Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2018, 11:59 AM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 30,970
Direct TV Now

Does anyone have it? Looking to cut down on TV cost and this will save me 50% over current bills. I know there is no DVR capability but according to the site, programing is available soon after broadcasting. Anyone know any more details on that part? We like to watch various sit-coms. Will they be available that night or do we have to wait a few days.... ??

Ms Mash will not give up channel surfing, she will not watch on a tablet or phone, she will not go to web sites to steam, she will not hunt on a Roku or what ever.

She likes what she likes and I am not going to fight that battle. So for those looking to give alternatives .... don't unless the above criteria is met.

DTV Now's basic $35 package has the channel she wants so I am good with that.

Thanks

__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
Does anyone have it? Looking to cut down on TV cost and this will save me 50% over current bills. I know there is no DVR capability but according to the site, programing is available soon after broadcasting. Anyone know any more details on that part? We like to watch various sit-coms. Will they be available that night or do we have to wait a few days.... ??

Ms Mash will not give up channel surfing, she will not watch on a tablet or phone, she will not go to web sites to steam, she will not hunt on a Roku or what ever.

She likes what she likes and I am not going to fight that battle. So for those looking to give alternatives .... don't unless the above criteria is met.

DTV Now's basic $35 package has the channel she wants so I am good with that.

Thanks
Yep I've had it for about a year, love it. The availability is generally from the time it's broadcast to a couple weeks afterwards. I will have to ask the wife, I don't use on demand much. Nice thing is being able to stream anywhere on pretty much any device. Anyways I'm pretty happy with it and saves a few bucks over cable.

you can channel surf all you want on it, just get a roku box. It's basically like a cable box with a guide, channel up/down etc, no real difference.
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 30,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
Yep I've had it for about a year, love it. The availability is generally from the time it's broadcast to a couple weeks afterwards. I will have to ask the wife, I don't use on demand much. Nice thing is being able to stream anywhere on pretty much any device. Anyways I'm pretty happy with it and saves a few bucks over cable.

you can channel surf all you want on it, just get a roku box. It's basically like a cable box with a guide, channel up/down etc, no real difference.
I was thinking if the 7 day trial goes well with the spouse I will prepay the 3 months and get the Apple TV. Not a Apple fan but free is free. I can put that one in the bedroom and if I can teach the wife how to use the HTC I'm set. Who am I kidding. I'm going to have to pick up a Chrome cast or a Roku for the family room.... one more freaking device.

If you can ask her that would be great. Thanks
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:25 PM
INSIDIOUS's Avatar
25A
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Honah Lee
Posts: 16,788
Sounds like a Spanish Pipedream to me

She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol
And I was just a soldier on my way to Montreal
Well, she pressed her chest against me
About the time the juke box broke
Yeah, she gave me a peck on the back of the neck
And these are the words she spoke
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 AM
oldsinner111's Avatar
once a happy man
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bristol,tn
Posts: 5,841
if it snows,no picture,hard rain no picture.I gave up on tv,so many commercials,I just have 100 mb high speed net,and watch netflix or youtube.
__________________
make america suck putin again
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2018, 12:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsinner111 View Post
if it snows,no picture,hard rain no picture.I gave up on tv,so many commercials,I just have 100 mb high speed net,and watch netflix or youtube.
Direct NOW is delivered over the net, not a dish.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2018, 01:40 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
I was thinking if the 7 day trial goes well with the spouse I will prepay the 3 months and get the Apple TV. Not a Apple fan but free is free. I can put that one in the bedroom and if I can teach the wife how to use the HTC I'm set. Who am I kidding. I'm going to have to pick up a Chrome cast or a Roku for the family room.... one more freaking device.

If you can ask her that would be great. Thanks
apparently it's a 72 hour rewind on live tv, and supplemented by a typical on-demand type service
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 9,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
apparently it's a 72 hour rewind on live tv, and supplemented by a typical on-demand type service
From what you know that rewind is available for all current Direct TV stations, and come with the guide? If so they may have just turned a $140/month customer into a $35/mo customer
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2018, 03:28 PM
tyl604's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,421
Comcast in Atlanta is $185 for phone, internet, and tv. Outrageous.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2018, 04:02 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 30,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloride View Post
From what you know that rewind is available for all current Direct TV stations, and come with the guide? If so they may have just turned a $140/month customer into a $35/mo customer
My understanding is yes. One catch I have been reading about in the reviews is that there are adds (not a huge issue) but you cannot fast-forward. You have to watch a show from beginning to end. If you want to take up a show where you left off it will not let you.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 9,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
My understanding is yes. One catch I have been reading about in the reviews is that there are adds (not a huge issue) but you cannot fast-forward. You have to watch a show from beginning to end. If you want to take up a show where you left off it will not let you.
The one reason I like the DVR, and pay 140/mo. I could do W/O watching something I wanted to watch three weeks ago, but don't want to sit through commercials. DVRing the Duke/Kansas second half now. Someone will come up with a way to send it to a hard drive that allows you to fast forward.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-25-2018, 07:39 PM
davidmash's Avatar
Supercalifragilisticexpia
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 30,970
I'm the same way. Hate commercials. The DTV rep said that the steaming is still being rolled out so there are bugs and such to be worked out.

I know if I go to the NBC site or what ever to stream an episode I can back up go forward and all that. They do make.you sit through adds but I can mute the TV or leave and do something while they are playing. I'd settle for that set up.
__________________
Sent from an agnostic abacus

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-26-2018, 06:57 AM
oldsinner111's Avatar
once a happy man
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bristol,tn
Posts: 5,841
I was raised in the san francisco east bay area.I remember when cable first came out.They advertised,no commercials. What happened?
__________________
make america suck putin again
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-26-2018, 07:00 AM
oldsinner111's Avatar
once a happy man
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bristol,tn
Posts: 5,841
One thing else,Hollywood no longer interest me really.They remake every show and movie.New shows like walking dead are soaps,never ending shows.No real action and finish in one hour anymore.Remaking ok for special effects,but its a slap in the face of people who worked hard.
__________________
make america suck putin again
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-06-2018, 11:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: LA - the state
Posts: 146
Davidmash,

How's the direct now working for you and the Mrs.?

How soon are programs available after original broadcast?

Am in same boat as you.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page