martha Custis in 1759, 20 of her slaves came to Mount Vernon. After their marriage, Washington purchased even more slaves. The slave population also increased because the slaves were marrying and raising their own families. By 1799, when George Washington died, there were 316 slaves living on the estate."

Perhaps the descendents of GW's slaves found his likeness offending. Are you claiming they are wrong?
Nice bio- now tell us why you or someone else would be offended- or do you think the bio itself is enough? Do you also think that your version of this bio is complete?


Here's the rest you forgot to include:
George Washington's attitude toward slavery changed as he grew older. During the Revolution, as he and fellow patriots strove for liberty, Washington became increasingly conscious of the contradiction between this struggle and the system of slavery. By the time of his presidency, he seems to have believed that slavery was wrong and against the principles of the new nation.

As President, Washington did not lead a public fight against slavery, however, because he believed it would tear the new nation apart. Abolition had many opponents, especially in the South. Washington seems to have feared that if he took such a public stand, the southern states would withdraw from the Union (something they would do seventy years later, leading to the Civil War). He had worked too hard to build the country to risk tearing it apart.

Privately, however, Washington could -- and did -- lead by example. In his will, he arranged for all of the slaves he owned to be freed after the death of his wife, Martha. He also left instructions for the continued care and education of some of his former slaves, support and training for all of the children until they came of age, and continuing support for the elderly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: beautiful Bucks Co, PA
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
Nice bio- now tell us why you or someone else would be offended- or do you think the bio itself is enough? Do you also think that your version of this bio is complete?
No.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
No.
See the edited version of my response and tell me your original post still stands; because I think you are off base.

Here is where both quotes from myself and you came from.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: beautiful Bucks Co, PA
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
See the edited version of my response and tell me your original post still stands; because I think you are off base.

Here is where both quotes from myself and you came from.
I asked if you thought the descendents GW's slaves were wrong to be offended. You have yet to answer that question.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
...can anyone defend it?...
Sure - 1st Amendment.

I can't see your photo, either, but this page has it: http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/washstatue.asp

The local NAACP chapter says that they intended no disrespect. The box was supposed to provide a place to hang a graphic background to go behind the speakers at the event, but the graphic wasn't ready in time.

Seems really foolish to me. I can understand why they might find GW offensive, but they shouldn't disrespect him in that fashion, IMHO. Seems like a bad PR move for the organizers of that rally.

Is this a big deal?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: beautiful Bucks Co, PA
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
Sure - 1st Amendment.

I can't see your photo, either, but this page has it: http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/washstatue.asp

The local NAACP chapter says that they intended no disrespect. The box was supposed to provide a place to hang a graphic background to go behind the speakers at the event, but the graphic wasn't ready in time.

Seems really foolish to me. I can understand why they might find GW offensive, but they shouldn't disrespect him in that fashion, IMHO. Seems like a bad PR move for the organizers of that rally.

Is this a big deal?
If one is knee-jerk bimbo it might be big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,054
background my ass. their response sounds so typically politically correct.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Emmerich's Avatar
M-100's in Dallas
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 678
If the races were reversed in this scenario do you think anyone would howl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
Sure - 1st Amendment.

I can't see your photo, either, but this page has it: http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/washstatue.asp

The local NAACP chapter says that they intended no disrespect. The box was supposed to provide a place to hang a graphic background to go behind the speakers at the event, but the graphic wasn't ready in time.

Seems really foolish to me. I can understand why they might find GW offensive, but they shouldn't disrespect him in that fashion, IMHO. Seems like a bad PR move for the organizers of that rally.

Is this a big deal?
__________________
MB-less
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Emmerich's Avatar
M-100's in Dallas
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 678
And all those people were descendants of slaves? Nice assumption if you don't worry about a basis in reality. Thats like blacks who want to be called African American when they have no idea if the are of African descent. Chris Rock does a great stand up on that subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
Perhaps the descendents of GW's slaves found his likeness offending. Are you claiming they are wrong?
__________________
MB-less
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: beautiful Bucks Co, PA
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmerich View Post
If the races were reversed in this scenario do you think anyone would howl?
I don't think so.
In the photo from Snopes, it seems to me the box was in a temporary place while the stage was being organized.
Can you provide another photo that sows the box around GW while the show was in progress?

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page