Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 PM
elchivito's Avatar
ĦAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjake View Post
Seems like I am the only person here that has actually OWNED a Patriot. As I said earlier, it is a sturdy, simple vehicle. I paid like 16k new for it in '11, and it has never been in the shop. Great traction in all the crappy weather we have here in OK, has traction control and ABS, I think, whatever comes standard on these. I bought it to keep until it falls apart. Gets high 20s on the highway and not much lower in town. Can fold the rear seats down and carry stuff in it. Sure, it is not as "hip" as a Subbie, or as socially concious as a CRV (lol) but it is an honest, hard working vehicle. Not a bunch of wizard crap on mine: no CVT, no electric windows, etc. Just a little front drive car/micro-wagon. I dig it.....El Chivito, check 'em out....
They're not off the radar just yet. Dealer near me is giving super deep discounts on them. Sales people won't come clean on it but hint that it's being replaced or phased out. Hip doesn't interest me. Simplicity and long term durability do.

__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM
A Talent for Obfuscation
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the Deep State
Posts: 12,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
They're not off the radar just yet. Dealer near me is giving super deep discounts on them. Sales people won't come clean on it but hint that it's being replaced or phased out. Hip doesn't interest me. Simplicity and long term durability do.
It sounds like a case of pay-me-now or pay-me-later. A deeply-discounted vehicle from a brand which does not enjoy a reputation for long-term durability, or a more expensive vehicle from a brand with a well-established track record for durability and resale value.

To me, the Forester is a no-brainer, if the purchase price is acceptable.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
It sounds like a case of pay-me-now or pay-me-later. A deeply-discounted vehicle from a brand which does not enjoy a reputation for long-term durability, or a more expensive vehicle from a brand with a well-established track record for durability and resale value.

To me, the Forester is a no-brainer, if the purchase price is acceptable.
I agree with this advice.

I subscribe to four car magazines, and several months ago, one of them ran a comparison test of AWD cars in this category, i.e. Forester, RAV4, CRV, Edge, et al., and the Forester won.
__________________
Paul S.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 AM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: #KeepAmericaGreat!
Posts: 6,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by suginami View Post
I rented one last year and drove it from the airport in Providence R.I. to Uncasville, CT.

I thought it was the cheapest p.o.s. I had ever driven.

It had so many rattles and vibrations that it was a cacophony to the ears.

I rode like a bucket of bolts.

The engineers in charge of Noise, Harshness and Vibration should be put on trial.


Funny.......and here I was trying to be kind to the poor vehicle.
__________________

06 E320 CDI - PEWTER/CHARCOAL
2017 C7 Stingray Vert M7/MSRC/3LT/FE2 - Arctic White / Jet Black
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
amazing that none of you even own one or have driven in one for more than a short while and can pass such concise advice. methinks you are drinking too much of your own koolaid about how smart you think you are.....

But, I guess owning a POS Mercedes makes you an expert in all things mechanical...

BTW, Subies sound so reliable.......

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/open-discussion/351733-blown-subaru-head-gasket-replacement-cost.html
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM
JB3 JB3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 6,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjake View Post
amazing that none of you even own one or have driven in one for more than a short while and can pass such concise advice. methinks you are drinking too much of your own koolaid about how smart you think you are.....

But, I guess owning a POS Mercedes makes you an expert in all things mechanical...
why are you surprised? I loved my chrysler product as well, and my family put 250k on our dodge minivan, and more on our first 80s voyager, but even I am compelled to admit that its reliability was less than stellar on both vehicles.
The second one was miles better than the first as far as finish quality, but it broke down on the way home from the dealership, and we put 3-4 transmissions in it. It was comfortable, drove great, and was a great minivan design with long lasting interior quality. As a family, we came to just accept that a new transmission was needed every 50-75k, even with excellent maintenance. Even then, we happened to have chosen just the right motor, the one with the best reputation for reliability, as there were owners who had both engine AND transmission problems in the same model.

Because your specific vehicle is doing great does not mean that there isn't loads of evidence of same model vehicles having periodic issues with more common options.

Chrysler has an enormous amount of history producing good design, and so-so execution on that design. Jeep products are subject to this same problem for as long as chrysler has owned Jeep. Breaks of the game. Every time I look at a jeep, I remember how my good friend had replaced his engine, manual gearbox, and diff all under 50 thousand miles, and all just driving the thing around on city streets. I also remind myself of how I broke a jeep cherokee clutch pedal off at the weld because it hadn't been finished properly at the factory.

Having said all that, I still like the looks of the patriot, and think its a cool little wagon, but the wife wouldn't have it because she didn't like the window visibility. What is your opinion on that on yours?

Personally, I wouldn't buy the jeep or a subaru, especially after my issue with matching tires on a 96 outback.
__________________
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
why are you surprised? I loved my chrysler product as well, and my family put 250k on our dodge minivan, and more on our first 80s voyager, but even I am compelled to admit that its reliability was less than stellar on both vehicles.
The second one was miles better than the first as far as finish quality, but it broke down on the way home from the dealership, and we put 3-4 transmissions in it. It was comfortable, drove great, and was a great minivan design with long lasting interior quality. As a family, we came to just accept that a new transmission was needed every 50-75k, even with excellent maintenance. Even then, we happened to have chosen just the right motor, the one with the best reputation for reliability, as there were owners who had both engine AND transmission problems in the same model.

Because your specific vehicle is doing great does not mean that there isn't loads of evidence of same model vehicles having periodic issues with more common options.

Chrysler has an enormous amount of history producing good design, and so-so execution on that design. Jeep products are subject to this same problem for as long as chrysler has owned Jeep. Breaks of the game. Every time I look at a jeep, I remember how my good friend had replaced his engine, manual gearbox, and diff all under 50 thousand miles, and all just driving the thing around on city streets.

Having said all that, I still like the looks of the patriot, and think its a cool little wagon, but the wife wouldn't have it because she didn't like the window visibility. What is your opinion on that on yours?
I( have no problem with the windows and visibility.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-04-2014, 12:05 PM
link's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
It sounds like a case of pay-me-now or pay-me-later. A deeply-discounted vehicle from a brand which does not enjoy a reputation for long-term durability, or a more expensive vehicle from a brand with a well-established track record for durability and resale value.

To me, the Forester is a no-brainer, if the purchase price is acceptable.
A new or used with factory warranty smaller toy suv is also a good option. With toyota they offer a "certified used" warranty on some vehicles
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM
A Talent for Obfuscation
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the Deep State
Posts: 12,082
Of course, you might want to sit tight and await the new Jeep Renegade:

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page