Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 AM
CVGBENZLOVER
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 40
Is this really factory?

I saw this on ebay and in all my years looking at our favorite brand I never knew suede was an option - really? It looks interesting...

Mercedes Benz 500 Series Sec | eBay
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 AM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 22,578
So far as I am aware they only came in leather or velour but Jim B will be able to shed more light on this.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Delibes's Avatar
Drat, double drat!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: EU/UAE/USA
Posts: 786
Short answer: no.
__________________
BATTLESHIP YAMATO [/COLOR]- Pearl white 2002 Hyundai Equus / Centennial / Mitsubishi Proudia - 203,653km - Bargain Korean Rolls-Royce, reliable UAE daily driver.
[UNNAMED] - DB040 Black 450SEL (033) - 94,000km - Former embassy car in Abu Dhabi. CURTAINS. Soon to replace the Equus as a daily car.
SIR ROGER - Solent Silver Volvo 1800S - 65,000 miles - Bought in Maine, shipped to the UAE and keeping as a hobby car.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 AM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,725
The 560SEC came with velour interior, or leather. Velour was much more rare and I have personally seen very few.

That is a custom hack job. I can't understand spending the money to have an upholstery shop do the interior, but leave out the headliner and let it sag. It appears the carpets too have been replaced or dyed, the center console carpet is faded to that green from being in the sun. So much for being kept in a garage.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2014, 11:00 AM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 22,578
Velour was more popular on Euro cars. My dad had a 380 SE with light gray velour. Nice care.

If you look at this SEC, someone spent a pretty penny on it. The seats look factory. Straight seams, no excess material or bunching, The cushion lines are straight and neat. The head rest has no wrinkles. The stitching is very nice. This does not look like a cheap job. I wonder how it would look if the suede was rubbed down in the same direction how it would look. I have always liked the feel of suede.

I agree that they should/need to do something with the head liner. Not sure about the green carpet in the center console but I think it it were out in the sun the dash would not look as good as it does. The job does appear to be a bit older as the side bolster on the driver seat is showing quite a bit of wear.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,725
My Cabernet Red 380SE had Velour too. True Euro car too. I loved it and shouldn't have sold it after the labor I put into head work, suspension etc.

I will give him it's nice work on the seats, but it just isn't original. That's the part that pisses me off. Above premium for a modified car? Not that easy to source another good interior. I'm highly critical and a purist, so to some this isn't probably a big deal.

It is also possible that the car was garage kept, but the center console carpet was stained from a beverage and it was replaced with a junkyard carpet or the like. The folks who aren't the brightest have used the center console to drive with their coffee in and stained it plenty of times before.

Either way, I'd look it over with a fine tooth comb and pick every flaw I could find. $19K is too much for any SEC at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 22,578
Im a semi-purist (sort a lie being 'kind of pregnant') I dont want a chevy in engine in my MB but if the alterations suit my taste I'm good with it. We had to replace the head liner on the E300. Went with imitation alcantara. Personally I thin it looks better than factory. Looks very elegant now. Just my personal taste though and I know everyone is different.

I did not even see the price. For $19k I want the car to be damn near perfect. Head liner is crap. The driver seat bolster seemed to have more than 60K in miles on it but that could have been the angle on it. Paint looked good from what I could see in the photos.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM
dynalow's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
Velour was more popular on Euro cars. My dad had a 380 SE with light gray velour. Nice care.

If you look at this SEC, someone spent a pretty penny on it. The seats look factory. Straight seams, no excess material or bunching, The cushion lines are straight and neat. The head rest has no wrinkles. The stitching is very nice. This does not look like a cheap job. I wonder how it would look if the suede was rubbed down in the same direction how it would look. I have always liked the feel of suede.

I agree that they should/need to do something with the head liner. Not sure about the green carpet in the center console but I think it it were out in the sun the dash would not look as good as it does. The job does appear to be a bit older as the side bolster on the driver seat is showing quite a bit of wear.
....Or perhaps the odometer is not accurate. Look carefully at the color of the speedo needle. Yellow. Look at the others. Orange. Unless he has service records to verify the mileage, I'm skeptical.

My odometer failed about six years ago. I took it to an indy for a change. My speedo needle now looks exactly like the one in the ad.- Yellow. My left guage was swapped out too, although nothing was broken. My tach and clock needles are like the one in the ad- orange. (& presumably original.)
Fortunately, I had a recent service two weeks before the failure and the dates between service and replacement are only 3-4 weeks or so. I figure it's about 200 miles of missing miles between failure & replacement.

So, with that and the driver's seat back wear as you mention, yes, I'm skeptical.
(I don't recall if the ad mentions complete service records or not.)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,306
W/C126's came with leather, MB Tex or velour. I had all three, velour is awesome and was a no cost option almost no one in the US got.

The interior on that car is either aftermarket or if you can run the cars vin might have been custom ordered. MB did special order stuff for very good customers, some research would be required. If you pull the rear seats you should see tags if they are from MB.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
2007 Tiara 3200

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake12tech View Post
My Cabernet Red 380SE had Velour too. True Euro car too. I loved it and shouldn't have sold it after the labor I put into head work, suspension etc.

I will give him it's nice work on the seats, but it just isn't original. That's the part that pisses me off. Above premium for a modified car? Not that easy to source another good interior. I'm highly critical and a purist, so to some this isn't probably a big deal.

It is also possible that the car was garage kept, but the center console carpet was stained from a beverage and it was replaced with a junkyard carpet or the like. The folks who aren't the brightest have used the center console to drive with their coffee in and stained it plenty of times before.

Either way, I'd look it over with a fine tooth comb and pick every flaw I could find. $19K is too much for any SEC at the time.
That SEC doesn't smell right to me, I'd have to look at it in person to see how nice or not it really is. It might be a decent example but not for $19k. For that kind of money at least replace the headliner and fix the dent in the door.

Whoever did the seats did a decent job. Most reupholstered MB's I have seen look like crap because people don't want to pay for a MB level job.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
2007 Tiara 3200

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM
CVGBENZLOVER
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 40
Thanks for the information, I figured it was not factory. Btw, I am not considering purchasing this cars, I just came across it while surfing for something I might be really interested in and wondered what you guys thought...

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: North America
Posts: 552
Awesome, a $2,000 car for $19k. They will be sitting on that for a very long time. In 50 years it still won't be worth that amount.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy View Post
W/C126's came with leather, MB Tex or velour. I had all three, velour is awesome and was a no cost option almost no one in the US got.

The interior on that car is either aftermarket or if you can run the cars vin might have been custom ordered. MB did special order stuff for very good customers, some research would be required. If you pull the rear seats you should see tags if they are from MB.
I miss that SDL. I should have sold the cabrio over the boat
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
I miss that SDL. I should have sold the cabrio over the boat
I passed up a $700.00 SDL. The car had good paint, but the guy didn't think it was worth anything because the Maroon leather was smoked from dogs riding around in it. It wasn't TEX so you can imagine. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it when I had the chance. 200K miles on the #14. Those heads aren't as bad as they are painted out to be when it isn't overheated. At least my buddy got the car though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Dr. Sternschnuppe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 561
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy View Post
W/C126's came with leather, MB Tex or velour.
The C126's never came with MB-Tex. And W126s were available with cloth, of course not in the US.

Sorry, but all of you are mistaken.
This interior is absolutely rare (especially in North America) and absolutely factory.
This is leather "Amaretta", brown, interior code 873.

So, in general, SECs were available with velour, leather or leather "Amaretta".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page