Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,048
Sears Flash Sale

With Sears going bankrupt soon, they have a flash sale ending today, some craftsman tools are 60% off.

https://www.sears.com/deals/center/hot-deals.html/dealGrid?event=Flash%20Sale&department=Tools
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-13-2018, 09:48 PM
vwnate1's Avatar
Diesel Dandy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny So. Cal. !
Posts: 4,391
Unhappy

Too bad they sold off the craftsman line and now it's all Chinese made......
__________________
-Nate
1982 240D creampuff 370,000 miles
1978 300CD back from the dead&1980 300CD ~ SOLD
1984 300CD KEEPER ! 440,XXX miles
1984 Euro 300TD Fully optioned SWMBO's
1974 350SLC 4 speed stickshift SOLD & missed
Krazy Kommie Ural Motos (3)
BMW Moto R60/6 Barn Find, 8,000miles
1959 VW #113 Deuxe Beetle, 36hp engine, stock
Junk, Rust, Arthritis, Crushed Spine,Broken Neck&Back
Memories, Peace Of Mind
facts & reality don't change because you can't handle them
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2018, 12:31 AM
Dudesky's Avatar
Non Compos Mentis
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mar a Lago Estate
Posts: 23,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
Too bad they sold off the craftsman line and now it's all Chinese made......

Aren't many made here anymore....can't compete.
__________________


However, Barr said he’s also working on issues that “relate to Hillary Clinton” and are concluding.

Sent from my Mothers basement using an old fashioned keyboard.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2018, 05:10 AM
vwnate1's Avatar
Diesel Dandy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny So. Cal. !
Posts: 4,391
Post B.S.

Yes, they can compete they just have to want to and accept reasonable ROE instead of peddling junk .

eddie lampert I hate you .
__________________
-Nate
1982 240D creampuff 370,000 miles
1978 300CD back from the dead&1980 300CD ~ SOLD
1984 300CD KEEPER ! 440,XXX miles
1984 Euro 300TD Fully optioned SWMBO's
1974 350SLC 4 speed stickshift SOLD & missed
Krazy Kommie Ural Motos (3)
BMW Moto R60/6 Barn Find, 8,000miles
1959 VW #113 Deuxe Beetle, 36hp engine, stock
Junk, Rust, Arthritis, Crushed Spine,Broken Neck&Back
Memories, Peace Of Mind
facts & reality don't change because you can't handle them
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix Arizona. Ex Durban R.S.A.
Posts: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
Yes, they can compete they just have to want to and accept reasonable ROE instead of peddling junk .

eddie lampert I hate you .
Sounds plausible in theory. False in practice. No yanks are going to pay prices for tools made in America. The situation is way to far gone for that.

- Peter.
__________________
81 240D stick. 316000 miles at purchase. 342000 now
2000 GMC Sonoma
Formerly...
2002 Kia Rio. Worst crap on four wheels
1981 240D 4spd stick. 389000 miles. Deceased Jan 08
1984 123 200
1979 116 280S
1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1971 108 280S
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,459
Truth is, this is no longer a nation of tool users. Ask your grandkids if the want to accompany you to the Sears tool sale, and see the reaction.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Mike Murrell's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxfrank View Post
Truth is, this is no longer a nation of tool users. Ask your grandkids if the want to accompany you to the Sears tool sale, and see the reaction.
Yep. Young people today have no interest in auto maint/repair or doing anything with their hands other than fiddling with the latest electronic gadget.
__________________
Mike Murrell
1991 300-SEL - Model 126
M103 - SOHC
"Fräulein"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murrell View Post
Yep. Young people today have no interest in auto maint/repair or doing anything with their hands other than fiddling with the latest electronic gadget.
I started later in life working on cars, now I take an engine apart, there is hope.
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:10 PM
vwnate1's Avatar
Diesel Dandy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny So. Cal. !
Posts: 4,391
Post

You're wrong but why deal with facts when you can parrot alt-right talking points, right ? .

-Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj67coll View Post
Sounds plausible in theory. False in practice. No yanks are going to pay prices for tools made in America. The situation is way to far gone for that.

- Peter.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:13 PM
vwnate1's Avatar
Diesel Dandy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny So. Cal. !
Posts: 4,391
Talking 'The Audacity Of Hope'

Yessir, indeed there is hope ! .

I try to interest my Foster boys but the electronic invasion makes it a second choice .

I'd hope that in Farming and other Blue Collar areas the draw of working with one's hands (mechanical things, carpentry, boats etc.) will remain and nebver quite go away .


-Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
I started later in life working on cars, now I take an engine apart, there is hope.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix Arizona. Ex Durban R.S.A.
Posts: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnate1 View Post
You're wrong but why deal with facts when you can parrot alt-right talking points, right ? .

-Nate
No. I'm correct. There are people who will pay high prices for tools made in Germany. These people are mostly in Germany. Which is why companies such as Knipex, Gedore, Hazet, Stahlwille, RGS etc still exist.

There are not an equivalent percentage of Americans who will pay high prices for tools made in the USA. Which is why everything here is cheap chinese ****.

- Peter.
__________________
81 240D stick. 316000 miles at purchase. 342000 now
2000 GMC Sonoma
Formerly...
2002 Kia Rio. Worst crap on four wheels
1981 240D 4spd stick. 389000 miles. Deceased Jan 08
1984 123 200
1979 116 280S
1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1971 108 280S
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:51 PM
vwnate1's Avatar
Diesel Dandy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny So. Cal. !
Posts: 4,391
I see where SEARS / KMART filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy yesterday .

A sad day indeed, once upon a time SEARS was the world's largest retailer .
__________________
-Nate
1982 240D creampuff 370,000 miles
1978 300CD back from the dead&1980 300CD ~ SOLD
1984 300CD KEEPER ! 440,XXX miles
1984 Euro 300TD Fully optioned SWMBO's
1974 350SLC 4 speed stickshift SOLD & missed
Krazy Kommie Ural Motos (3)
BMW Moto R60/6 Barn Find, 8,000miles
1959 VW #113 Deuxe Beetle, 36hp engine, stock
Junk, Rust, Arthritis, Crushed Spine,Broken Neck&Back
Memories, Peace Of Mind
facts & reality don't change because you can't handle them
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-21-2018, 11:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,734
Pretty much the end of an era in retailing in some ways. Sears in Canada went bankrupt some time ago. Sears in America was a much better run operation years ago than ours.

As for young people buying tools and equipment to repair todays cars. Even if they want to. The cost for what you need is high. With no sophisticated electronic test equipment. Many attempts will end up in failure.

Repairing things added self confidence to individuals as well I thought. In the later parts of the 1950s I could tackle most things with the contents of a carry along toolbox.

Today I have roll around toolboxes that would take a truck to carry. I have no ideal of what they would cost with their contents today. Still from time to time I still do not have the specific tool needed. That cannot be worked around.

Although by my buying of tools over the years. They have paid for themselves over and over again. Odd that in general you get so little money back if you resell them usually. I even still pick up the ocassional item at yard sales.

Last spring I stopped by a yard sale where they were disposing of all their tools. Most things where a dollar or two.

If you sat down today and added up the retail cost of tools needed to start servicing your cars and other things from scratch. I suspect you are talking real money.

I started with a simple half inch drive gray socket set of perhaps twenty pieces. A simple wrench set and misc screw drivers etc. You could do almost nothing on the more modern cars with only that assortment of tools today.

The early Asian tools where junk. This is not the case today with careful buying. The prices are rising in general as well. Or seem to be in Canada.

Some items like the titan brand are pretty decent at your American harbor freight. Oh they still sell junk as well so it is up to you to establish what is decent usable quality. .

We have the equivelant operation in Canada called Princess auto. They have seriously increased their prices in the last couple of years though.

Even if some of the younger guys have the inclination to work on even just their own cars. I can see a real financial hurdle could present itself today.

Also for some reason or other. My generation studied various areas of mechanical things in school. How can you repair things if they all look like a black box to you? If you do not understand or have any concept of how some things work. Your ability to diagnose and repair them is serious limited.

The electronic revolution had not even really started. When I did. Televison was quite common but that was about it. Solid state devices like basic transistors where uncommon as well. Basically non existant for all practical purposes.

Sites like ours and others help people a lot today.. At the same time when the users do not understand even the otto four stroke principal. They on occasion still are almost flying blind.

Also one has to allow that even just basic existence today is far more complex than it used to be. Plus the perspectives from an old guy like me are based on the awareness of another time. I was actually there.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The slums of Beverly Hills
Posts: 6,125
Good riddance.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-22-2018, 12:40 AM
vwnate1's Avatar
Diesel Dandy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny So. Cal. !
Posts: 4,391
@Barry ;

Let's hear it for the Geezers ! .

I too was there and am still spinning wrenches and learning.....


The tools Sears sold were a small part of their total sales .
__________________
-Nate
1982 240D creampuff 370,000 miles
1978 300CD back from the dead&1980 300CD ~ SOLD
1984 300CD KEEPER ! 440,XXX miles
1984 Euro 300TD Fully optioned SWMBO's
1974 350SLC 4 speed stickshift SOLD & missed
Krazy Kommie Ural Motos (3)
BMW Moto R60/6 Barn Find, 8,000miles
1959 VW #113 Deuxe Beetle, 36hp engine, stock
Junk, Rust, Arthritis, Crushed Spine,Broken Neck&Back
Memories, Peace Of Mind
facts & reality don't change because you can't handle them
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page