Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,805
You must be fricking kidding me!

Now don't get me wrong. I'm no gung-ho, "kill them all and let God sort them out" kind of guy and I'd best be described as a war hating peace monger but this is just WRONG! A slap in the face for the "boots on the ground"!

ABOVE the Bronze Star? For someone who sits in an secure control bunker?

Drone, cyber warriors get new medal

__________________
“Whatever story you're telling, it will be more interesting if, at the end you add, "and then everything burst into flames.”
― Brian P. Cleary, You Oughta Know By Now
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 AM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
It has made my dad's bronze star with a mustard stain worth less, meaning value, not monetary. He was awarded it for his actions during Operation Junction City.

Hiding behind a video screen playing a video game from across the world does not make one a hero...their lives weren't in danger.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
It has made my dad's bronze star with a mustard stain worth less, meaning value, not monetary. He was awarded it for his actions during Operation Junction City.

Hiding behind a video screen playing a video game from across the world does not make one a hero...their lives weren't in danger.
No it doesn't! Not to anyone who really cares about the sacrifices the troops made. I'd be PROUD to wear the Bronze Star. The "mickey mouse" medal they're proposing should rank with the "National Defense Ribbon", a.k.a. "Fire Guard" ribbon they issued us in the '60's and '70's.
__________________
“Whatever story you're telling, it will be more interesting if, at the end you add, "and then everything burst into flames.”
― Brian P. Cleary, You Oughta Know By Now
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Now don't get me wrong. I'm no gung-ho, "kill them all and let God sort them out" kind of guy and I'd best be described as a war hating peace monger but this is just WRONG! A slap in the face for the "boots on the ground"!

ABOVE the Bronze Star? For someone who sits in an secure control bunker?
I couldn't agree more.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
No it doesn't! Not to anyone who really cares about the sacrifices the troops made.
To future video game jockey's, it does. History has a way of forgetting about it's hero's, and remembering only the battle. Future battles will be fought by drones only, be it by air, land or sea. Those that sacrificed their own safety will be forgotten about.

I'm making sure that it won't be forgotten in my house and with my family or circle of friends.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Gilly's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Evansville WI
Posts: 9,616
I don't really see where it devalues the ones who were in the field of battle. It isn't the same decoration. As long as they don't treat it like an automatic award, if you really did something worthy of recognition, I don't see the harm in it. This coming from someone with a similar background, my dad was a Korean War Marine vet with a Purple Heart w/Silver Star and a fairly good size cigar box full of medals (to be honest I think a lot of them were automatic awards just for being over there, unit citations, NATO awards, and the like). Got shrap once and shot once.
Gilly
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Posting since Jan 2000
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Now don't get me wrong. I'm no gung-ho, "kill them all and let God sort them out" kind of guy and I'd best be described as a war hating peace monger but this is just WRONG! A slap in the face for the "boots on the ground"!

ABOVE the Bronze Star? For someone who sits in an secure control bunker?

Drone, cyber warriors get new medal

I had the very same reaction when I heard this on the radio yesterday. There's nothing wrong with giving someone doing a good job, recognition for it, but a combat medal for them is RIDICULOUS and insulting to those who have been/are in DANGEROUS combat. About the most danger these guys face is the coffee pot getting empty.

If the time ever comes that wherever these guys are working is physically attacked and they grab a rifle and begin returning fire, then if the circumstances end up warranting it, they should be decorated. Until then, keep them a pot full of hot coffee at hand and pay them for their service.
__________________
2 Thessalonians 3:10, Galatians 4:16, Psalm 33:12, Psalm 53:1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Gilly's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Evansville WI
Posts: 9,616
If you really think about the last paragraph, it begins to make sense:

The Bronze Star is the fourth-highest combat decoration and rewards meritorious service in battle, while the Silver Star is the third-highest combat award given for bravery. Several other awards, including the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, are also ranked higher, but are not awarded for combat.

As long as they don't give the geeks Purple Hearts for paper cuts, writers cramp, carpal tunnel, or tripping over their shoelaces on the way to the can, i am OK with it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Posting since Jan 2000
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
No it doesn't! Not to anyone who really cares about the sacrifices the troops made. I'd be PROUD to wear the Bronze Star. The "mickey mouse" medal they're proposing should rank with the "National Defense Ribbon", a.k.a. "Fire Guard" ribbon they issued us in the '60's and '70's.

I never heard the National Defense Medal called the "fire guard ribbon," but that is very appropriate. There have been zillions of people doing the same work and offering the same commitment, but just so happened they served in so called "Peace Time" so they didn't get the ribbon. That is the only qualification for this commendation, serving during specified periods of US military conflict.

The lifers are happy to get it because it fills in that row of ticket punches they where on their chests. This applies more so to career officers than to career enlisted personnel. Along these lines, I think that the officers doing their ticket punching is one of the things that led to the "women in combat" thing. For an officer to go to the highest levels, a Combat Infantrymans Badge(CIB) or other actual combat commendations in other branches, are a ticket that must be punched to make it to the top. I think that the women officers wanting a CIB for career development reasons was part of the force that led to the "women in combat" thing.
__________________
2 Thessalonians 3:10, Galatians 4:16, Psalm 33:12, Psalm 53:1

Last edited by Air&Road; 02-14-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Posting since Jan 2000
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
To future video game jockey's, it does. History has a way of forgetting about it's hero's, and remembering only the battle. Future battles will be fought by drones only, be it by air, land or sea. Those that sacrificed their own safety will be forgotten about.

I'm making sure that it won't be forgotten in my house and with my family or circle of friends.

Please, I don't want anyone to think that I am defending the medal for a drone pilot, because I AM NOT! I am just disspelling what seems to be a common misconception about drone flying.

Sense you mentioned video games, I think this would be a good place to point out that flying a drone is NOTHING like playing any video game yet invented. I think that most people think that flying a drone is nothing more than a video game.

The drone pilots have to be pilots trained and qualified in real aircraft. About the minimum requirements I've seen have been a Private Pilots Certificate, several hundred hours flight time and an Instrument Rating. Learning to fly, passing the checkride and then getting an Instrument Rating is not a trivial endeavor.
__________________
2 Thessalonians 3:10, Galatians 4:16, Psalm 33:12, Psalm 53:1
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 AM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
Please, I don't want anyone to think that I am defending the medal for a drone pilot, because I AM NOT! I am just disspelling what seems to be a common misconception about drone flying.

Sense you mentioned video games, I think this would be a good place to point out that flying a drone is NOTHING like playing any video game yet invented. I think that most people think that flying a drone is nothing more than a video game.

The drone pilots have to be pilots trained and qualified in real aircraft. About the minimum requirements I've seen have been a Private Pilots Certificate, several hundred hours flight time and an Instrument Rating. Learning to fly, passing the checkride and then getting an Instrument Rating is not a trivial endeavor.
They sit behind a bank of video screens, hidden from real danger, most of the times from the other side of the planet. Those that actually push the drones onto the runways see more danger than the video jockey does.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM
E150GT's Avatar
I'm a chicken
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
They sit behind a bank of video screens, hidden from real danger, most of the times from the other side of the planet. Those that actually push the drones onto the runways see more danger than the video jockey does.
So are all non combat actions not rewardable?
__________________
1984 300SD Orient Red/ Palomino
1989 560SEC
2016 Mazda 6 6 speed manual
1995 Ford F-150 reg cab 4.9 5speed manual
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by E150GT View Post
So are all non combat actions not rewardable?
I guess you missed the part where it's a medal that is above a Bronze Star.

I'm not against an award or a medal, I'm against it having more weight than those awarded to people who performed acts of bravery for theirs. Flying a drone is not an act of bravery...the pilot's life is not in danger.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
It's hard to think that it would be higher than a Bronze Star in precedence...damn.

Of course though, the BS is awarded for meritorius service in combat areas AND also for valor when the award is written as such. As the first, it is equal to a Meritorious Service Medal.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Posting since Jan 2000
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
They sit behind a bank of video screens, hidden from real danger, most of the times from the other side of the planet. Those that actually push the drones onto the runways see more danger than the video jockey does.

Yes, I was thinking about that. The people in the sandbox maintaining them and physically preparing them for a mission come much closer to combat recognition status.

__________________
2 Thessalonians 3:10, Galatians 4:16, Psalm 33:12, Psalm 53:1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page