Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 PM
sfloriII's Avatar
Still pedaling...
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,614
VA proposes toll near NC border

Ugh!! I'll be re-routing trips around this toll, much the same way I avoid tolls heading north on I-95 to Philadelphia.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/may/11/toll11_20100510-222607-ar-160769/

__________________

Current:
2014 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion 43,000 miles.

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (wife's).

Past:
2006 Jetta TDI 135,970 miles. Sold Nov. '13.
1995 E-320 Special Edition. 220,200 miles. Sold Sept. '07.
1987 190-E 16 valve. 153,000 miles. Sold Feb. '06.
1980 300-D 225,000 miles. Donated to the National Kidney Foundation.
1980 240-D manual, 297,500 miles. Totaled by inattentive driver.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 PM
dynalow's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,599
A user fee. I have no problem with it. In theory.
In practice, lemme see the details. Be nice to have the blown recaps cleaned off the roadway regularly doen that away.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 PM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
The money would have to be spent on improvements along the corridor...
...until the legislature figures out how to divert the money directly into the General Fund like "earmarks" often do.

I'm sort of ambivalent when it comes to tolls. All of the states surrounding CT have some toll roads/bridges. So with the highest fuel prices in the northeast, we get a lot of through traffic between NY and Boston with very little revenue coming back in. I've already got EZ-Pass that I use throughout the northeastern state including NY and NJ. With the transponders you don't even need tollbooths anymore.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,397
You don't need tollbooths, but you get to have your car's location spied upon at will with EZ-Piss.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Aren't fuel taxes Fed and State already the most accurate user fees. The reality is a toll will target one group of users, those who drive I-95 but users of all the other roadways will not be charged that fee. Any chance tolls collected on I-95 will be put in an Only I-95 Maintainence/Improvment "Lock-Box"?

How about monitoring traffic flow and apportioning the user fee/fuel taxes accordingly. They already monitor commercial traffic at weigh stations and adding license plate monitoring capability should be pretty simple if the capability is not already in place at every bridge and tunnel ala` DHS.

If the issue is a lack of revenue how about privatizing the road, get rid of the involvment of state Highway Dept. employee unions and prevailing wage union construction requirements. It is possible that someone can manage it more efficiently than RICO'd politicised union hacks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,397
Just what we need, more spyware on our roads. Yep. Actually the fairest would be a tire tax with longer-wearing tires being taxed higher, same with truck tires. Heavier vehicles wear tires down quicker, so it would even be proportional to the impact of the vehicle on the road. Combine it with annual inspections to make sure people aren't riding around on bald tires.

This would act as a per mile tax regardless of what roads are used and what fuel the car uses.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 254
Why not just pay your home state a flat per-mile fee for each mile you accrue on each vehicle you own? The state can mandate that each vehicle be equipped with an OnStar-like system that provides your odometer reading to your state DMV once per month. The fee could be automatically debited from the financial account of your choice. Oops! NSF in that account? No problem, just program the OnStar system to disable the ignition switch under those circumstances, and turn those deadbeats into instant pedestrians.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC View Post
Why not just pay your home state a flat per-mile fee for each mile you accrue on each vehicle you own? The state can mandate that each vehicle be equipped with an OnStar-like system that provides your odometer reading to your state DMV once per month. The fee could be automatically debited from the financial account of your choice. Oops! NSF in that account? No problem, just program the OnStar system to disable the ignition switch under those circumstances, and turn those deadbeats into instant pedestrians.
More spying. You really want to give the government that much power over your personal possessions? What about hackers? Or the possiblity that it would be used for tracking of location as well as miles?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texafornia
Posts: 5,493
If You would like to see the entire length of the 95 turned into a toll road--and sold to a spanish or other euro countrys private buig buisness,

Then support dICK pEERY for president!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
Aren't fuel taxes Fed and State already the most accurate user fees. The reality is a toll will target one group of users, those who drive I-95 but users of all the other roadways will not be charged that fee. Any chance tolls collected on I-95 will be put in an Only I-95 Maintainence/Improvment "Lock-Box"?

How about monitoring traffic flow and apportioning the user fee/fuel taxes accordingly. They already monitor commercial traffic at weigh stations and adding license plate monitoring capability should be pretty simple if the capability is not already in place at every bridge and tunnel ala` DHS.

If the issue is a lack of revenue how about privatizing the road, get rid of the involvment of state Highway Dept. employee unions and prevailing wage union construction requirements. It is possible that someone can manage it more efficiently than RICO'd politicised union hacks.
Chicago Skyway, Chicago parking meters, both privatized in recent years.
Can you guess which way their user fees went?

I'll make it easy for you, don't pick down.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 40,791
I like toll roads for exactly the reasons most of you hate them: You hate to pay for the road on which you travel. I ain't traveling on your durned roads up yonder in yankeeland so why should I pay for them? And vice versa, of course.
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
They should install a "Yankee Uturn" on the northern most border of Virginia requiring all yankees to make an immediate Uturn and go back where they came from.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
Now,Now, Children...

we don't Spurn all those "Yankee" Dollars comin a'visitin.

The U.S Interstate System is right about NOW beyond it's useful lifespan
WITHOUT a Massive Infrastructure Re-Build.

We're all acting like Ostriches about it!

The VA plan is all about Revenue Diversion,NONE of those monies will go to
I-95's upkeep.

(Where's the MONEY gonna come from?)
The Tolls needed would be Astronomical.
[Between $75 and $100 per vehicle, per Toll both, per trip.]
[Feds will not put up that kinda Moola.]
AND most of the State's are eying Chpt. 13.

The Bureaucracy (s) STILL haven't UNDERSTOOD we're LOOKING at 1929
DOWN BOTH BARRELS.
Profligate spending,Etc.,Etc.,Etc.
Congress should surrender it's pay and benefits and work Gratis.
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 AM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
Just what we need, more spyware on our roads. Yep. Actually the fairest would be a tire tax with longer-wearing tires being taxed higher, same with truck tires. Heavier vehicles wear tires down quicker, so it would even be proportional to the impact of the vehicle on the road. Combine it with annual inspections to make sure people aren't riding around on bald tires.

This would act as a per mile tax regardless of what roads are used and what fuel the car uses.
Such a tax would be unfair to people who drive less than the average. Their tires would need replacement due to aging before they were worn out. As a result, they would be forced to pay a higher tax rate.
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,239
MD is looking to hike tolls on the Bay Bridge and I 95. These roads and bridges are already self-supporting so it is a way to hide a tax that goes to the General Fund.

__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page