Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Lurker.

1985 300DT: changed oil, upset vacuum connection

I did my first oil change on my own for this car, and I think I did the steps as suggested by various people on this forum, using dieselgiant as my main guide. While taking off the canister cover, I tried to make doubly extra careful not to disturb any of the connections, especially on the driver's side of the canister.

But alas, while struggling to get it off, one of them did disconnect. Right next to the driver's side bolt there are three wires bundled together, a red one, a green one, and one that connects to a whitish plastic thing. It was the latter one that disconnected, but I put it back together immediately.

I hoped everything would be fine.

Then after finishing the oil change I went out for a test drive, and everything felt smooth, the engine, the shifting, the starting, the door locks...

I stopped the car to clear the garage, and started it up again to park it inside, and for some reason, the shifting was harder than it had ever been. Going from park to reverse, and from reverse to drive-- both were so hard the car lurched backward (or forward).

Could this be because of the problem with disconnection I had while changing oil? I checked and checked and nothing else looks like it came loose. Is there something I forgot to do?

Edit: Also, when I shut the car off, key at position 1 (or is it 0? whatever the lowest position is), I hear a humming in the rear of the car that goes on for several seconds. It eventually stops. Is this a related problem?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Certified Thread Highjack

Humming equals radio antenna retracting.
1983 300D Turbo 260,000 Miles
1984 300D Turbo 345,000 Miles (sons car)
OBK #31
1998 Ford Expedition 5.4l (fer Haulin'!) 145,000
1973 19' SeaRay with 115 Mercury TOWER OF POWER!
Club Car Golf Cart 36V
Ex toys:
1967 Mustang 289 (First Car)
Fiat 124TC
1975 Honda CVCC
1980 Audi 5000 Turbo
Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Lurker.

TMAllison said:
Quote:
Sounds like you may have knocked off more than one vacuum line. Check around the canister filter housing again and see if you can find it. Shift quailty is vacumm controled.
So, if I find this line, I can simply connect it back together without doing anything else?

I looked and looked and still found nothing else.

I'm aware of these vacuum diagrams, but I don't quite understand them. I'm a very visual person, and these diagrams don't really match up with what I see when I look at my car.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Lurker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Benz View Post
Humming equals radio antenna retracting.
Actually, the radio antenna only works manually now (the PO is a Bosch-certified technician and decided it wasn't worth the trouble to keep it automatically controlled). Could that still be the cause of the humming? I never heard it prior to tonight.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 AM

The last two oil changes that I have done I wound up pulling the vacuum line off the transmission modulator. You may want to check that connection. Drivers side of the transmission, green plastic gizmo with a vacuum line going to it.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Lurker.

Follow-up

I wanted to finalize this thread with two things:
After reconnecting the vacuum connections that came loose, I felt some jerkiness in the transmission. But this was temporary. Somehow it righted itself after driving around a few times. I assume there is no leak anymore.

The humming I was hearing was the antenna. I just had to turn the switch off.