Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 AM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 22,626
You go Buzz Aldrin

Apparently Bart Sibrel crossed the line woth Buzz and got a nice right cross. Yea for Buzz. The bottom of the article says the police did not press charges.

Watch a 72-year-old Buzz Aldrin punch a jerk in the face for calling him a 'liar' - The Week
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 AM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 34,434
that fellow had no idea what type of man he was dealing with. You don't get to be an astronaut by being tiddly wink champion. All those guys especially the early ones were top fighter jocks with courage running out their ears. they weren't pols who get that sort of heckling every day.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 AM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
You don't tug on Superman's cape . . . .

Last edited by MTI; 07-21-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
What if it wasn't Buzz Aldrin but some Mr Nobody. Would we still cheer for him had he punched someone who annoyed him or does Buzz get a pass because of who he is? We had an irate customer in front of me at the garage because he apparently had work done, it failed to work, he had to come back and they didn't get it right 2nd time either. Should the service manager, who was obviously irritated from getting chewed out for the mechanic's work be given a pass to punch the customer for annoying him?

Are we all equal and not supposed to punch people who irritate us and maybe get a restraining order or something or are some more equal than others and can do as they please? So what if someone heckled a President or ex-President? Does it allow the victim to shoot the harasser in the leg so as not to kill?
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:43 PM
earl orchard's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florissant MO
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
What if it wasn't Buzz Aldrin but some Mr Nobody. Would we still cheer for him had he punched someone who annoyed him or does Buzz get a pass because of who he is? We had an irate customer in front of me at the garage because he apparently had work done, it failed to work, he had to come back and they didn't get it right 2nd time either. Should the service manager, who was obviously irritated from getting chewed out for the mechanic's work be given a pass to punch the customer for annoying him?

Are we all equal and not supposed to punch people who irritate us and maybe get a restraining order or something or are some more equal than others and can do as they please? So what if someone heckled a President or ex-President? Does it allow the victim to shoot the harasser in the leg so as not to kill?
you have a good point there, but the moon landing deniers are a special breed, this guy had been messing with buzz for quit sometime and ( i did not watch this clip but i think its the same one) this Bart guy ambushed buzz in his apartment building lobby with his nonsense. so have you guys heard Buzz talk about the UFO that followed them to the moon?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl orchard View Post
you have a good point there, but the moon landing deniers are a special breed, this guy had been messing with buzz for quit sometime and ( i did not watch this clip but i think its the same one) this Bart guy ambushed buzz in his apartment building lobby with his nonsense. so have you guys heard Buzz talk about the UFO that followed them to the moon?
And there is no legal recourse where he is? Could he have gotten a restraining order and called the cops?
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
And there is no legal recourse where he is? Could he have gotten a restraining order and called the cops?
Of course there are. The cops declined to press charges.

Restraining order? Sure! oh- you might want to ask the victims of domestic abuse with restraining orders how often they get violated, how effective they are, and how often the cops show up after the violence is all over....

After watching the video, it was clear that Mr. Aldrin was afraid for his life, retreated to his hotel, and invoked the 'castle doctrine' ;-)
__________________
95 E300D working out the kinks
77 300D, 227k, station car
83 300CD 370k, gone away
89 190E 2.6- 335k, no more
79 VW FI Bus- 145k miles, summer driver
59 VW Beetle ragtop- 175k miles
12 VW Jetta- 160k miles
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-2014, 02:36 PM
A Talent for Obfuscation
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the Deep State
Posts: 10,948
Sibrel was wearing a hoodie at the time, so it's all good...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-21-2014, 02:40 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 34,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
What if it wasn't Buzz Aldrin but some Mr Nobody. Would we still cheer for him had he punched someone who annoyed him or does Buzz get a pass because of who he is? We had an irate customer in front of me at the garage because he apparently had work done, it failed to work, he had to come back and they didn't get it right 2nd time either. Should the service manager, who was obviously irritated from getting chewed out for the mechanic's work be given a pass to punch the customer for annoying him?

Are we all equal and not supposed to punch people who irritate us and maybe get a restraining order or something or are some more equal than others and can do as they please? So what if someone heckled a President or ex-President? Does it allow the victim to shoot the harasser in the leg so as not to kill?
Did Buzz get the benefit of the doubt? yes. Because he went to the moon? Yes. Because he is twice the age of the heckler? Yes. Because the heckler is a head taller than he is? yes. Because the heckler is an obnoxious dweeb? Yes.

Any other questions?
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Home appliance genius
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cleveland
Posts: 1,160
Simply, some people are more equal than others. Buzz is a bit more equal than that annoying fat ass.

That guy deserved to get punched just for the nuisance factor.
__________________
Eugene

10 E63 AMG
93 300te 4matic
07 BMW X3
14 Ford F-150 Fx2
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-21-2014, 03:38 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by my83300cd View Post
Of course there are. The cops declined to press charges.

Restraining order? Sure! oh- you might want to ask the victims of domestic abuse with restraining orders how often they get violated, how effective they are, and how often the cops show up after the violence is all over....

After watching the video, it was clear that Mr. Aldrin was afraid for his life, retreated to his hotel, and invoked the 'castle doctrine' ;-)
I mean, did Buzz try to stop him legally?

I see. So your thesis is that we don't need to bother. Don't like what is happening, get physical. Or is that only for the Buzz, Lindsay Lohan and celebrity status people?

And my neighbor was terrified of those strange people that knock on his door. Can he shoot them and claim CD status? Or is it only if the visitors are not your loved ones?

Just trying to see what the principal is here
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Did Buzz get the benefit of the doubt? yes. Because he went to the moon? Yes. Because he is twice the age of the heckler? Yes. Because the heckler is a head taller than he is? yes. Because the heckler is an obnoxious dweeb? Yes.

Any other questions?
Just to be clear, you are saying that you approve of celebrities being given a different standard?
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-21-2014, 03:45 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorainfurniture View Post
Simply, some people are more equal than others. Buzz is a bit more equal than that annoying fat ass.

That guy deserved to get punched just for the nuisance factor.
That is exactly my point when people grumble about celebrities getting off the hook for misdeeds. We actually welcome it for our pet celebrities whereas if it is a celebrity but one we dislike, we want them hung.

No doubt he is annoying just like my neighbor who cranks up his stereo at night. Doesn't mean I get to take matters into my own hand. Or how about if you stiff me on a bill? I shouldn't be allowed to take my frustration out on you, regardless of what I think the courts will do.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM
earl orchard's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florissant MO
Posts: 225
i think the real rub here is that this Bart fellow accuse's Aldrin of being a total liar in regards to his(and man's) greatest accomplishment, going to the moon, i do not think this was an isolated incident meaning Bart had been hounding Aldrin for quite awhile about this garbage that the moon landings were faked. mr.Sibril is trying to sell books on the subject after all and no i do not like/think celebs, people with money should "get off the hook" for their misdeeds. Can you imagine if you told the crew of Apollo 11 in 1969 that in the year 2003 people would think this was all just a trick ? and start harrasing you to 'tell the truth"

cheers
kenny
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Fold on dotted line
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Mich
Posts: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
That is exactly my point when people grumble about celebrities getting off the hook for misdeeds. We actually welcome it for our pet celebrities whereas if it is a celebrity but one we dislike, we want them hung.

No doubt he is annoying just like my neighbor who cranks up his stereo at night. Doesn't mean I get to take matters into my own hand. Or how about if you stiff me on a bill? I shouldn't be allowed to take my frustration out on you, regardless of what I think the courts will do.

I can disagree with someone without calling them names.

Sibrel called Aldrin names.

I can say, " Mr Aldrin, I don't believe you really walked on the moon. Prove it to me." Aldrin can say " Go away" " I decline" etc. Aldrin is not required by anyone to swear on a Bible that he walked on the moon.

So does that give me the right to insult Aldrin and to call him a coward and a liar?

I think not.

It's the difference between addressing the issue vs attacking the person. When you attack a person, whoever they are, you are assaulting them.
__________________
Strelnik
Invest in America: Buy a Congressman!

1950 170SD
1951 Citroen 11BN
1953 Citroen 11BNF limo
1953 220a project
1959 180D
1960 190D
1960 Borgward Isabella TS 2dr
1983 240D daily driver
1983 380SL
1990 350SDL daily driver alt
3 x Citroen DS21M, down from 5
3 x Citroen 2CV, down from 6
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page