Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,384
Land Rover Defender to end production

Hopefully, Land Rover will replace it with a worthy vehicle, not another cutie-utie designed for Venice Beach body builder types and soccer mooooooomies:

Britain: Land Rover Defender, RIP | The Economist

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,461
I reckon through the bad times the British armed forces helped to keep that one alive. The problem these days is that the military use of a Land Rover has been somewhat reduced by "modern" land mine situations.
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I reckon through the bad times the British armed forces helped to keep that one alive. The problem these days is that the military use of a Land Rover has been somewhat reduced by "modern" land mine situations.
I think it's more the rich "hipsters" in large European cities. Don't think I've ever seen more Defenders than in A'dam.
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 PM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
I'll never understand the fixation

Why even look at anything other than a Toyota Diesel LC ?

The option is not available in the U.S.,But elsewhere...
It's the only sensible (from reliability and cost) choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86z195M7z4
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128

Last edited by compress ignite; 12-21-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
Should cut down considerably on the overall need for mechanics.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2014, 11:09 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by compress ignite View Post
Why even look at anything other than a Toyota Diesel LC ?

The option is not available in the U.S.,But elsewhere...
It's the only sensible (from reliability and cost) choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86z195M7z4
Because it uses diesel would be my answer. Bought diesel but never again. Gas model, absolutely will look at. Besides the Land Rover if I am reading right might be OK for the military but since I don't have to or want to prove to others that I can tolerate a vehicle devoid of creature comforts, I'll pass on the Defender.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2014, 11:09 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Should cut down considerably on the overall need for mechanics.
Supposedly it was easier to fix.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-22-2014, 04:30 AM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
I think it's more the rich "hipsters" in large European cities. Don't think I've ever seen more Defenders than in A'dam.
Well it is has been a long time since I went to Amsterdam but I don't remember seeing many Land Rovers.

I think the Defender had a bit of status for a while in the late 1990s but on the whole it got wiped out by MLs and HRVs
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-22-2014, 08:22 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I think the Defender had a bit of status for a while in the late 1990s but on the whole it got wiped out by MLs and HRVs
I'm not sure what status it had other than as a bare minimum stripped down vehicle. My thought is that when the MLs and HRVs came out the wanna be tough guys fell by the wayside. We had those guys when the Hummer came out and when the discomfort of the gas price came, they ditched the Macho status symbol and got what they needed S opposed to what image they wanted to project.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-22-2014, 09:35 AM
A Talent for Obfuscation
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the Deep State
Posts: 12,329
Those who are distressed about missing an opportunity to sample the Land Rover experience should be consoled that Toro, John Deere and Snapper are still producing products...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-23-2014, 02:59 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
X2

"Lawn Tractor" (Riding Mowers) Quality has so degraded ,
Thanks to pressures from the "Big Box" stores (W*l M*rt,L*wes,H*me D*pot,Etc.)
that they be manufactured to a "Price Point"
['Lowest possible Longevity that will get them out the door.]
rather than traditional Quality,as to make them literally "JUNK-ON-WHEELS."
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 3,721
funny reading replies here about the "comforts" of a defender, it was never meant to be "comfortable" - its like a british version of the mutt, no nonsense mechanical item.

The Land Cruiser not the tarted up barge of the USA but the ones that are real LC used in military around the world are quite similar, you get absolute nothing in terms of creature comforts.

the macho wannabees who bought the hummer H2 were in a state of mind which I dont want to know - why would I want to buy a square bodied SUV that is pretty much useless even in town that gives a new meaning to bad gas mileage and drains my account dry.
__________________
2012 BMW X5 (Beef + Granite suspension model)

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-23-2014, 03:11 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulfiqar View Post
funny reading replies here about the "comforts" of a defender, it was never meant to be "comfortable" - its like a british version of the mutt, no nonsense mechanical item.

The Land Cruiser not the tarted up barge of the USA but the ones that are real LC used in military around the world are quite similar, you get absolute nothing in terms of creature comforts.

the macho wannabees who bought the hummer H2 were in a state of mind which I dont want to know - why would I want to buy a square bodied SUV that is pretty much useless even in town that gives a new meaning to bad gas mileage and drains my account dry.
And maybe that is PART, not all, PART of why it failed.

For a military, you bet. I'd not be asking for AC, stereo, 12 way reclining seats, etc, etc. For a car to go around town or cross country, why would I need to subject myself to discomfort and pay for it? Makes no sense to me.

Why is it useless around town? They gave me one as a loaner for a few hours and it wasn't bad.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 3,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
And maybe that is PART, not all, PART of why it failed.

For a military, you bet. I'd not be asking for AC, stereo, 12 way reclining seats, etc, etc. For a car to go around town or cross country, why would I need to subject myself to discomfort and pay for it? Makes no sense to me.

Why is it useless around town? They gave me one as a loaner for a few hours and it wasn't bad.
different strokes here,

the defender market was not mommy mobiles with dvd players playing mickey mouse or 500 way massage seats for the driver. It was bought usually by people who actually had to go offroad - seen lots of them in the kalahari desert.

I had the agony of driving the monstrosity called the H2 - and I live in Houston (roads are pretty large here - it still was bad - and I was tired after 3 hours in it) - doesnt park easily, very clumsy controls, bad visibility whole thing shakes on bad roads.

I dont see it being useful as a mommy carrier or even doing butch duty - maybe I ask too much from vehicles.

currently my concerns are long times in driving seat - hence easement and comfort, less fatigue - my car checks those points.
__________________
2012 BMW X5 (Beef + Granite suspension model)

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulfiqar View Post
It was bought usually by people who actually had to go offroad - seen lots of them in the kalahari desert.

I had the agony of driving the monstrosity called the H2 - and I live in Houston (roads are pretty large here - it still was bad - and I was tired after 3 hours in it) - doesnt park easily, very clumsy controls, bad visibility whole thing shakes on bad roads.

I dont see it being useful as a mommy carrier or even doing butch duty - maybe I ask too much from vehicles.

currently my concerns are long times in driving seat - hence easement and comfort, less fatigue - my car checks those points.
Unfortunately, you are correct. If I was going into the desert, the old military Jeep or the defender is adequate. When that crowd shrinks, well, the product dies with the market. It won't sell well to the crowd that cares about creature comforts.

I found the H2 and H3 easier (relatively) than the H1 but compared to other SUVs or my Excursion, there isn't much of a difference. Obviously, compared to your E320 (W210?) you are correct. It sucks. Hell, even compared to my 99 E300, it sucks for the reasons you mentioned but they are different vehicles.

I'm sure you don't but that is NOT what it was designed for. It was designed to LOOK the part. It was designed so I can look to be tough and rugged to show off to my buddies. Run any of the H series alongside with the military Hummer and take it thru the paces if you want to see parts fall off in rough terrain.

Maybe the W210 does but it scores no points when it comes to LOOKING tough. I can't look or sound rugged to my buddies when I pull up in a W210. Again, you bought a H series for the image. Much like a lot of the militia wear camo and prance around with an AR to look and sound tough to their buddies. Obviously joining the military and being tough is harder than to look the part. Would I wear camo if I was hunting anything but deer during gun season? Sure. Because the situation demands it. Same as if I was training in the military. For daily wear? If I need to look the part, yes.

__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page