Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM
A Talent for Obfuscation
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the Deep State
Posts: 12,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I guess the crosstrek is the bigger suv..? I'd only go that direction if I needed something large to tow. For commuting and an occasional off road diversion the forester would be tough to beat for durability, economy and resale.
No, the Crosstrek is smaller than the Forester.

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 AM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
No, the Crosstrek is smaller than the Forester.
Oops!

Thanks!
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 AM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Я не хакер
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 3,859
I have wondered about the Jeeps that came along after the Cherokee. I still miss my Cherokee sometimes, the utility but not the economy.

Once again we are screwed by global mindfark finance. A cheap, efficient utility vehicle would sell like crazy but it doesn't fit the global plan for us. You must buy a lazyboy mallville vehicle to play bumper cars in parking lots and at red lights.

You could probably get some good information about the newer jeeps over at the pirate website but reading the rest of the crap that came with it might not be worth the effort.
__________________
Don't believe everything you think. Especially don't believe everything that you feel. Radical Subjectivism is rampant on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 AM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Я не хакер
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
I may decide to just throw a grand or two into the element. It needs struts and a few other things at 170K.
This would defer temporarily what you know you need to do. 200K and a commute like that is approaching a tightrope walk.

How much is a hardtop Wrangler these days?
__________________
Don't believe everything you think. Especially don't believe everything that you feel. Radical Subjectivism is rampant on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty View Post
Once again we are screwed by global mindfark finance. A cheap, efficient utility vehicle would sell like crazy but it doesn't fit the global plan for us. You must buy a lazyboy mallville vehicle to play bumper cars in parking lots and at red lights.
It's not a question of the global market. It's a question of the Dumberican market. Simpler vehicles are available in other places, like if you cross our southern border to Mexico.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 AM
elchivito's Avatar
ĦAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty View Post
This would defer temporarily what you know you need to do. 200K and a commute like that is approaching a tightrope walk.

How much is a hardtop Wrangler these days?
Mid 20's. to start. Unacceptable mileage. She hauls a lot of stuff, not really an option.

The Forester we drove had an MSRP of 24,009, the Crosstrek was about 1800 more. I didn't get to the dealing point so don't know about any discounts. He did tell me that the Costco program would give about 1300 off on the Crosstrek. Called it "invoice", which I suspect is BS, or maybe not.

The Forester's 6 speed stick was pretty sweet, and I don't particularly like sticks. I suspect the phone will be ringing when I get home today.
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:38 AM
elchivito's Avatar
ĦAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,075
Wasn't there a website somewhere to figure the various car models' dealer cost factor for estimating actual invoice?
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Anyone know anything more informative than the usual "(insert hated make) are crap" ?

Suspect it's being replaced or updated as they're deeply discounting the '14s already.
Seems like a lot of conclusions are being based on very little data.
Also, remember, being critical ( rather than supportive) makes one seem wiser- at least in one's own eyes.
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
Seems like I am the only person here that has actually OWNED a Patriot. As I said earlier, it is a sturdy, simple vehicle. I paid like 16k new for it in '11, and it has never been in the shop. Great traction in all the crappy weather we have here in OK, has traction control and ABS, I think, whatever comes standard on these. I bought it to keep until it falls apart. Gets high 20s on the highway and not much lower in town. Can fold the rear seats down and carry stuff in it. Sure, it is not as "hip" as a Subbie, or as socially concious as a CRV (lol) but it is an honest, hard working vehicle. Not a bunch of wizard crap on mine: no CVT, no electric windows, etc. Just a little front drive car/micro-wagon. I dig it.....El Chivito, check 'em out....
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 AM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,040
Have you considered the new Cherokee? If you've looked at the Forester, it'd be a direct competitor. Aside from early trans issues, they are supposed to be very good.
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Я не хакер
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 3,859
Hassle-free car-buying experience from a nationwide network of certified dealers. - TrueCar

This was a good site a couple or a few years ago when I accessed it through motortrend. It has probably changed hands by now and I have no idea how reliable it is. It probably belongs to car sellers, financers or insurers.

My buddies who buy used cars for resale tell me that everything has changed and they don't go to auctions anymore. They buy over the Internet. If you have someone locally who is up on the ways of the west they may be able to snag you a low mileage deal.

I have always thought that unless you can get a steeply discounted new car, and it is the season for 2013s, you are better off buying used.
__________________
Don't believe everything you think. Especially don't believe everything that you feel. Radical Subjectivism is rampant on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:13 AM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Я не хакер
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjake View Post
Seems like I am the only person here that has actually OWNED a Patriot. As I said earlier, it is a sturdy, simple vehicle. I paid like 16k new for it in '11, and it has never been in the shop. Great traction in all the crappy weather we have here in OK, has traction control and ABS, I think, whatever comes standard on these. I bought it to keep until it falls apart. Gets high 20s on the highway and not much lower in town. Can fold the rear seats down and carry stuff in it. Sure, it is not as "hip" as a Subbie, or as socially concious as a CRV (lol) but it is an honest, hard working vehicle. Not a bunch of wizard crap on mine: no CVT, no electric windows, etc. Just a little front drive car/micro-wagon. I dig it.....El Chivito, check 'em out....
This guy has been known to make sense on occasion.
__________________
Don't believe everything you think. Especially don't believe everything that you feel. Radical Subjectivism is rampant on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
JB3 JB3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 6,763
my 3rd party 2 cents

the wife test drove a patriot when she was thinking about new cars, and her principle complaint was lack of visibility out the back. She said the patriot windows were narrowed down quite a bit on the inside as compared to how large they look outside the vehicle, and she didn't like the level of blind spots she felt the car had.

Those that own them, do you have similar observations on visibility? How do you like it?
__________________
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM
TwitchKitty's Avatar
Я не хакер
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Varies
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
It's not a question of the global market. It's a question of the Dumberican market. Simpler vehicles are available in other places, like if you cross our southern border to Mexico.
That is the plan for them. Cross the border and you an have it too. I heard there were record numbers of people who denounced their citizenship last year.

Right, we take what our masters offer just like everyone else. Buck the system and see what it gets you. You could be one of the lucky few but the odds are not with you. Pay your interest, insurance, taxes, pretend, and wave the flag.
__________________
Don't believe everything you think. Especially don't believe everything that you feel. Radical Subjectivism is rampant on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty View Post
That is the plan for them. Cross the border and you an have it too. I heard there were record numbers of people who denounced their citizenship last year.

Right, we take what our masters offer just like everyone else. Buck the system and see what it gets you. You could be one of the lucky few but the odds are not with you. Pay your interest, insurance, taxes, pretend, and wave the flag.
Yet you can drive a used car bought for $2000, live in a house with a rental unit that pays the mortgage, buy year-old electronics at 30% of the cost new on Craigslist. You don't HAVE to play their game if you don't want to, and you can live very well since the system is geared to debt-slaves. No housing + car + credit card expense on an American income == the good life.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page