Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
My memories of Delta Flight 191......

At the time I lived in Irving, Texas and was working at a data processing center somewhere in central Dallas. At work we listened to the radio.....somewhere late evening we all heard the news of Delta Flight 191 crashing at DF/W airport.

Since I lived close to the airport, I hopped in the car and drove straight to the crash site. As I rolled up on the crash scene in my beater Toyota Celica around 10:00 PM, I rolled down the window. Dead silent, they had lights set up that were as bright as anything you would see at a baseball stadium at night.

The silence is what got to me....no sounds of life..........I'll never forget it. BTW, the dents in the water tanks are still visible from Highway 114 if you drive by north of the airport. I always wondered why they didn't move the water tanks from the approach end of the airport......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_191


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2018, 06:35 AM
optimusprime's Avatar
Trevor Hadlington
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worcestershire in England
Posts: 1,295
Thank you for that information Husky Man .
This is news lots of others dont know about ,like me .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2018, 06:43 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
If you ever witness something like this, you will never forget it; it stays in your memory banks. After I read the only survivors were seated in the tail section, I began booking my seat in the rear of the aircraft. This was prior to 9/11, since TSA started feeling people up, stealing items from your luggage, etc., I've stopped flying.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 26,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMan View Post
If you ever witness something like this, you will never forget it; it stays in your memory banks. After I read the only survivors were seated in the tail section, I began booking my seat in the rear of the aircraft. This was prior to 9/11, since TSA started feeling people up, stealing items from your luggage, etc., I've stopped flying.

There is no 'safest' seat on a plane. Who survives and where they are seated all depends on the type of accident that happens. Given your expansive lack of knowledge of all things aviation your 'logic' is not surprising to anyone here.

We all thank you for not flying. No one on a plane wants to be stuck next to an irrational individual.


UA 232

Quote:
Of the 296 people on board, 111 died in the crash. Most were killed by injuries sustained in the multiple impacts, but 35 people in the middle fuselage section directly above the fuel tanks died from smoke inhalation in the post-crash fire. Of those, 24 had no traumatic blunt-force injuries. The majority of the 185 survivors were seated behind first class and ahead of the wings.[7] Many passengers were able to walk out through the ruptures to the structure.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2018, 04:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
Air Traffic Controllers are NOT pilots and yet pilots regularly turn over control of the aircraft to them. Read the first sentence six times and let it sink in.......

Last edited by HuskyMan; 02-26-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 26,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMan View Post
Air Traffic Controllers are NOT pilots and yet pilots regularly turn over control of the aircraft to them. Read the first sentence six times and let it sink in.......
Before I call BS on this, what exactly do you mean by control? Are you saying a ATC who is jump seating gets to fly the plane?
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
Oldest concept in the world. Unless you walk in a man's boots, you have no idea what his life is like. If you haven't gone through commercial pilot training either via the military or a recognized school, i.e. Spartan or Emory you:

1. Do not possess the skills to fly a commercial aircraft and...

2. HAVE NO EXPERIENCE occupying the pilot's throne.

and yet, as an ATC, you have power over pilots, co-pilots, flight crews and THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of passengers each and every day.

In the old days, the Captain of the ship was the captain of the ship. NOBODY was allowed to pilot the ship except (drum roll) THE FRIGGIN' CAPTAIN!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
Reminds me of a flight I was on while serving in the Air Force. We were on a flight to South Dakota aboard a four star General's Boeing 707 (KC 135). You wanna know where your tax dollars are going? FIRST CLASS seating throughout the aircraft, two air force captains were his pilots, a flight attendant and he had his own office in the rear.

When we got near the air force base in North Dakota, the general gets up and goes to the cockpit. We strap on our seatbelts and prepare for landing. Only one problem, mr four star had learned to fly props during WWII and had very very little experience in jets. He came in so hot and fast we bounced off the runway three or four times. He took every inch of the 9000 foot runway, he finally made the very last turn around. We thought he was going to run the plane off the concrete and into the grass.

On the flight home, a friend and I went up to the cockpit and questioned the pilots about what had happened during the previous landing. That's when they informed us about the LACK of skills the four star general had with regards to flying jets. Fortunately, we never flew with that guy again.....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2018, 11:44 AM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMan View Post
Oldest concept in the world. Unless you walk in a man's boots, you have no idea what his life is like. If you haven't gone through commercial pilot training either via the military or a recognized school, i.e. Spartan or Emory you:

1. Do not possess the skills to fly a commercial aircraft and...

2. HAVE NO EXPERIENCE occupying the pilot's throne.

and yet, as an ATC, you have power over pilots, co-pilots, flight crews and THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of passengers each and every day.

In the old days, the Captain of the ship was the captain of the ship. NOBODY was allowed to pilot the ship except (drum roll) THE FRIGGIN' CAPTAIN!!!
What a stupid post. ATCs go through years of extensive training and education. Go back in your cave.
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
What a stupid post. ATCs go through years of extensive training and education. Go back in your cave.
I don't care if they've been trained to save people from the California wildfires. They are NOT licensed to fly ANY aircraft. And, even if they WERE licensed to fly a plane, they do not REGULARLY exercise those flying skills on a DAILY basis.

This is Delta Air Lines Flight 191 cleared for approach to DF/W. Ladies and gentlement, thank you for flying with us today. Please place your seats into their upright positions, return your tray tables to their locked position and fasten your seat belts. Since ATC ORDERED us to fly a mere 7 knots ABOVE STALL straight into microburst weather conditions, get ready to kiss your sorry a** good bye becase WE WILL BE CRASHING SHORTLY!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-27-2018, 02:45 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 26,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMan View Post
Oldest concept in the world. Unless you walk in a man's boots, you have no idea what his life is like. If you haven't gone through commercial pilot training either via the military or a recognized school, i.e. Spartan or Emory you:

1. Do not possess the skills to fly a commercial aircraft and...

2. HAVE NO EXPERIENCE occupying the pilot's throne.

and yet, as an ATC, you have power over pilots, co-pilots, flight crews and THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of passengers each and every day.

In the old days, the Captain of the ship was the captain of the ship. NOBODY was allowed to pilot the ship except (drum roll) THE FRIGGIN' CAPTAIN!!!
You know, I really do not care if I get an infraction for this as it's been a while and I am due for one so I might as well get it out of the way now.

You are freaking moron who would not have a clue how to navigate out of a paper bag. You are a pathological liar on par with 45. You are so detached from reality that you really should be supervised 24/7/365 because I think you pose a risk to others. You live in some fantasy land where facts mean nothing. Reality means nothing.

I have serious doubts that you even know what a plane it much less have ever been on one. If you had a clue you would realize how utterly ignorant this and nearly every aviation based post you have ever made here are.

I do not know if you have a care giver but if not you seriously need to consider getting one.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
You know, I really do not care if I get an infraction for this as it's been a while and I am due for one so I might as well get it out of the way now.

You are freaking moron who would not have a clue how to navigate out of a paper bag. You are a pathological liar on par with 45. You are so detached from reality that you really should be supervised 24/7/365 because I think you pose a risk to others. You live in some fantasy land where facts mean nothing. Reality means nothing.

I have serious doubts that you even know what a plane it much less have ever been on one. If you had a clue you would realize how utterly ignorant this and nearly every aviation based post you have ever made here are.

I do not know if you have a care giver but if not you seriously need to consider getting one.
Perfect.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,061
Commercial pilots with thousands of hours in the cockpit bossed around by ground based NON-PILOTS.

Perfect.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-27-2018, 03:11 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 26,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMan View Post
I don't care if they've been trained to save people from the California wildfires. They are NOT licensed to fly ANY aircraft. And, even if they WERE licensed to fly a plane, they do not REGULARLY exercise those flying skills on a DAILY basis.

This is Delta Air Lines Flight 191 cleared for approach to DF/W. Ladies and gentlement, thank you for flying with us today. Please place your seats into their upright positions, return your tray tables to their locked position and fasten your seat belts. Since ATC ORDERED us to fly a mere 7 knots ABOVE STALL straight into microburst weather conditions, get ready to kiss your sorry a** good bye becase WE WILL BE CRASHING SHORTLY!!!!
https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Lockheed_L-1011_TriStar.html

Stall speed of a L1011 is between 124mph and 131mph with gears and flaps down @ max landing weight. ATC instructed DL 191 to slow to 150 mph. SInce you have difficulty with math that is 20 mph above stall speed. While DL191 was on final approach they encountered a head wind that increased airspeed to 170. They reduced engine power to near idle at their own discretion, not due to ATC instructions.

Quote:
At 1805:19, at 800 feet, Flight 191 entered the rainshaft directly beneath the convective cell. The captain cautioned the first officer to watch his airspeed and a sound, identified as rain, was recorded on the CVR. At 1805:21, the captain warned the first officer, "You're gonna lose it all of a sudden, there it is." At 1805:26 the captain stated, "Push it up, push it way up." At 1805:29, throttles were full forward and the sound of engines at high rpm was heard on the CVR, and the captain said "That's it." During these ten seconds, the headwind decreased by 25 knots and the downdraft increased from about 18 feet per second to more than 30 feet per second (1800 feet per minute). Thrust was near flight idle for the first six seconds of this period and, combined with the loss in headwind component, aircraft airspeed dropped 30 knots. Despite being at full, or near full power, airspeed continued to decrease over the next four seconds to 129 knots, for a total loss of 44 knots in ten seconds. At this point, the decreasing trend of the headwind reversed itself, and along with the high thrust condition, resulted in a rapid increase in airspeed from 129 to 147 knots. At 1805:31, thrust was reduced and by 1805:35 the airspeed decreased to 140 knots. The airplane was just above 600 feet, still in the rainshaft, approximately ten knots slow, but had essentially maintained the glide slope despite airspeed fluctuations of +23/-21 knots and downdrafts ranging from 15 to 40 feet per second during the preceding 32 seconds.
Lessons Learned

DVP's POTPOURRI: TRYING TO LAND DELTA FLIGHT 191 IN A SIMULATOR

Bottom line is you are wrong again. The pilot does not do anything they do not feel is justified or correct. The pilots on DL191 acted in the best interest of the plane and their passengers with the info they had at the time. ATC was acting in the best interest of the crew and passengers as well. Sometimes things happen that are beyond the control of the people involved.

Get a freaking clue. Everyone here already knows you are mentally challenged at best. The more you post the more you confirm that fact.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-27-2018, 03:12 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 26,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMan View Post
Commercial pilots with thousands of hours in the cockpit bossed around by ground based NON-PILOTS.

Perfect.
How are you even able to turn on your PC?

__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page