Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 03:25 PM

DIY: W210 Front door panel removal

Here's the Reader's Digest version:

Subject car is 1999 W210

1. Remove door lock knob
2. Remove small Phillips screw and plastic cover
3. Pry out plastic "SRS" cover and remove large sheet metal screw behind
4. Pry out round plastic cover, remove large sheet metal screw behind
5. Pry out puddle light cover, disconnect light
6. Pull out door handle, remove plastic cover, remove large sheet metal screw behind
7. Pull lower section of door panel out, entire panel will lift UP after all clips at perimeter of door panel have been released
8. Disconnect door latch cable hook and plastic cable from guide, disconnect wire from control module at top right corner of door

Locking tabs around perimeter of panel:

My car has two different styles of tabs. The tab on the left incorporates a small gasket and is used at the base of the door. There are three of this type.

Last edited by uberwgn; 11-12-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:33 PM

Nice write-up. I don't see anything amiss, other than the fact that you really have to pull up pretty hard to get the panel to unclip from the window channel. A short prybar helps to get it started.

On each panel I pulled off of my car (all but the right front), I broke the glue bond holding the black plastic clip holder to the fiberboard panel. That seems to be a weak point on these, at least on my car. Yours must have been built on a better day.

Since the hot-melt glue left a nice impression of the correct location, I mixed up some epoxy and let it cure with weight on the clip holders.

My door panels also lack the insulating batting. I don't know if that's because it's a '96, or because they've been removed in the past.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I don't see anything amiss, other than the fact that you really have to pull up pretty hard to get the panel to unclip from the window channel.

Matt, thanks for commenting. My panel comes off pretty easily...several clips are missing and I need to order some of each style.

The driver's door on this car is a bit of a mess internally. Somebody backed into it a few years ago and the dealer performing the repair work was piggy about the repair, if I may. The insulation pad is missing from the door cavity and the door sounds like a tin can when closed. On top of that, my driver's window "popped" yesterday and I had to remove the panel a 2nd time. (These pictures were taken a few weeks ago).

Here's yesterday's mess:

I re-attached the mechanism using three short screws inserted from the backside. I can't decide if I am going to declare this a "permanent" fix. I cannot believe how shoddy the assembly is. This mechanism may have been riveted in place previously during another repair attempt. Much to my suprise, the window functions flawlessly apart from the pinch protection which I can't seem to reset.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:46 PM

uberwgn

Indeed a very nice write-up.
I'm sure ( as you suggested ) the window regulator mechanism was originally riveted in.
There are not many people around with a large enough rivet gun to re-install a replacement the same way.
To activate, or reset the pinch-protection, did you:
1. Roll tha window down & hold for 2-3 seconds,
2. Roll the window up & hold for 2-3 seconds.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:49 PM

nice write up. will PDF and save that for my notes. here is video clip of the
same panel removal i pulled out of the MB info disk
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 AM

Raymond, thanks for posting the video link...any other videos we could all benefit from?

I note that his door panel is also missing the sound insulation. I wonder if only dieselers were upgraded to have the insulation panel

Manny, thanks for the note on the reset - - I'll check that method.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:18 PM

uberwgn

Thanks for the excellent write-up and pictures.
Does the battery have to be disconnected for this job? I'm terrified of air bags popping.

Also, does anyone have a source for the heavy grease that is usually on the moving parts in the door? I've been using wheel bearing grease which seems about ten times lighter.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM View Post
uberwgn

Thanks for the excellent write-up and pictures.
Does the battery have to be disconnected for this job? I'm terrified of air bags popping.
You don't need to disconnect or touch the air bag to remove the panel, or for most work you'll be doing inside.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post
Raymond, thanks for posting the video link...any other videos we could all benefit from? <......>
at least 400mb worth....uhmmm.....

brake assist, fuel injection, engine block, intake manifold, 4matic, smartkey/centrla locking system, AC, various black box sensors, brakes, filters, HVAC system, headlights, hall effect CPS, body crumple zones, valve train, axle, garage door opener, trim removal, great sunroof remove, complete dash remove, console remove, mirror cover remove,
Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 AM

http://w210.pietrzyk.net/Default.htm

strongly recommend that you download as many videos as you can while this site is up. burn to disc for future ref.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Door Panel Removal

Thank you for your excellent photos and content in regard to the door panel removal...kept me from going to the dealer, thanks again.
Norm K.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:17 PM
<- Ryuko of Kill La Kill

I'm using this to pull the panel and fix my seat switch right now! Thanks!

Benz Fleet:
1968 UNIMOG 404.114
1998 E300
2008 E63

Non-Benz Fleet:
1992 Aerostar
1993 MR2
2000 F250
Old 10-12-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the tutorial. I found a video on Youtube that someone made explaining how to do this but i could barely see what he was doing.