Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > General Discussion > Open Discussion > Open Discussion - Politics and Religion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-06-2015, 07:43 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
For some, life is like a box of chocolates...
Depends. I have yet to buy a box of chocolates where there was something I didn't like do Ma's idea might not be a good comparison
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Posting since Jan 2000
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Is anyone debating that the illegals, other than being illegal don't cause a strain of any sort and it is all rosy? Wonder why other countries have immigration policies if not to sort out the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

I can't speak for others but I certainly would not welcome someone who breaks into my house, helps themselves to my food, sleep on my bed, etc even if they do toss a few bucks for the inconvenience. If we had too many of them, the wear and tear on my house will be greater and more maintenance would be required plus I'd have to rebuild parts of the house to make room, etc, etc. Seems to be my understand as to why countries want to have control of who comes into their metaphorical house.
Very good analogy.

It really irritates me when I hear people using the terms "illegal immigration" and "immigration" interchangeably. Legal immigration is what built this country. Illegal immigration is one of the things tearing it down.
__________________
II Peter 3, 3-7
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:35 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Why oh why did America decided to switch from an open immigration policy to restrictive? Research the question and you'll see how idiotic American immigration policy has been since the 1920's. America is great because of it's people, regardless of where their ancestors came from.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:38 PM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Why oh why did America decided to switch from an open immigration policy to restrictive? Research the question and you'll see how idiotic American immigration policy has been since the 1920's. America is great because of it's people, regardless of where their ancestors came from.
This. We need reform of policy, but we also need to stop the uncontrolled flow of illegals
__________________
Сделать Америку великой Снова
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." Margaret Thatcher
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 PM
A Talent for Obfuscation
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the Deep State
Posts: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
Very good analogy.

It really irritates me when I hear people using the terms "illegal immigration" and "immigration" interchangeably. Legal immigration is what built this country. Illegal immigration is one of the things tearing it down.
Do you think that Larry would have shooed away the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria if he had the chance?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:41 PM
A Talent for Obfuscation
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the Deep State
Posts: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Why oh why did America decided to switch from an open immigration policy to restrictive? Research the question and you'll see how idiotic American immigration policy has been since the 1920's. America is great because of it's people, regardless of where their ancestors came from.
There are plenty of Us; we don't need anymore of Them...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:42 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjake View Post
This. We need reform of policy, but we also need to stop the uncontrolled flow of illegals
They weren't illegal for the first 100 years of this nation.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 PM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
They weren't illegal for the first 100 years of this nation.
That doesn't matter. If you use that argument. We need to turn it all over to the Indian nations. I am not against Mexican immigration as I had relatives who were, but it needs to be legal. Stopping the drug war and taking steps to weaken the cartels would help Mexico heal and work on it's social and financial shortcomings.
__________________
Сделать Америку великой Снова
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." Margaret Thatcher
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:55 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Again, I invite you to review the political forces that instituted America's immigration policy in the 1920's and think about how well reasoned it was. If you don't want to, that's fine. Lots of links in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_Nationality_Act_of_1965
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
Very good analogy.

It really irritates me when I hear people using the terms "illegal immigration" and "immigration" interchangeably. Legal immigration is what built this country. Illegal immigration is one of the things tearing it down.
Pretty simple reason. I mean, "drug dealer" sounds bad. "unlicensed pharmacist" not so bad. What would you rather be cited for? Theft or "inappropriate movement of items"?
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Why oh why did America decided to switch from an open immigration policy to restrictive? Research the question and you'll see how idiotic American immigration policy has been since the 1920's.

America is great because of it's people, regardless of where their ancestors came from.
That is another question and hardly related.

This has nothing to do with origins. But I think you knew that already. We are not talking about closing the doors. Just apply and we can decide. Would you like to post you address and leave your doors open to any and all or would you like us to ask permission before entry and give you the right to say "No" or "Yes"?
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
Do you think that Larry would have shooed away the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria if he had the chance?
When were they here again?
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:12 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
They weren't illegal for the first 100 years of this nation.
Neither were a lot of things but that was then, this is now. Toxic waste dumping wasn't illegal then either. Last year, the SCOTUS didn't rule gay marriage legal either. This year, it did. Today, comply or face the consequences. Back then, no real consequence.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 PM
MTI's Avatar
MTI MTI is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 10,626
Got it, immigrants are toxic waste. Okay.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Again, I invite you to review the political forces that instituted America's immigration policy in the 1920's and think about how well reasoned it was. If you don't want to, that's fine. Lots of links in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_Nationality_Act_of_1965
What's your point? I don't think certain laws are well reasoned either but I believe there is a process to debate a change. NAMBLA doesn't believe the laws are well reasoned either and they have, IIRC a shrink of some sort to say so. Doesn't mean squat. Go petition for a change if you disagree. That is your right.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page