Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Aquaticedge's Avatar
Bump on a log
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: See Biography
Posts: 3,148
Mitsuodge Project

I did a small bit of work for our neighbor friends and was given this wee little truck in exchange for it, so I figure I can have a little fun and fix it up etc

I need your help! Parts for tis thing are... Well, Hard to come by here

Nothing Major, nothing huge. but if you have one of these buggers kickin about with some parts I need... Welll. Please lemme know

This is an 86 D50, one of the Mitsubishi Rebadge jobbers (62K miles, not pertinent but nice)

I need:

Front Grille (Colour is not important. the whole truck will eventually be painted anyways)

The Flexi pipe betwixt the Exhaust manifold and Air cleaner

Tailgate hinges

Rear tail lights (these have proven to be a right %$$#% to find here... I technically need only the right side. but I do want both. whole assemblies if possible. if not, the lenses in great shape will do nice)

The biggest part is the grille... There's one crack in mine... while I could repair it... if there's one out there thats blemish/nick/dent free.. it'd be easier to swap out

I'll update this thread as I do stuff to it. and eventually sell it.

it has to be parts from an 86/85. 87 is the next generation and the parts wont be the same unfortunatly. there's a few out in Cali at picknpulls



__________________
hum.....
1987 300TD 311,000M Stolen. Presumed destroyed
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-23-2015, 01:26 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,982
It's a 4G63 swap away from being a hot rod!


Sent from an abacus
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Aquaticedge's Avatar
Bump on a log
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: See Biography
Posts: 3,148
according to the dataplate this thing came with a G63B engine
__________________
hum.....
1987 300TD 311,000M Stolen. Presumed destroyed
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticedge View Post
according to the dataplate this thing came with a G63B engine

Yup, carb'd 8 valve sohc. A turbo 4g63 out of a turbo eclipse or lancer Evo mates right up to the trans. The starion/conquest guys are all over those trans because they have a narrow block mounting (or maybe I have it backwards) for the bell housing and is basically bolt in for those cars. Anyways that truck looks super clean, nice grab!


Sent from an abacus
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Aquaticedge's Avatar
Bump on a log
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: See Biography
Posts: 3,148
No major rust. just some on the tailgate. the non power brakes are something to get used to. It's been awhile lol
__________________
hum.....
1987 300TD 311,000M Stolen. Presumed destroyed
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Redefining normal daily
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 445
85 Mighty Max was the first brand new vehicle I ever bought. Loved that thing to death!

189K miles, and the ONLY repair done outside of oil changes and tires was to replace the alternator.
__________________
1961 220b: first project car - sold.
2000 CLK 430: first modern Benz - sold.
2001 CLK 55: OMG the torque!!! - sold
1972 280SE 4.5: Baby Gustav
1991 300TE 4Matic: Gretel the Snow Bunny - sold
1978 300SD: Katz the Free Man
1980 Redhead: Darling Wife
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,180
Its a handsome well cared for truck it would appear. My Mitsu Montero is a really nice little truck. I have a 6' plow on it and it just keeps plugging along with only routine maintenance. Its very rugged.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 PM
Mölyapina's Avatar
User title not in use
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticedge View Post
No major rust. just some on the tailgate. the non power brakes are something to get used to. It's been awhile lol
Manual brakes -- wow! Does it have manual steering, too?
__________________
"Senior Luna, your sense of humor is still loco... but we love it, anyway." -rickymay ____ "Your sense of humor is still loco... " -MBeige ____ "Señor Luna, your sense of humor is quite järjetön" -Delibes

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues ____ 1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 AM
sunedog's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: White Rock, SC
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonajim View Post
189K miles, and the ONLY repair done outside of oil changes and tires was to replace the alternator.
I still have a 1987 Mighty Max I bought used in 1988. Great little truck that has only seen limited use since 1993.

For a period of years, that thing ate AutoZone alternators. Good thing they had a lifetime warranty. I would only drive that truck about once every month or so and the alternators would die about every year. Got to the point I kept a dedicated ratchet and socket in the truck to change them out in AutoZone's parking lot. I probably changed them 5 times. Luckily, the one that is in there now has been going strong for quite a while.
__________________


Behind every great man is a great woman. Behind every great woman is a great behind.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Aquaticedge's Avatar
Bump on a log
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: See Biography
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooseppi Luna View Post
Manual brakes -- wow! Does it have manual steering, too?
It does have power steering, not an Armstrong box

It does have funnily enough, a ruidmentary EPA crap too, an EGR and either a Pyrometer probe or an o2 sensor too, the light on the dash says 'Check EGR' I'm assuming by some of the recipts with it that its clogged with carbon.
__________________
hum.....
1987 300TD 311,000M Stolen. Presumed destroyed
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 5,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticedge View Post
I did a small bit of work for our neighbor friends and was given this wee little truck in exchange for it, so I figure I can have a little fun and fix it up etc

I need your help! Parts for tis thing are... Well, Hard to come by here

Nothing Major, nothing huge. but if you have one of these buggers kickin about with some parts I need... Welll. Please lemme know

This is an 86 D50, one of the Mitsubishi Rebadge jobbers (62K miles, not pertinent but nice)

I need:

Front Grille (Colour is not important. the whole truck will eventually be painted anyways)

The Flexi pipe betwixt the Exhaust manifold and Air cleaner

Tailgate hinges

Rear tail lights (these have proven to be a right %$$#% to find here... I technically need only the right side. but I do want both. whole assemblies if possible. if not, the lenses in great shape will do nice)

The biggest part is the grille... There's one crack in mine... while I could repair it... if there's one out there thats blemish/nick/dent free.. it'd be easier to swap out

I'll update this thread as I do stuff to it. and eventually sell it.

it has to be parts from an 86/85. 87 is the next generation and the parts wont be the same unfortunatly. there's a few out in Cali at picknpulls

For the flexi-pipe - salvage-yard or autoparts store.
Many vehicles used these.
For everything else - try salvage-yard or eBay first. Or maybe craigslist.
If no luck finding a grill - repair the old one.
" " " " " " Tailgate hinges - you may need to get creative here.
" " " " " " Tail lights - you can probably find something to put back there, just to make it legal, Might even be able to find lights from another, newer or more-common truck, that look/fit pretty close. Otherwise it won't be very pretty.

Happy Motoring, Mark
__________________
DrDKW
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Aquaticedge's Avatar
Bump on a log
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: See Biography
Posts: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DiSilvestro View Post
For the flexi-pipe - salvage-yard or autoparts store.
Many vehicles used these.
For everything else - try salvage-yard or eBay first. Or maybe craigslist.
If no luck finding a grill - repair the old one.
" " " " " " Tailgate hinges - you may need to get creative here.
" " " " " " Tail lights - you can probably find something to put back there, just to make it legal, Might even be able to find lights from another, newer or more-common truck, that look/fit pretty close. Otherwise it won't be very pretty.

Happy Motoring, Mark
Need to find someone in California. I found a ebay auction and made a deal for a new set. the problem child thus far is the hinges and grille. I may forge my own hinges. I have one good one. one bad one. they should mirror each other. so there is hope.
__________________
hum.....
1987 300TD 311,000M Stolen. Presumed destroyed
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Aquaticedge's Avatar
Bump on a log
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: See Biography
Posts: 3,148
Hope one of you can point me to the right place. This truck runs fantastically when its warm. when it first fires off it runs like hell, like a choke is sticking. anyone familuar with this engine enough to tell me what to look for? It's been 16+ years since i've fiddled with a Carburetor
__________________
hum.....
1987 300TD 311,000M Stolen. Presumed destroyed
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-15-2015, 01:34 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,180
My Montero has the 2.6 liter four with a carburetor. My favorite machinist rebuilt the carb before I bought the truck and it runs like a top. Choke works as it is supposed to etc. (Forgive if I insult your intelligence....) Do you know how to operate a vehicle with an automatic choke? First thing to do before starting cold is to push the gas pedal down far enough to set the choke and fast idle....then start it. After it warms up the idle will be racing. At that point tap the gas to let off the fast idle feature.

If its very cold, I pump it a few times before depressing to set the choke and fast idle, then crank. And if it does not start right up I stop cranking and pump it a couple more times.

If you don't do it this way it won't drive worth crapola. So, try it. Maybe your carb is fine.
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 5,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticedge View Post
Hope one of you can point me to the right place. This truck runs fantastically when its warm. when it first fires off it runs like hell, like a choke is sticking. anyone familuar with this engine enough to tell me what to look for? It's been 16+ years since i've fiddled with a Carburetor
Those Mitsubishi engines use a 2V Mikuni carburetor, with an unusual choke design. Instead of a bi-metal spring, it uses a coolant-heated pellet, like that used in a coolant thermostat, to slowly open the choke flap via a gear-set. What typically happens is the choke pull off diaphragm fails. Then the carb runs extremely rich until the choke eventually opens. As I recall, there's an anti-tamper cover riveted in place, and you need to drill/cut the rivet(s) before you can work on the choke actuator assy. If you're lucky, you can still get a carb-kit, with the CORRECT pull-off diaphragm assy included. I got a kit years ago for one of these that had the right diaphragm attached to the wrong link, so I wound up disassembling and transferring the new diaphragm to the original link. Also there's a bendable adjustment in the linkage that I would adjust towards the lean side.
Otherwise, you would need to disable or remove the automatic choke actuator and rig up some type of manual-choke cable.
Or at least prop the choke partly open so you don't flood and load up the oil with gas. The cam in this engine spins directly in the aluminum head, without any replaceable bearings. You don't want to compromise it's lubrication!
Hope this helps.

Happy Motoring, Mark

__________________
DrDKW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page