Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:13 AM
elchivito's Avatar
ˇAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,047
AAA towing?

Son has been using my old 93 Toyota 4x4 pickup. He lives about 80 miles away. It started making noise at 290K miles and he discovered broken timing chain connectors. He's in no position to repair it himself - although he wants to. He adores that old kidney masher. Not going to happen in an apartment complex parking lot.

So I took him our Honda Element and need to get the Toy back home. One yahoo quoted me 500 dollars. Yeah. A friend said "sign him up with the mid-level AAA membership for 91 dollars. They have 100 mile free towing. Then have him call for a tow and send it home."

Seems almost too good to be true. Is it?
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: El Mirage,California
Posts: 2,616
Howdy elchivito,
I think there is a waiting period after becoming a member. Plus it may have to be taken to a repair shop.
__________________
Frank X. Morris
17 Kia Niro
08 Jeep Wrangler 4 door unlimited
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:11 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,201
I've done that...literally upped my aaa membership from the side of the road to expand the tow radius. They were able to do it instantly for me.
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 PM
elchivito's Avatar
ˇAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,047
Looks like it's a 7 day wait before services kick in. I'm not in a hurry.
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 AM
JB3 JB3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 6,579
Worth every penny. Though there is a yearly limit to tow distances in the fine print, so gotta make sure its gonna run reliably for a while after the 80 mile tow

I once had a 95 mile tow clear across the new york metroplitan area from AAA. Would have cost 1000 dollars without my membership. No limit on where they will tow the vehicle, does not need to be a repair shop
__________________
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Fulcrum525's Avatar
Sing Blue Silver
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 2,083
I did it when I bought my Gwagen. However something very important to keep in mind is that the vehicle has to be registered to you or they won't tow it. This didn't use to be the many case years ago but it is something they updated some time ago. They will bring it anywhere you need be it home or a shop so long as it's within the distance limit. There are different levels you can purchase which give you different free towing limits.
__________________
1982 300GD Carmine Red (DB3535) Cabriolet
1990 300SEL Smoke Silver (Parting out)
1991 350SDL Blackberry Metallic (481)

"The thing is Bob, its not that I'm lazy...its that I just don't care."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2018, 11:24 AM
TX76513's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brandon, Mississippi
Posts: 5,188
uhmm....Additional charges for Roadside Assistance services beyond the
“Classic” benefit level, such as towing beyond 3 miles
,
__________________
BENZ THERE DONE THAThttp://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...c/progress.gif
15 VW Passat TDI
00 E420
98 E300 DT
97 E420 Donor Car - NEED PARTS? PM ME!
97 S500
97 E300D
86 Holden Jackaroo Turbo D
86 300SDL
(o\|/o)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2018, 12:24 PM
elchivito's Avatar
ˇAy Jodido!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rancho Disparates
Posts: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
Worth every penny. Though there is a yearly limit to tow distances in the fine print, so gotta make sure its gonna run reliably for a while after the 80 mile tow

I once had a 95 mile tow clear across the new york metroplitan area from AAA. Would have cost 1000 dollars without my membership. No limit on where they will tow the vehicle, does not need to be a repair shop
I am going to sell it as is. These trucks are in great demand around here and it's a perfect restoration project for somebody with the space, tools and means. Not a flaw in the body, no frame cracks, good interior etc. It's unmolested. Teenager owned examples that have been hammered into the ground mud-bogging and boulder crawling routinely bring 2-3K dollars and are getting scarce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum525 View Post
I did it when I bought my Gwagen. However something very important to keep in mind is that the vehicle has to be registered to you or they won't tow it. This didn't use to be the many case years ago but it is something they updated some time ago. They will bring it anywhere you need be it home or a shop so long as it's within the distance limit. There are different levels you can purchase which give you different free towing limits.
Title is in son's name, so no worries there.
__________________
You're a daisy if you do.
__________________________________
84 Euro 240D 4spd. 220.5k sold
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2018, 12:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 196
AAA plus RV. Gets you the 100 mile tow, plus they will tow motorcycles. I started with them when I got the 59 bug, and the AAA folks have been really nice to deal with. Had the 77 hauled home last week after the water pump belt self distructed.
Nice bonus is they will renew CT liscense at the local office, no need to go to DMV.
__________________
77 300D, new addition to the fleet
83 300CD 370k, gone away
89 190E 2.6- 335k, no more
79 VW FI Bus- 145k miles, summer driver
59 VW Beetle ragtop- 175k miles
12 VW Jetta- 140k miles
76 MG Midget, 60k miles pos
77 MG Midget in boxes, next project...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,713
Driving old cars, I find that having the platinum level service is good insurance. I've had more than one long tow to recover a disabled car, as well as innumerable roadside jump starts, fuel rescues, and flat repairs through the years. Plus free maps...who else gives free maps these days? There are other member benefits that may have value to you, like credit monitoring, discounts, insurance, etc.

Service is provided by a network of independent contractors. You may find that the very same service that wanted to charge you $500 will be towing you for free.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 PM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DONALD J. TRUMP'S AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!
Posts: 6,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxfrank View Post
Driving old cars, I find that having the platinum level service is good insurance. I've had more than one long tow to recover a disabled car, as well as innumerable roadside jump starts, fuel rescues, and flat repairs through the years. Plus free maps...who else gives free maps these days? There are other member benefits that may have value to you, like credit monitoring, discounts, insurance, etc.

Service is provided by a network of independent contractors. You may find that the very same service that wanted to charge you $500 will be towing you for free.
It's not "free." You're paying a subscription fee annually, regardless whether you use it or not.

You will have to fight them to take it to your service facility of choice. You may not be successful. BTDT - several times!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DONALD J. TRUMP'S AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!
Posts: 6,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX76513 View Post
uhmm....Additional charges for Roadside Assistance services beyond the
“Classic” benefit level, such as towing beyond 3 miles
,
Yup.......the fine print in their favor. Getting them to tow over 10 miles in an urban setting is impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
It's not "free." You're paying a subscription fee annually, regardless whether you use it or not.

You will have to fight them to take it to your service facility of choice. You may not be successful. BTDT - several times!
bullshyt.
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 PM
tbomachines's Avatar
ಠ_ಠ
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
Yup.......the fine print in their favor. Getting them to tow over 10 miles in an urban setting is impossible.
bullshyt.

I've done both several times.
__________________
TC
Current stable:
- 2004 Mazda RALLYWANKEL
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
It's not "free." You're paying a subscription fee annually, regardless whether you use it or not.

You will have to fight them to take it to your service facility of choice. You may not be successful. BTDT - several times!
Just keep talking. In some sense Aaa is like insurance, which socializes the cost of towing. But their third party relationships offer benefits over and above membership costs. For example, my wife can save the annual membership cost with a single AAA discount book at Woodbury Common. A couple of hotel and travel discounts can do the same. There may be a lot of ways to get these deals, but with AAA, they make the towing and other club benefits free.

I’ve never had a problem with long tows in the NY metro area (that includes an epic recovery from State College,PA), and most of the time I just have it towed to my own driveway.The amount of free mileage depends on the member level you choose. And if you request a flatbed, you get a flatbed. So my experience has been uniformly excellent, but you may live in an alternative universe.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page