Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,895
LED lighting for the home

Who has made the leap to LED?

I have purchased a few locally, and have decided that I like them.
The light is pleasant enough, there is no lag time when they turn on, and they dim pretty well.

Just bought some lots of each style I need in the house, going to completely switch over.
I will be watching the meter closely, and waiting to calculate savings over time.
Anticipate a maximum of 2 months before the new lamps have paid for themselves.

On a side note... it can be a real eye opener when you actually count up the number of light bulbs in your house....
Over 30 spot lights
Equal number of bubble bulbs
About 25 of the e14 candle style...

Of course, I haven't even taken in to account the 2 dozen or so bulbs outside of the house....
Probably should have doubled down on the e27 bubbles....

__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Not interested in the jump just yet...I still have plenty of the swirly florescent bulbs from a sale that Costco had 2 years ago. I'm set for the next 10 years on bulbs.
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
Not interested in the jump just yet...I still have plenty of the swirly florescent bulbs from a sale that Costco had 2 years ago. I'm set for the next 10 years on bulbs.
That was my last big lamp buy.... about 5 years ago.
About 75 CFL's... used many, gave some away, and left a pretty good pile for the renters in my old house.
In general I was relatively happy with the CFL, but didn't really care for the delay after turning on the switch, especially in cold areas, it can take those little buggers a few minutes to actually produce light.
I prefer warmer color tones, generally around the color of a Halogen (~3200 Kelvin) although supposedly that color temp is available now in CFL, they still don't typically list temperature on the label, only lumens.
Also they are just not as efficient as the LED, which means more $$ per lumen and more heat in the house.
There are also a number of folks who feel that the increased EMI from the CFL is potentially harmful.

Glad to see you posting again JP!!!
__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Pooka
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 664
I bought a few as a test. They come on at the flick of a switch, burn in a nice color and don't seem to get hot.

Plus they are supposed to last for many, many years.

I am slowly redoing the entire house with them. When I am at the hardware place I just pick up four of them and replace a bulb here and there.

I am saving all my old bulbs. When I move I intend to take all the LED's with me and just put the old style bulbs back in.

However, at my age, the LED's may outlive me. No matter; I always do things with the long view in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
We skipped CFLs, having experienced the overstated life and negative characteristics. We are changing over to LED as the incandescent lights go out. We have a hallway lit by two and our front house lighting halogens were replaced by LED. Just bought one for an outdoor security flood fixture, so we'll see what it looks like tonight. Considering the current prices, burglars would be adding to their stash by taking the bulbs too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,895
I ordered bulk, straight from China.
Paid about ~$2.50 per bulb.
__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,197
Diffusion of the light can be an issue in some ways and applications. Each led projects a narrow beam. Buying some from China can be cost effective from ebay.

I am interested in the conversion of some fixtures existing and otherwise using flexiable 12 volt led strips. Price is around a dollar a foot when I purchased my last batch. Warm color temperature strips as well as the ones that look daylight temperature to me are available.

This gettting reasonable diffusion without too much loss of lumens in the process is where I am currently at. Currently manufacturers tend to direct the focus of many bulbs in the different directions in an attempt to obtain it. There is no doubt they are cheap to operate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Admiral-Third World Fleet
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central FL
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
I ordered bulk, straight from China.
Paid about ~$2.50 per bulb.
I bought one of these on ebay a month ago. For $2.50 I got about 4 watts, which was enough to light a hall to keep you from running into the walls, but really not useful.

I am pretty much sticking with CFLs- I have been happy with them for 5 years.

We do have some unusual light shelves in all our rooms that I am lighting with half price LED Xmas lights. In the living room it has taken 800 lights worth $60 and using 70 watts to light the area. I like them, but I think they have a way to go to be cost effective over CFL, at least the way we use them.
__________________
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,538
I have made the switch to LED's, and never looked back.

They are superior to CFL's in every way, and even produce better quality light than halogens.

I swapped out all my recessed cans with retro-fit LED cans.

I had a few cans on my cathedral ceilings, and switched out the bulbs in these to the BR30 LED's.

The only disadvantage to LED's is the cost.
__________________
Paul S.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
I bought one of these on ebay a month ago. For $2.50 I got about 4 watts, which was enough to light a hall to keep you from running into the walls, but really not useful.

I am pretty much sticking with CFLs- I have been happy with them for 5 years.

We do have some unusual light shelves in all our rooms that I am lighting with half price LED Xmas lights. In the living room it has taken 800 lights worth $60 and using 70 watts to light the area. I like them, but I think they have a way to go to be cost effective over CFL, at least the way we use them.
I went with 9 watt. Supposed to be equivalent to around 50~75 watt incandescent.

The couple I have purchased locally are plenty bright.
I'll have to wait and see about the Ali Baba bulbs.
Figure that they are probably all made in China anyway, may as well buy from a supplier over there.
At about 1/10th the price of local, it is a gamble I figured was worth taking.
__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
I was very surprised at the efficiency of LED's in my anchor light:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/open-discussion/333274-led-anchor-light.html
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 40,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
I bought a few as a test. They come on at the flick of a switch, burn in a nice color and don't seem to get hot.

Plus they are supposed to last for many, many years.

I am slowly redoing the entire house with them. When I am at the hardware place I just pick up four of them and replace a bulb here and there.

I am saving all my old bulbs. When I move I intend to take all the LED's with me and just put the old style bulbs back in.

However, at my age, the LED's may outlive me. No matter; I always do things with the long view in mind.
That's a good idea, Pooka. (As I look into next year move).
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 AM
elchivito's Avatar
ĦAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,075
I haven't switched but have been thinking about it. I really dislike the florescents. Their light stinks, you can't dim them or if you try they buzz. Mercury issues and their lifespan is the biggest marketing lie ever perpetrated on consumers.
I recently bought a "1000" lumen little LED tactical flashlight to fool around with. I have three Streamlight Ultra Stingers that sit on chargers all the time. Two in the house and one in the barn. Great lights, but they cost a hundred bucks apiece and the bulbs are 6 bucks and have to be ordered, last about 6 months under normal use. The Stingers are supposedly 75K candlepower, that little 40 dollar LED, which I'm sure isn't really 1K lumens, throws a much brighter beam much farther and lasts about as long.

Are there LEDs that can replace the halogens in track lighting? On recessed can floods, is it necessary to re-do the fixture itself in order to use them?
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
I haven't switched but have been thinking about it. I really dislike the florescents. Their light stinks, you can't dim them or if you try they buzz. Mercury issues and their lifespan is the biggest marketing lie ever perpetrated on consumers.
I recently bought a "1000" lumen little LED tactical flashlight to fool around with. I have three Streamlight Ultra Stingers that sit on chargers all the time. Two in the house and one in the barn. Great lights, but they cost a hundred bucks apiece and the bulbs are 6 bucks and have to be ordered, last about 6 months under normal use. The Stingers are supposedly 75K candlepower, that little 40 dollar LED, which I'm sure isn't really 1K lumens, throws a much brighter beam much farther and lasts about as long.

Are there LEDs that can replace the halogens in track lighting? On recessed can floods, is it necessary to re-do the fixture itself in order to use them?

All fairly common bulb and bases will likely be produced at some point. The issue with the one you mention is the lack of room to get a dropping transformer or device incorporated while still retaining the size. Most suppliers will stay away from situations where the customer has to install a separate power supply I suspect. That does not close the door entirely though. Some fixtures you may be able to modify yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Our LED in the hallway are in cans, no mod required. On testing, they take a half second longer than incandescent to light, but unlike CFL, the start at full output.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page