Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Can't Know's Avatar
Registered Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 733
People in laundromats

If you really want to see a cross-section of your community, don't bother with Wal-Mart, go to the laundromats. Particularly if you live in a really cross-cultural area.

I live in a small apartment complex so I can walk to work (most of the time). While there is a laundry room on the premises, it's under-equipped (four washers/dryers, all medium capacity, for 28 units...you do the math) and not terribly convenient, so I generally load up the car and hit the laundromat.

It's often a free-for-all in there. Mom brings the kids along and they run wild (I recall going to the laundromat with my mom when I was young, but boy, I had to help her and if I didn't have to, I was expected to behave), people commandeer two or three laundry carts even though all of their clothes are in machines, arguments break out over people encroaching on someone else's "space", etc.

Last night really stood out, though. A middle-eastern woman (can't be more specific than that, I didn't recognize the language though she also spoke English) brought her two young sons with her. She allowed them to bring in their little scooters, and they proceeded to race around the place, bumping into people, laundry carts, etc. Her only comment to them was, "Don't go outside." Most of the rest of the people, myself included, kept to themselves, glancing at her with an eye roll or two, but eventually I think someone said something to the management as the kids suddenly stopped riding around. Or maybe one of them ran over her toe...

I don't know ME culture, but I'm dumbfounded that such activities wouldn't be frowned on anywhere on the planet. Boys will be boys (and both of these were adorable, just being boys), and it's the responsibility of parents to guide and direct them. Why that mom didn't seem to give a rip I don't know, but I'm going to guess they don't get to act that way at home.

Anyway, for true down-to-earth entertainment, save a washload or two and visit your local laundromat. You never know what you'll find...but I can tell you you'll never see a supermodel there.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Laugh Break
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 34,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't Know View Post
If you really want to see a cross-section of your community, don't bother with Wal-Mart, go to the laundromats. Particularly if you live in a really cross-cultural area.

I live in a small apartment complex so I can walk to work (most of the time). While there is a laundry room on the premises, it's under-equipped (four washers/dryers, all medium capacity, for 28 units...you do the math) and not terribly convenient, so I generally load up the car and hit the laundromat.

It's often a free-for-all in there. Mom brings the kids along and they run wild (I recall going to the laundromat with my mom when I was young, but boy, I had to help her and if I didn't have to, I was expected to behave), people commandeer two or three laundry carts even though all of their clothes are in machines, arguments break out over people encroaching on someone else's "space", etc.

Last night really stood out, though. A middle-eastern woman (can't be more specific than that, I didn't recognize the language though she also spoke English) brought her two young sons with her. She allowed them to bring in their little scooters, and they proceeded to race around the place, bumping into people, laundry carts, etc. Her only comment to them was, "Don't go outside." Most of the rest of the people, myself included, kept to themselves, glancing at her with an eye roll or two, but eventually I think someone said something to the management as the kids suddenly stopped riding around. Or maybe one of them ran over her toe...

I don't know ME culture, but I'm dumbfounded that such activities wouldn't be frowned on anywhere on the planet. Boys will be boys (and both of these were adorable, just being boys), and it's the responsibility of parents to guide and direct them. Why that mom didn't seem to give a rip I don't know, but I'm going to guess they don't get to act that way at home.

Anyway, for true down-to-earth entertainment, save a washload or two and visit your local laundromat. You never know what you'll find...but I can tell you you'll never see a supermodel there.
I have observed some ME people with male children in action. I concluded that perhaps they did not believe women should discipline male children. I could be all wrong about that but I just surmised that might be the case.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't Know View Post
If you really want to see a cross-section of your community, don't bother with Wal-Mart, go to the laundromats. Particularly if you live in a really cross-cultural area.

I live in a small apartment complex so I can walk to work (most of the time). While there is a laundry room on the premises, it's under-equipped (four washers/dryers, all medium capacity, for 28 units...you do the math) and not terribly convenient, so I generally load up the car and hit the laundromat.

It's often a free-for-all in there. Mom brings the kids along and they run wild (I recall going to the laundromat with my mom when I was young, but boy, I had to help her and if I didn't have to, I was expected to behave), people commandeer two or three laundry carts even though all of their clothes are in machines, arguments break out over people encroaching on someone else's "space", etc.

Last night really stood out, though. A middle-eastern woman (can't be more specific than that, I didn't recognize the language though she also spoke English) brought her two young sons with her. She allowed them to bring in their little scooters, and they proceeded to race around the place, bumping into people, laundry carts, etc. Her only comment to them was, "Don't go outside." Most of the rest of the people, myself included, kept to themselves, glancing at her with an eye roll or two, but eventually I think someone said something to the management as the kids suddenly stopped riding around. Or maybe one of them ran over her toe...

I don't know ME culture, but I'm dumbfounded that such activities wouldn't be frowned on anywhere on the planet. Boys will be boys (and both of these were adorable, just being boys), and it's the responsibility of parents to guide and direct them. Why that mom didn't seem to give a rip I don't know, but I'm going to guess they don't get to act that way at home.

Anyway, for true down-to-earth entertainment, save a washload or two and visit your local laundromat. You never know what you'll find...but I can tell you you'll never see a supermodel there.
Man, first the assault on christmas, then they train the national guard to fight the 2nd amendment lover boys and now those bastards are taking over our beloved laundromats. Is nothing sacred anymore in this country?

BTW you should visit a laundromat in my hood, full of hotties...you would think it's a Victoria Secret Xmas show.
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
Man, first the assault on christmas, then they train the national guard to fight the 2nd amendment lover boys and now those bastards are taking over our beloved laundromats. Is nothing sacred anymore in this country?

BTW you should visit a laundromat in my hood, full of hotties...you would think it's a Victoria Secret Xmas show.
Oh yeah. y9ou are probably right, that's Hollywood, Santa Monica, BH and the Westside you are talking about.

Nothing but snow and rain up here these days. I've heard the weather is warm and sunny down South about now.

I'd been thinking about hopping over to Palm Springs for a little while for a taste of sunshine.

But, THAT sounds a lot better. ( ) Plus it's way past time to put my SEC car cover in one of those big HD-type washing machines, and get it taken care of. It's awful dusty.

Could be a fun road trip. I like LA weather, and haven't been back since early December I think,
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Oh yeah. y9ou are probably right, that's Hollywood, Santa Monica, BH and the Westside you are talking about.
No boring West Side for this hipster, East Side all the way.
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
INSIDIOUS's Avatar
Electron spewer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Honah Lee
Posts: 10,827
As interesting as your experience was, I'll guess the laundromats are not on average attendance "a cross-section of your community" or any. Most people seeing poverty in the rear view mirror with some distance seldom attend. In fact making the investment in laundry machines if possible is a long term financial benefit - like not borrowing money and the like. Some better off people use them for the nasty jobs, only. Some because of circumstance like: travel, school, or what ever. I'd bet serious money there is a strong inverse correlation between wealth and attendance. Most people who don't have to attend, do not. Unless you are in Jorn's neighborhood. What was that zipcode again?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
I have an upper class Pakistani/American female acquaintance who complains that at her local mosque the women's section has been taken over by immigrants who have no idea how to discipline their children. She wont go there anymore.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 PM
E150GT's Avatar
I'm a chicken
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
Posts: 1,148
Back in 2010 I was renting an apartment and I hadn't yet purchased a washer and dryer so I frequented the laudromat. I was in an area of somewhat older money with nice houses and good schools but also a lot of apartments in the area so the mix of people was good. I never had a bad experience there but I was definitely persuaded to purchase a washer and dryer quicker than I initially planned.
__________________
1984 300SD Orient Red/ Palomino
1989 560SEC
2016 Mazda 6 6 speed manual
1995 Ford F-150 reg cab 4.9 5speed manual
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
Renaissance Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 16,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
BTW you should visit a laundromat in my hood, full of hotties...you would think it's a Victoria Secret Xmas show.
Years ago when I live near the U Cal a laundromat I frequented often featured hotties with time on their hands.
__________________
cmac

1986 300SDL, 351K
1984 300D, 133K
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
We use laundromats when we travel in our camper. It's a great place to meet the locals and get some insight into the local culture. I remember in particular a very nice older couple we met in the laundromat in Pictou, Nova Scotia.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 PM
elchivito's Avatar
ĦAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,075
When I first moved to a remote corner of the Navajo Nation, I used to have to drive an hour to the nearest laundromat. I'd be the only male and only non-Navajo in the place. It was a hoot watching old ladies dripping in silver and turquoise washing hand made navajo blankets (that collectors would pay thousands for) and home tanned sheepskins in those big industrial sized washers. I bought a set of machines after my first year and hauled them up there. It got old....
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 34,867
When I was young and divorced I met a young woman here in Lafayette at the Laundromat. She was tall and pretty good looking with an excellent figure. We talked and I learned that she was a nude model for the art classes over at Purdue. I cannot remember why I never went out with her because the door seemed open to that....perhaps it was a little too open for my (relatively) conservative values.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
You could have at least signed up for the art class.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Can't Know's Avatar
Registered Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
That was pretty funny, but sad, because it really points out how stupid we were a couple of generations back...and you still see some of that attitude nowadays. The area I live is seriously diverse, the laundromat is owned by a family from Turkey and most of the patrons are Asian (predominantly Filipino) with a mix of ME, black and hispanic. I'm often the only white person there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I have observed some ME people with male children in action. I concluded that perhaps they did not believe women should discipline male children. I could be all wrong about that but I just surmised that might be the case.
That's as good an explanation as I can muster, and I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Of course that's because it's nonsensical, but much of tribal culture seems that way to westerners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS View Post
As interesting as your experience was, I'll guess the laundromats are not on average attendance "a cross-section of your community" or any. Most people seeing poverty in the rear view mirror with some distance seldom attend. In fact making the investment in laundry machines if possible is a long term financial benefit - like not borrowing money and the like. Some better off people use them for the nasty jobs, only. Some because of circumstance like: travel, school, or what ever. I'd bet serious money there is a strong inverse correlation between wealth and attendance. Most people who don't have to attend, do not. Unless you are in Jorn's neighborhood. What was that zipcode again?
I didn't mean to imply that it was a statistically perfect cross-section, and indeed, no place you go to really could be. Merely that you're more likely to see the diversity in cultures, though not necessarily from a socioeconomic standpoint. Although I'm well above the lower end of the economic strata (not many Mercedes in the lot at the laundry), and I could easily afford the appliances, I can't put a washer/dryer in my apartment. I choose to live there because it's close to work. Commutes in this area absolutely suck, and home prices are insane, so I just stay put. You can rest assured that when I retire or quit I'll be gone pretty quickly.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page