Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:21 AM
layback40's Avatar
Not Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria Australia - down under!!
Posts: 4,023
Wink The greatest country in the world

Just a clip a friend sent me that the LWNJ's may wish to comment on !!

http://www.safeshare.tv/w/UAGOcLSuLX

__________________
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club group

I no longer question authority, I annoy authority. More effect, less effort....

1967 230-6 auto parts car. rust bucket.
1980 300D now parts car 800k miles
1984 300D 500k miles
1987 250td 160k miles English import
2001 jeep turbo diesel 130k miles
1998 jeep tdi ~ followed me home. Needs a turbo.
1968 Ford F750 truck. 6-354 diesel conversion.
Other toys ~J.D.,Cat & GM ~ mainly earth moving
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,461
Adults who believe in angels?
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 AM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,547
No LWNJ's here.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 AM
dynalow's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Just a clip a friend sent me that the LWNJ's may wish to comment on !!

The most honest three and a half minutes of television, EVER... - Safeshare.TV
Slick commercial. Who produced it?

Well, we certainly were in the 20th century. Since we are only beginning the 21st, it's a little too early to pass judgement, don't you think?

In my very humble opinion, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalow View Post
Slick commercial. Who produced it?

Well, we certainly were in the 20th century. Since we are only beginning the 21st, it's a little too early to pass judgement, don't you think?

In my very humble opinion, of course.
Who produced it? Why? So you can attack and ridicule the messenger?

How about thinking about the facts and opinions he stated?
One could balance some of it against the evil of the peculiar institution, and the extension of racism into our time. Blacks were not treated equally.
Its hard to argue against the vision he stated--we DID do things. We DID strive for excellence. Now, like the NFL, we want "parity"--which is simply another word for "mediocrity". We used to move the smartest pupils to the head of the class, and challenge them to be even better. Now we hold them back so we don't embarrass the slowest ones in the class. ( Do you really think the "slow" kids don't know who they are? Do you really think the non-athletes don't know they can't compete with the "jocks") We aren't fooling the kids' only ourselves.
We need to return to striving for excellence--with the strong knowledge that appearances are not what they seem, and some seemingly handicapped, in some way, individuals can excel in other ways.
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 AM
dynalow's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Who produced it? Why? So you can attack and ridicule the messenger?

How about thinking about the facts and opinions he stated?
One could balance some of it against the evil of the peculiar institution, and the extension of racism into our time. Blacks were not treated equally.
Its hard to argue against the vision he stated--we DID do things. We DID strive for excellence. Now, like the NFL, we want "parity"--which is simply another word for "mediocrity". We used to move the smartest pupils to the head of the class, and challenge them to be even better. Now we hold them back so we don't embarrass the slowest ones in the class. ( Do you really think the "slow" kids don't know who they are? Do you really think the non-athletes don't know they can't compete with the "jocks") We aren't fooling the kids' only ourselves.
We need to return to striving for excellence--with the strong knowledge that appearances are not what they seem, and some seemingly handicapped, in some way, individuals can excel in other ways.
Man, take a walk outside, take a few deep breaths, and calm down.
Your mind reading skills are out of sync this morning. Way out.
I'm totally befuddled by your highlighted comment.

Greatness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, no?. If you don't think America is the greatest country in the world, who then gets your vote?
Me? I guess I'm stuck on stupid. I think it's a great place to be. We just sailed though the greatest and easiest living period in the history of the planet. 50 years of economic prosperity, security, civility, and innovation. We had it made growing up. Our children and grandchildren won't have it as good. (Too bad we spoiled them!) That doesn't mean America won't remain (or regain) the "Greatest" country.It's all relative.

Who did make that video?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalow View Post
Man, take a walk outside, take a few deep breaths, and calm down.
Your mind reading skills are out of sync this morning. Way out.
I'm totally befuddled by your highlighted comment.

Greatness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, no?. If you don't think America is the greatest country in the world, who then gets your vote?
Me? I guess I'm stuck on stupid. I think it's a great place to be. We just sailed though the greatest and easiest living period in the history of the planet. 50 years of economic prosperity, security, civility, and innovation. We had it made growing up. Our children and grandchildren won't have it as good. (Too bad we spoiled them!) That doesn't mean America won't remain (or regain) the "Greatest" country.It's all relative.

Who did make that video?
I, too, am befuddled by the highlighted comments, as I didn't do it---or didn't do intentionally. I know how to [B]bold[B]comments, and I didn't do that one.

My frustration is that we are not as great as we have been, nor as great as we could be.
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalow View Post
Slick commercial. Who produced it?

Well, we certainly were in the 20th century. Since we are only beginning the 21st, it's a little too early to pass judgement, don't you think?

In my very humble opinion, of course.
It's the opening scene of an HBO series "The Newsroom."

Given that it's entertainment one should fact check all the statements made by the character rather than assuming they are accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 AM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
I, too, am befuddled by the highlighted comments, as I didn't do it---or didn't do intentionally. I know how to [B]bold[B]comments, and I didn't do that one.

My frustration is that we are not as great as we have been, nor as great as we could be.
I disagree with your second statement. It is too subjective to be able to state with any degree of assurance it is true.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
dynalow's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
I, too, am befuddled by the highlighted comments, as I didn't do it---or didn't do intentionally. I know how to [B]bold[B]comments, and I didn't do that one.

My frustration is that we are not as great as we have been, nor as great as we could be.
I highlighted it of course, to show the comments that left me scratching my head. How do you arrive at those assumptions from my post. No offense taken to be sure. Just curious how my remarks triggered the "Do you really think..." response?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
dynalow's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyuhn View Post
It's the opening scene of an HBO series "The Newsroom."

Given that it's entertainment one should fact check all the statements made by the character rather than assuming they are accurate.
I see. I knew there's a reason I don't have HBO on my FIOS channel listing.
So, is the series slanted left or right or straight down the middle?
Or is it clipped on You tube (in the unlikely event I get curious)?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Fulcrum525's Avatar
Sing Blue Silver
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 2,091
Been posted before but there is actually a slightly longer version which I prefer

The Newsroom - YouTube
__________________
1982 300GD Carmine Red (DB3535) Cabriolet FOR SALE
1990 300SEL Smoke Silver (Parting out)
1991 350SDL Blackberry Metallic (481)

"The thing is Bob, its not that I'm lazy...its that I just don't care."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalow View Post
I see. I knew there's a reason I don't have HBO on my FIOS channel listing.
So, is the series slanted left or right or straight down the middle?
Or is it clipped on You tube (in the unlikely event I get curious)?
I just googled it up. I don't watch much television and don't have either cable or satellite. Never heard of the series before.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyuhn View Post
It's the opening scene of an HBO series "The Newsroom."

Given that it's entertainment one should fact check all the statements made by the character rather than assuming they are accurate.
no, no, no, no..... knee jerk to the boob-tube and bash everyone to the left of you.
That's the proper response...


We may not lead all hand picked 'good' categories and may lead almost all the handpicked 'bad' categories, but overall, I think I'll take our problems over any other country's...

MS, if you really feel that strongly, I feel obliged to ask what you are doing to rectify the problems?
If your political leanings can be inferred by your posts, then I would say that you are not even using your vote to help effect change.
Take your hand off the party lever....
__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 PM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,238
All I want is a choice that is NOT liberal/ socialist.

__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page