Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:04 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Fell into a deal last night...

I got a call the other day, asking if I was interested in purchasing a used gun safe from a friend of a friend. After photos were exchanged and price was agreed on, I went over to the house to pick it up. Nice safe, Stack-on brand that matches the one I already had, all shelving inside instead of storage for long guns, etc...I paid the lady the $50 we agreed on and started to leave. She asked me if I was interested in some machinery, which I'm always interested in looking at.

We went out to the garage where her incarcerated husband had a nice set up...walls filled with benches, cabinets, tool boxes, Harley parts, and a hot rod that he was building before he got busted. She pointed out a drill press and a band saw, and told me that if I can give her $150, they're mine. She's selling everything and leaving town out of embarassment for what he did.

Anyway, as of tonight, I'll be the owner of a Porter Cable 2-speed, 14" bandsaw that has had little use, and a Centeral Machinery 12-speed, 20" production drill press that has had some use, and the switch replaced, because he lost the plastic key. Both items together sell new for around $950, MSRP.

I think I like the $150 purchase price. If these machines are as good as they looked and sounded, I'll be able to sell my 10" Companion (cheap Chicom Sears sold in the 90's) band saw, and Craftsman 9" drill press. Both new machines are floor models, where the ones I'll sell are bench models.

I love being in the right place at the right time...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:10 PM
tyl604's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,295
Good news for a change. Great.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 8,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
I got a call the other day, asking if I was interested in purchasing a used gun safe from a friend of a friend. After photos were exchanged and price was agreed on, I went over to the house to pick it up. Nice safe, Stack-on brand that matches the one I already had, all shelving inside instead of storage for long guns, etc...I paid the lady the $50 we agreed on and started to leave. She asked me if I was interested in some machinery, which I'm always interested in looking at.

We went out to the garage where her incarcerated husband had a nice set up...walls filled with benches, cabinets, tool boxes, Harley parts, and a hot rod that he was building before he got busted. She pointed out a drill press and a band saw, and told me that if I can give her $150, they're mine. She's selling everything and leaving town out of embarassment for what he did.

Anyway, as of tonight, I'll be the owner of a Porter Cable 2-speed, 14" bandsaw that has had little use, and a Centeral Machinery 12-speed, 20" production drill press that has had some use, and the switch replaced, because he lost the plastic key. Both items together sell new for around $950, MSRP.

I think I like the $150 purchase price. If these machines are as good as they looked and sounded, I'll be able to sell my 10" Companion (cheap Chicom Sears sold in the 90's) band saw, and Craftsman 9" drill press. Both new machines are floor models, where the ones I'll sell are bench models.

I love being in the right place at the right time...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Did she say how long his sentence is? Cause when he gets out, he will find her, she will take him back, and tell him where his gun safe and equipment went. Would have been without a hitch if he was incinerated and not incarcerated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloride View Post
Did she say how long his sentence is? Cause when he gets out, he will find her, she will take him back, and tell him where his gun safe and equipment went.
Many years...55 counts of kiddie porn. He was caught with cameras, spying on her daughter, as well as their friends. It's a horrible situation. She was the money maker in the family. He barely worked, opting to be a stay at home person. She's the one that paid for everything.

There's no chance of her taking him back. She was awarded everything in a divorce.

Sent from my soup cans and twine using Tapatalk
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 8,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
Many years...55 counts of kiddie porn. He was caught with cameras, spying on her daughter, as well as their friends. It's a horrible situation. She was the money maker in the family. He barely worked, opting to be a stay at home person. She's the one that paid for everything.

There's no chance of her taking him back. She was awarded everything in a divorce.

Sent from my soup cans and twine using Tapatalk
That clears thing up a lot, that she purchased them and got the property in the divorce and were hers to sell. Good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:24 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloride View Post
That clears thing up a lot, that she purchased them and hers to sell. Good deal.
Yeah, I questioned it. My friend bought the guys Harley on the cheap from her, along with upgrades that hadn't been installed yet.

She's selling everything that was his that she got in the divorce, including the home, and moving on.

Sent from my soup cans and twine using Tapatalk
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-2017, 04:02 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 35,525
She have any Ferraris or Porsches for $400?
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2017, 07:08 PM
jplinville's Avatar
Conservative
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio region
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
She have any Ferraris or Porsches for $400?
I wish. I'm going back tomorrow to pick up the 6" Wilton bench vice for $25 and the 6 Optimus infrared ceiling mounted heater that are in the garage...for $30 each. They were put in recently, and are like new. I'm keeping 2 of them, and selling the others to my brother for $40 each

Tom...She does have a Factory Five '33 hot rod in the garage that I believe she's selling. All the parts are there, but the car is not completed. It's my understanding that it's a $20K kit, and that her husband put about $30K into it thus far. It's within a daytrip drive from you. If you're interested, let me know via PM and I'll pass on your contact info to her.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
__________________
1987 560SL
85,000 miles




Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 8,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
I wish. I'm going back tomorrow to pick up the 6" Wilton bench vice for $25 and the 6 Optimus infrared ceiling mounted heater that are in the garage...for $30 each. They were put in recently, and are like new. I'm keeping 2 of them, and selling the others to my brother for $40 each

Tom...She does have a Factory Five '33 hot rod in the garage that I believe she's selling. All the parts are there, but the car is not completed. It's my understanding that it's a $20K kit, and that her husband put about $30K into it thus far. It's within a daytrip drive from you. If you're interested, let me know via PM and I'll pass on your contact info to her.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I am surprised none of they guys here asked you to pass on "HER" information earlier.
The bread winner that buys him a bunch of toys to boot. Just don't tell them she also owns a chain of liquor stores.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,512
Dang, terrible situation. Glad the guy went away for a long time, hope her and her daughter can move past it.

Good buy on the safe and tools.
__________________
617 swapped Toyota Pickup, 22-24 MPG, 44k miles on swap
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-14-2017, 09:07 PM
vwnate1's Avatar
Diesel Dandy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny So. Cal. !
Posts: 5,232
Post

Here in Los Angeles the County has a sweet deal where you die and they steal everything you own, toss it rudely into boxes and auction it all off .

I've made some steals on shop stuff and furniture .

The local antique stores all mob it and grab up the rare stuff, coins, art and so on .

cars too often are over priced but I scored some old Motocycles cheaply a while back .

__________________
-Nate
1982 240D creampuff 380,000 miles
1984 300CD KEEPER ! 481,XXX miles
1984 Euro 300TD Fully optioned SWMBO's
1974 350SLC 4 speed SOLD & missed
Kooky Kommie Ural Motocycles (3)
BMW Moto R60/6 Barn Find, 8,000miles
1959 VW #113 DeLuxe Beetle, 36hp engine, stock
Junk, Rust, Arthritis, Crushed Spine,Broken Neck, Back & arm, lots of screws, pins & plates .
Memories, Peace Of Mind
facts & reality don't change because you can't handle them
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page