PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Chevy Cruze Diesel (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/off-topic-discussion/334411-chevy-cruze-diesel.html)

davidmash 02-07-2013 10:10 PM

Chevy Cruze Diesel
 
Chevy
Quote:

Unveiled at today's Chicago Auto Show, Chevrolet says the new version of the Cruze powered by a 2-liter, four-cylinder turbo diesel will offer buyers 42 mpg on the highway and a range of 650 miles between fill-ups. With 148 hp and 258 ft-lb of torque, Chevy claims the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel it's proper name, a bit of over-eager marketing will outrun its major competitor, the Volkswagen Jetta TDI, reaching 60 mph in 8.6 seconds.
Quote:

With gas prices already rising well before the typical summer surge, the Cruze diesel may have arrived just in time. But Chevy will have to sell the Cruze diesel on its benefits, thanks to a starting sticker price of $25,695, about $2,600 more than a base Jetta TDI and $2,000 more than a top-line gas-powered Cruze. If Chevy can score with a diesel-powered version of its mainstream compact sedan, expect many others to follow close behind.

spdrun 02-07-2013 10:14 PM

Cripple-o-matic transmission appears mandatory, even if you're not an amputee. (And probably not even a dual-clutch box, but a normal slushbox.)

I'm also surprised at the 42 mpg highway figure. Doesn't their ECO gas model already get high-30s/low-40s highway.

Hatterasguy 02-07-2013 10:51 PM

A gas Chevy Cruze Eco with the manual will do about that mileage.

I know someone with one and on rural roads and highways he gets between 40-50 depending on conditions. I think he said lifetime mileage average is in the low 40 range.

The diesel has lots of torque and an auto though, which means its doing roughly 10mpg better than a regular Cruze.

TheDon 02-07-2013 11:03 PM

I cant wait to test drive these things.

The cruze isn't that bad of a car. Chevy might have finally gotten their stuff together... or just started selling european made cars to the US market.

davidmash 02-07-2013 11:23 PM

I like the idea of the possibility of a Mazda 6 as well.

cmac2012 02-08-2013 12:37 AM

Just did a search on the Cruze. Chev's website said it has 10 airbags (?!).

Does seem like a promising car. I may try to rent one someday when I'm in need.

Jim B. 02-08-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmac2012 (Post 3096656)
Just did a search on the Cruze. Chev's website said it has 10 airbags (?!).

Does seem like a promising car. I may try to rent one someday when I'm in need.



Plus 1 windbag whenever your mother-in-law is riding in the back seat.

barry12345 02-08-2013 01:05 AM

I wonder if this model will actually be marketed? Not much fuel advantage over many of the current gas engines.

Except in the past many diesels in normal hands exceeded their epa ratings. Gas cars generally never do. There has to be a worth while milage spread to justify buying diesel.

I would also want to see some owners do over 100k and the maintanance costs if any on that engine before considering one if I did. I thought it might be an existing engine used in europe but think the claimed milage is too low for that.

Can't Know 02-08-2013 02:06 AM

I'm not a fan of VW, but were I looking in this segment I would be hard pressed to add more than 10% to the cost of a near-iconic Jetta TDI. You can buy a lot of fuel for $2,600, about two year's worth.

I know a few guys who have logged more than 350,000 miles on their Jettas without any major repairs. That kind of longevity is a good bonus.

BillGrissom 02-08-2013 02:08 AM

I read the engine is made in Germany, with the car assembled in the U.S. The 4 cyl engine uses "common rail" injection, which keeps a steady very high pressure (10,000 psi?) on the fuel rail, with electronic fuel injectors. Because they can taper the opening of the valves, they avoid the sharp combustion bang caused by our spring poppet injectors and can therefore eliminate the pre-chamber which aids efficiency, along with a finer spray from the higher pressure. The drawback is much more complexity. The high-pressure fuel pump is mechanically driven and I expect very expensive, though our IP's are not cheap. Common-rail has been used for over a decade and is a main reason that big rigs pollute less today.

I also question the value. My son bought a Cruze Eco, on my recommendation. That gets the same 42 mpg for $4000 less. Diesel costs $0.30/gal more in CA. The technology is interesting, but I'm not sure the engine will last longer and I expect repairs are much more. Still, many people love the VW TDI diesel and pay a premium for it.

E150GT 02-08-2013 08:05 AM

I could never buy a chevy, but Id like to test one.

catmandoo62 02-08-2013 08:29 AM

it's more expensive then a tdi jetta and gets worse milage.BUT it can get to 60 mph faster.ooohh baby!i want one.NOT. the big 3 just will not get the horsepower war out of their a$$'$ i do not care if it takes me 10 minutes to get to 60 give me 60-70 mpg and i'm fine with that.

t walgamuth 02-08-2013 09:13 AM

I'd consider it with a six manual....unfortunately not offered it appears.

rs899 02-08-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

the big 3 just will not get the horsepower war out of their a$$'$ i do not care if it takes me 10 minutes to get to 60 give me 60-70 mpg and i'm fine with that.
I wish there were more people who think like you and I , but evidently not enough to build one car for, at least not here in the US.

With all the tweaking they have done over the last few years to squeeze horsepower out, you would think they could produce a 1.0 litre gas engine that could produce 100-120 hp and drive a small practical light car. Basically update the cars we had in the early 80s after the gas embargos and wars.

TheDon 02-08-2013 09:26 AM

It's not going to get a manual. :(.

I'm sure we could get better than 42mpg. Stick a scan gauge on it and drive! Soon as my dealer gets them in, I'm going to test drive then.

JB3 02-08-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs899 (Post 3096738)
I wish there were more people who think like you and I , but evidently not enough to build one car for, at least not here in the US.

With all the tweaking they have done over the last few years to squeeze horsepower out, you would think they could produce a 1.0 litre gas engine that could produce 100-120 hp and drive a small practical light car. Basically update the cars we had in the early 80s after the gas embargos and wars.

make that x3.

What I don't understand is the misidentification of the target market. Even a cursory take on the TDI scene in this country demonstrates that the manual versions get the better economy, command a higher price, and instantly resell since everyone wants them. If you are into small economy diesels, you are into manual gearbox's. Since this vehicle is one of the only direct competitors to the TDI brands, how can they make that mistake? The first version available in this country should have been manual. Hopefully they remedy this issue before sales on the car demonstrate a tepid response.

For example, id be all over this car if it came in a stick, I love chevy, and I like domestic products, and other modern chevy vehicles ive been extremely pleased with, apart from their inability to achieve high economy. How they made that mistake simply boggles the mind. They've produced a car thats more expensive, less economical, and doesn't appeal to everyone who loves great fuel economy.

Still going to try and get the GF to look at one though.

TX76513 02-08-2013 09:40 AM

I own a VW TDI and have have had a Cruz Rental. The marrying of a diesel in a Cruz does not even get me exicited, just painting the pig.

JB3 02-08-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX76513 (Post 3096745)
I own a VW TDI and have have had a Cruz Rental. The marrying of a diesel in a Cruz does not even get me exicited, just painting the pig.

I loved the cobalt. How would you say it compares to that older model?

Never been in a cruze, but as much as I love the TDI, I do find those cars a bit cramped. Ironic considering my DD 86 Mk2, but when safety features are dispensed with, you have a lot more interior room :D

JB3 02-08-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDon (Post 3096739)
It's not going to get a manual. :(.

I'm sure we could get better than 42mpg. Stick a scan gauge on it and drive! Soon as my dealer gets them in, I'm going to test drive then.


where did you see this? I haven't found a specific on what transmissions will be available in the diesel variant. I even signed up for the newsletter to see what they say

Zulfiqar 02-08-2013 09:52 AM

the mpg difference would be a lot higher as we diesel users know, real world mileage in a gas engine car differs a lot from the white window sticker.

OTOH - the diesel benz's get approximately their claimed mpg all day long even after decades of service, speaking of experience of owning a 2.5L nissan altima with cvt slushie machine, they promise way north of 30 mpg, I could never ever get more than 25 out of it, even with A/C off, tires filled to max, no cargo, no passenger, barely touching the throttle - doing 60 mph constant with the rpm at about 1900 for hours on end.

As soon as this hits the market, Im going to test one and the diesel mazda too.

spdrun 02-08-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB3 (Post 3096749)
where did you see this? I haven't found a specific on what transmissions will be available in the diesel variant. I even signed up for the newsletter to see what they say

TSOR on Google. This being said, they may release a manual in a few months -- typically, they EPA certify the engine/transmission combo with an autotragic first, since there's more of a market for it.

JB3 02-08-2013 10:03 AM

no stick confirmed, my web chat with chevy-


Welcome to Chevrolet. Please wait while we find an agent to assist you... [You are now chatting with Beth.]

09:49:54Beth:Hello! Thank you for contacting Chevrolet. My name is Beth , how may I help you today?

09:50:42Customer:Hi Beth. Im curios if you can tell me what transmission options will be available in the 2014 cruze diesel. Im specifically interested in whether or not it will have a manual option

09:51:03Beth:Thanks for your question! Please allow me a few moments to locate some information for you.

09:52:22Customer: ok, thanks

09:52:49Beth:You are welcome. I show that the Transmission for the 2014 Cruze diesel will be a six-speed automatic.

09:53:55Customer:are there any plans to release a manual version eventually? It will only be available with the 6-speed automatic?

09:54:26Beth:I will send you a website that has more information about the 2014 Cruze. http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/cruze-diesel/2014.html?id=1360335228794

09:54:51Beth:Unfortunately, I only show that the vehicle will be offered with a six speed automatic transmission.

09:55:01Customer: ok, thanks for your time!

09:56:01Beth:You are welcome. You may sign up for e-mail updates on the following website: Sign up for Chevrolet Email Updates.

09:56:34Customer:I have done so, thanks!

rs899 02-08-2013 10:09 AM

you should have ended with "please convey my extreme disappointment to anyone who gives a $ht in the Corporate Offices."

We'll just keep driving our Mk2 Jetta IDIs, I guess

Hatterasguy 02-08-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catmandoo62 (Post 3096714)
it's more expensive then a tdi jetta and gets worse milage.BUT it can get to 60 mph faster.ooohh baby!i want one.NOT. the big 3 just will not get the horsepower war out of their a$$'$ i do not care if it takes me 10 minutes to get to 60 give me 60-70 mpg and i'm fine with that.

By big 3 do you mean BMW, Mercedes, and Audi? Because that's the only HP war going on right now outside of the sports cars.

JB3 02-08-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs899 (Post 3096765)
you should have ended with "please convey my extreme disappointment to anyone who gives a $ht in the Corporate Offices."

We'll just keep driving our Mk2 Jetta IDIs, I guess


I did ask beth to convey a comment to the sales department for me.

I said that they have misidentified the American compact car diesel owner as being concerned with HP and 1/4 mile times. I said that I own a 30 year old 50 hp vehicle, and the only number I care about is miles per gallon, and my square antique will still blow this 2014 vehicle out of the water in economy by 5mpg or more and is still capable of modern road driving, despite having 100 less HP than the new cruze diesel. With all the technology donated towards making this vehicle faster than the TDI, they should have instead worked on making them far more efficient, simple, and reliable, and then they could watch the orders roll in.

spdrun 02-08-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB3 (Post 3096761)
no stick confirmed, my web chat with chevy-

The chat with the salesdroid (probably in India, not Indiana) doesn't speak to the eventual release of anything. She probably just has a computer and electronic spec sheet in front of her, and can't speak to anything outside the spec sheet.

JB3 02-08-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdrun (Post 3096778)
The chat with the salesdroid (probably in India, not Indiana) doesn't speak to the eventual release of anything. She probably just has a computer and electronic spec sheet in front of her, and can't speak to anything outside the spec sheet.

no doubt you are correct. I assumed her/his real name is Singh. However, with just the spec sheet and advertisements, still informative

Txjake 02-08-2013 10:57 AM

How much to refill the urea tank?

t walgamuth 02-08-2013 11:04 AM

Just drink plenty of coffee or beer and unzip and let fly!:P

(prolly not).

DieselPaul 02-08-2013 11:21 AM

It'll probably do better than 42, the Mercedes Bluetecs and the Jetta TDIs all seem to get a chunk above their EPA rating.

Can't Know 02-08-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim B. (Post 3096658)
Plus 1 windbag whenever your mother-in-law is riding in the back seat.

In some cases that windbag may just be the owner, who can forget the early Prius adopters? :rolleyes: :P ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by catmandoo62 (Post 3096714)
I do not care if it takes me 10 minutes to get to 60 give me 60-70 mpg and i'm fine with that.

You may not care, but the people behind you probably would. :D ;)

So long as the collective unconscious in the epa is that diesels are evil, not a whole lot is going to change. And I'd bet the lack of a stick in the Cruze is more related to emissions, with the on-and-off throttle and deceleration, etc. VW has had the time and resulting expertise to know how to do it, GM is really just learning.

I grew up a Chevy (and GM) guy and I applaud their efforts, but this is like calling up a kid from triple A with a 4.5 ERA and sending him in against Rafael Soriano. :o

Zulfiqar 02-08-2013 12:25 PM

this might be the opel engine used in vectras etc over in EU, pretty good engines. The problem lies that the average american consumer loves his/her mighty powerful american built relaxo-cruiser with a big lazy engine. It also doesnt help that the average customer thinks of filling diesel at the pump as "I cant be seen doing that" or the tree guys that come up to me like Jehovas witnesses to speak of keeping the environment clean by driving a Prius etc.

Lets wait and see.

Angel 02-08-2013 02:27 PM

Interesting.
I know at least a few hybrid owners - and none of them bought the hybrid becuase they wanted to look smug, or lord their economy over others - each of them (5 that i can count right off) just wanted a basic car with the best MPG's that they could find. None of these people are what I'd call "car enthusiasts" so their market research was minimal beforehand - the best might have included "Consumer Reports"
and thats cool - they are all retired people and librarians (and others) and they all seem happy with their purchase (becuase I keep asking them :)

I should note that I'm hard pressed to find a hybrid with a manual transmission (Honda CRZ?) and none of my small sample population owns one - they must not care too much about it.

so IMHO - Chevy is doing it right.

These same people can now add a Diesel to their list of potential cars. even better an "American Made" diesel (no idea if its really american, made, but I'll bet that you all know at least one retiree that would rather buy an American brand than a foriegn one). So now the "buy economy" crowd has an american diesel choice.

Personally I also would also rather my money go to an American who makes cars, but we all know that cars are complex machines and the market is not that simple (spoken by a Subaru and Kia owning guy on a Mercedes forum :) This can be debated in another thread if that dead horse needs another beating :)

Us car guys can argue BHP, real world MPG's and ergonomics all we want, but for all of the non-car people that dont put a lot of thought into buying a car (because really - are any of them them bad cars anymore?) -the Cruze Diesel is great to have as an option.

(sorry for the run on sentance)


Keep it up GM - this is furthering diesel acceptance in this country - and that is a good thing.

-John

Hatterasguy 02-08-2013 02:28 PM

I always thought the Cruze and Focus are two of the nicest little cars you can get. Much nicer than their Japanese or Korean equivalents.

The Focus in sporty trim isn't a terrible drive either for a FWD car.

spdrun 02-08-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatterasguy (Post 3096979)
I always thought the Cruze and Focus are two of the nicest little cars you can get. Much nicer than their Japanese or Korean equivalents.

The Focus in sporty trim isn't a terrible drive either for a FWD car.

The new Focus is pretty decent, the previous (pre-2010?) was crappy. At least the one I rented sucked. Crappy interior user interface combined with stalling a few times on curvy mountain roads north of Phoenix. The kind of roads where locals do 60, and don't expect to find a stalled car around a bend :eek:

t walgamuth 02-08-2013 03:12 PM

Come on Ford, give us a blue oval option!

Can't Know 02-08-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatterasguy (Post 3096979)
I always thought the Cruze and Focus are two of the nicest little cars you can get. Much nicer than their Japanese or Korean equivalents.

The Focus in sporty trim isn't a terrible drive either for a FWD car.

The best little car I've been in in the recent past was a Nissan Versa. I didn't think much of it before spending a week with one, but I came away solidly impressed, at least considering this market segment. I can't recall what they named it in Europe, but over there it's available with a diesel and, you guessed it, a stick. I saw 36-37 on the highway with the automatic, 2-3 people, luggage and running 70-75, so I can only imagine how much better that would be with the "European" option. :D

rscurtis 02-08-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txjake (Post 3096805)
How much to refill the urea tank?

It's incidental, DEF is cheaper than fuel.

Skid Row Joe 02-08-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E150GT (Post 3096705)
I could never buy a chevy, but Id like to test one.

That's exactly how I feel about the brand. Ever hear of the late '70s disaster diesels GM manufactured and put in their cars??

Test driving the Corvette was as close to buying one as I've wanted to get since the last new Chevrolet I bought in 1976.

"42 mpg?"" :laughing: Reallly?? Heck a 2005/06 E320 CDI for waay less money gets a bonafide 41 mpg @ 75-80 mph......and it's a real car, and not an econobox. :)

Pooka 02-08-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 3097247)
That's exactly how I feel about the brand. Ever hear of the late '70s disaster diesels GM manufactured and put in their cars??

Test driving the Corvette was as close to buying one as I've wanted to get since the last new Chevrolet I bought in 1976.

"42 mpg?"" :laughing: Reallly?? Heck a 2005/06 E320 CDI for waay less money gets a bonafide 41 mpg @ 75-80 mph......and it's a real car, and not an econobox. :)

I was going to mention the same thing about the E320 CDI or even the 124 300D with the 2.5 turbo. The 124 300D's seem to be going for around $3,500 and get between 34 and 36 mpg at 70 mph.

And like Joe said.... You get a real car in the deal!

catmandoo62 02-09-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 3097247)
Ever hear of the late '70s disaster diesels GM manufactured and put in their cars??

did you ever hear of the ford 6.0's they came out with in 04.some of em didn't even make it off the transport.at least olds had the balls to give it a try.BUT from day one i always said they needed more head bolts.even a gas big block chevy has 6 bolts per cylinder.twice the comp in the diesel and 2/3 the head bolts ain't gonna fly.BUT they did add more bolts to the 4.3 v6 engines and they were awesome engines that rarely had headgasket problems.i had one in an 84 celebrity wagon.35 mpg all day long.body fell apart along time ago but i still have that engine waiting for something to put it in.

Hatterasguy 02-09-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can't Know (Post 3097051)
The best little car I've been in in the recent past was a Nissan Versa. I didn't think much of it before spending a week with one, but I came away solidly impressed, at least considering this market segment. I can't recall what they named it in Europe, but over there it's available with a diesel and, you guessed it, a stick. I saw 36-37 on the highway with the automatic, 2-3 people, luggage and running 70-75, so I can only imagine how much better that would be with the "European" option. :D

We almost bought my sister a new one when we couldn't find a decent used car. Not a bad vehicle for the money, I'd never buy one but for a single girl who could car less about cars its perfect.

Skid Row Joe 02-09-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t walgamuth (Post 3096996)
Come on Ford, give us a blue oval option!

They already did........the 7.3 PSD. :D

Skid Row Joe 02-09-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 3097247)
That's exactly how I feel about the brand. Ever hear of the late '70s disaster diesels GM manufactured and put in their cars??

Test driving the Corvette was as close to buying one as I've wanted to get since the last new Chevrolet I bought in 1976.

"42 mpg?"" :laughing: Reallly?? Heck a 2005/06 E320 CDI for waay less money gets a bonafide 41 mpg @ 75-80 mph......and it's a real car, and not an econobox. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by catmandoo62 (Post 3097374)
did you ever hear of the ford 6.0's they came out with in 04.some of em didn't even make it off the transport.at least olds had the balls to give it a try.BUT from day one i always said they needed more head bolts.even a gas big block chevy has 6 bolts per cylinder.twice the comp in the diesel and 2/3 the head bolts ain't gonna fly.BUT they did add more bolts to the 4.3 v6 engines and they were awesome engines that rarely had headgasket problems.i had one in an 84 celebrity wagon.35 mpg all day long.body fell apart along time ago but i still have that engine waiting for something to put it in.

Not even close - Ford fixed every 6.0 that needed it. Apples and orangutans......

You can Google the '70s GM passenger car V8 diesels, and read-up on what a disaster they were. If in fact this was all news to you....
.
GM couldn't fix the disaster of their diesel engine fail - was how bad it was.

catmandoo62 02-10-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 3097624)
Not even close - Ford fixed every 6.0 that needed it. Apples and orangutans......

You can Google the '70s GM passenger car V8 diesels, and read-up on what a disaster they were. If in fact this was all news to you....
.
GM couldn't fix the disaster of their diesel engine fail - was how bad it was.

whats up with that?? deleting your post saying i thought the 5.7 was the greatest thing since sliced cheese.which by the way i never said or implied.AND you need to look back in the 70's just what kind of technology there was in THIS country for diesels.not much other then the ag industry and even at that IH used german diesels in alot of their tractors in the late 60's early 70's because they couldn't build a decent diesel.so to go out on a limb and market a diesel car when how many other manu's had them(vw,and mercedes).they had the fortitude to try.
go ask most any diesel pickup driver about the 6.0 and they will cringe.the reputation is there they were junk out of the box.and WHY.because ford couldn't keep their hands off the injection system because......they needed MORE H.P. then the d-max and cummins.
If they just would have left it like IH designed it they wouldn't have had near the problems.IH sure didn't with their 6.0.heck even the glorious benz had diesel issues with the #14 heads on the 86 sdl's and they had issues again 4 yrs later with the 350sdl's yeah you know the one"the rodbender".AND mercedes had been building diesels for what 50 years???
and the 5.7 is not news to me i bought my first one in 1987.a 1979 toronado.drove it for 2 years and sold it to a buddy of mine's dad,who is still driving it to this day.and the heads have never been off since i've known the car,AND if you know anything about the 5.7 which i doubt you do it STILL has the D block,research that!i have also had 4 other 5.7's and only had the heads off one of em.2 of em are still on the road that i know of so they evidently aren't the disaster you portray.

4x4_Welder 02-10-2013 01:35 AM

My experience with GM diesels is with the 6.2 in a Suburban. Very poorly designed engine. Too small of an oil capacity (6qts), leading to a very short oil change interval, plus if you try and convince it to not get run over on the highway cold, it puts all the oil in the heads and starves the bearings. Also, you have to undo the injector lines to take off the valve covers. Who does that?
I currently have a Ford/IH 7.3IDI n/a swapped into my 69 F250, and it's a much better engine. Smoother, far more power, and easy to maintain. It also has a 10qt pan, so it's much easier on the oil. That Suburban was hard pressed to do 60 on the level empty, the F250 will do 70 pulling a 5,000lb trailer with room to spare.

I'd be very hesitant to try a new GM diesel product.

Skippy 02-10-2013 08:43 AM

Back in '01 I used to drive a '93 GMC 2500 4x4 with the 6.2. It was a work truck owned by my employer at the time (USN). I would have gladly traded my Lincoln Town Car straight across for it, since the truck actually drove quite a bit nicer than the car, and straight line performance was similar. Of course, that's comparing a 100,000 mile '86 Lincoln to a 10,000 mile '93 mil-spec GMC. The only faults I could find with the truck were the automatic transmission (I strenuously prefer a manual) and the lack of AC (I was stationed in MS at the time), and the Lincoln suffered from the same issues.

t walgamuth 02-10-2013 10:11 AM

My farmer/diesel mechanic freinds said with the 6.2 you needed the 373 rear end. The 410 caused the engine to run too high rpm and cracked the main bearing webs. they said they never saw a cracked one in a truck with the 373 gears.

catmandoo62 02-10-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder (Post 3097668)
My experience with GM diesels is with the 6.2 in a Suburban. Very poorly designed engine. Too small of an oil capacity (6qts),
I currently have a Ford/IH 7.3IDI n/a swapped into my 69 F250, and it's a much better engine. Smoother, far more power, and easy to maintain. It also has a 10qt pan, so it's much easier on the oil. That Suburban was hard pressed to do 60 on the level empty, the F250 will do 70 pulling a 5,000lb trailer with room to spare.

I'd be very hesitant to try a new GM diesel product.

there in lies your first problem.every 6.2 or 6.5 i have had holds 8 qts of oil.and as for the IH 7.3 they are as is the cummins a medium duty engine,the 6.2 and 6.5 are lite duty.so to compare them is like comparing a fiat to a ferrari.BUT the one thing GM had that the other 2 didn't is they put diesels in half ton pickups.and this my friend is where the failure of the US big 3 comes into play.i DO NOT need 500H.P. in my pickup,i want milage.i need a pickup or suburban to haul my machines,which weigh about 350 lbs and take up most of the bed.and GM was the only one offering a diesel.my 92 to this day with 600,000 miles still gets over 25mpg.GM,ford and dodge all talk of small diesels for pickups but they have been talking about it for 10 yrs and still nothing so evidently they are still trying to win the H.P. war.as someone mentioned earlier.ask any prius owner why they bought one and the only answer you will here is"they get great milage"not they will smoke the tires for 3 blocks and pull a freight train.the first company that brings a half ton diesel back into the market will make a killing.

t walgamuth 02-10-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catmandoo62 (Post 3097745)
there in lies your first problem.every 6.2 or 6.5 i have had holds 8 qts of oil.and as for the IH 7.3 they are as is the cummins a medium duty engine,the 6.2 and 6.5 are lite duty.so to compare them is like comparing a fiat to a ferrari.BUT the one thing GM had that the other 2 didn't is they put diesels in half ton pickups.and this my friend is where the failure of the US big 3 comes into play.i DO NOT need 500H.P. in my pickup,i want milage.i need a pickup or suburban to haul my machines,which weigh about 350 lbs and take up most of the bed.and GM was the only one offering a diesel.my 92 to this day with 600,000 miles still gets over 25mpg.GM,ford and dodge all talk of small diesels for pickups but they have been talking about it for 10 yrs and still nothing so evidently they are still trying to win the H.P. war.as someone mentioned earlier.ask any prius owner why they bought one and the only answer you will here is"they get great milage"not they will smoke the tires for 3 blocks and pull a freight train.the first company that brings a half ton diesel back into the market will make a killing.

Excellent point!

I love my cummins but wish it were available in about 2/3 or 3/4 scale. Less weight less size less power better fuel economy but still would tow enough for me.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website