Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Home appliance genius
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cleveland
Posts: 1,160
Are people really that financially busted?

I was reading some other thread where the guy was like "I did not have $5 so I ran out of gas". Credit cards maxed out? No cash? Heck, no change under the drivers seat?

Not to single anyone out, but I see more and more people really running it down to the wire (money-wise). I pulled up to fill up my car last week to see the last person pumped in $3 and some change.

The last time I left my house with no money in my pocket, I was too young to drive.

I grew up pretty poor, and am by no means rich by any standard, but I never had a problem putting gas in my car, or paying my bills for that matter.

Have you guys noticed what I have noticed? Is it just the sign of the times, or irresponsibility ?

__________________
Eugene

10 E63 AMG
93 300te 4matic
07 BMW X3
14 Ford F-150 Fx2
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorainfurniture View Post
I was reading some other thread where the guy was like "I did not have $5 so I ran out of gas". Credit cards maxed out? No cash? Heck, no change under the drivers seat?
............but I call M/B roadside assistance when I run out of gas............even when I have no money.

The average person is a moron.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,505
Inflation is pinching. You can thank Zimbabwe Ben-Shalom for that...

Last edited by spdrun; 02-19-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Home appliance genius
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cleveland
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
Inflation is pinching. You can thank Zimbabwe Ben-Shalom for that...
Is it pinching you?
__________________
Eugene

10 E63 AMG
93 300te 4matic
07 BMW X3
14 Ford F-150 Fx2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
I used to live in San Leandro. CA. right when I got out of college. Just north of there, on e.14th Street, just over the border, (near the General Motors assembly plant, by 103rd,) was a really bad part of East Oakland.

I used to laugh when I would see the poor blacks that would wheel these huge new Cadillacs into the cut-rate gas stations and put $1.00 of gasoline into them.

This was in 1970, though.

So, I guess the poor will always be with us.
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM
engatwork's Avatar
busy
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Soperton, Ga. USA
Posts: 12,644
LOL

There was a dude broke down at the gas station near by that, when I pulled up, asked me did I have a quart of oil he could have. All I mess with is Mobil 1, 0W40 or Truck and Turbo Diesel and he did not look like the type that realizes the benefit of running synthetic on an extended oil change interval. I told him they sold oil in the store we were at and he said he did not have any money to purchase any. I'm thinking he was probably slightly below average but you do have to keep in mind that you have to set the bar a little lower around these parts.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
............but I call M/B roadside assistance when I run out of gas............even when I have no money.

The average person is a moron.

You will never be mistaken for a Mensa member yourself.
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorainfurniture View Post
Is it pinching you?
Not significantly, since I own my apartment and bought below market a few years back. Plus the local suburban (NJ) property market is still very depressed even in ok areas, and I have the ability to buy. Plan to be basically free of housing expenses and then some inside of a year ... that's what tenants are for

I also live frugally. Paid a few grand for my car, don't take on any debts I can't pay off.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I used to laugh when I would see the poor blacks that would wheel these huge new Cadillacs into the cut-rate gas stations and put $1.00 of gasoline into them.
I normally put in $5 or $10 in NY if I'm low on diesel and headed into NJ. Diesel seems to be about a buck cheaper per gallon on the other side of the river and it burns me to pay $15 extra for a tank of the same juice.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Home appliance genius
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cleveland
Posts: 1,160
I'm trying to understand how someone gets into such a pickle.
__________________
Eugene

10 E63 AMG
93 300te 4matic
07 BMW X3
14 Ford F-150 Fx2
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Dubyagee's Avatar
All fields are required
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SE
Posts: 6,018
Hard times usually show up unannounced. Forbid that understanding arrives in a humbling way.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Home appliance genius
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cleveland
Posts: 1,160
I understand how hard times show up. I remember clearly in late 2007 when signed my life away for my new box truck to the tune of $1300 a month. Earlier that year I bought a home.

The economy contracted pretty severely and I remember life being very difficult. I had to work very long hours, and also had to work more days. I made some descisions about some excess vehicles, because I realized they would not be any financial benefit.

Even then during those very difficult times, I still had enough money to keep gas in my car.
__________________
Eugene

10 E63 AMG
93 300te 4matic
07 BMW X3
14 Ford F-150 Fx2
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,384
That thread was everyone else's fault, don't be ridiculous
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM
TylerH860's Avatar
KHAAAAAAN-gress
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 5,187
Several times a week I see these people wanting to buy a car. Most of the time they work and make decent money, but any credit they were given was just a rope to hang themselves.

They are always quick to want to buy a car. We pull their credit and the fun begins.

0 money down. Of course, give them a dollar they'll find a way to spend 2 and finance the rest.

Maxed out credit cards. "I just made a payment. I don't know why its not showing yet"

Uh huh...

Payday loan with 6 million percent interest rates in collection? "I paid that off months ago!" '

Yes, the original amount you paid back months ago but you were too stupid to realize how much interest that money cost you.

Previous reposession? "Oh no I gave that car back, it had problems."

Yeah, because that's how used car dealers work. Good job making those first 4 months payments.


Medical collections? Of course, you go to the ER when you fart too much. Student loans? Of course... didn't finish up that lucrative psychology degree, eh?

Let's see, where's my broom...

The only time these people have more than 2 cents to rub together is when they get their tax return. They all go car shopping at the same time and get furious when they can't find anything decent at 2-4 grand. They also balk when they have to pay sales tax. I raised all of my prices on my cheap cars because they expect me to pay their sales tax for them.
__________________
1985 500SL Euro w/ AMG bits 130k
1984 300SD Turbodiesel 192k
1980 240D Stick China 188k
2001 CLK55 AMG 101k
2007 S600 Biturbo 149k Overheated Project, IT'S ALIVE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
Several times a week I see these people wanting to buy a car. Most of the time they work and make decent money, but any credit they were given was just a rope to hang themselves.

They are always quick to want to buy a car. We pull their credit and the fun begins.

0 money down. Of course, give them a dollar they'll find a way to spend 2 and finance the rest.

Maxed out credit cards. "I just made a payment. I don't know why its not showing yet"

Uh huh...

Payday loan with 6 million percent interest rates in collection? "I paid that off months ago!" '

Yes, the original amount you paid back months ago but you were too stupid to realize how much interest that money cost you.

Previous reposession? "Oh no I gave that car back, it had problems."

Yeah, because that's how used car dealers work. Good job making those first 4 months payments.


Medical collections? Of course, you go to the ER when you fart too much. Student loans? Of course... didn't finish up that lucrative psychology degree, eh?

Let's see, where's my broom...

The only time these people have more than 2 cents to rub together is when they get their tax return. They all go car shopping at the same time and get furious when they can't find anything decent at 2-4 grand. They also balk when they have to pay sales tax. I raised all of my prices on my cheap cars because they expect me to pay their sales tax for them.
Precisely why cash talks so loudly. Show me the money and it's fair game

__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page