Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM

CIS K Warm-Up Regulator

UnwiredTools Product Announcement:

The UTCIS-V replaces the Bosch Warm-Up Regulator in your Mercedes vehicle. If you have a difficult time starting your car hot or cold, then you may need a new Warm-Up Regulator. A replacement WUR may be very expensive or not available at all. A core-based rebuild would get you back on the road but all WURs wear out eventually and they're difficult to adjust and impossible to adjust precisely. The WUR controls your car's power and fuel economy. If you have to replace it anyway, why not upgrade it?

Finally, there's a modern digital control replacement/upgrade for Bosch CIS K-Jetronic fuel injection. The UTCIS-V replaces the WUR but it does much more. The UTCIS-V is made from precision machined aircraft aluminum which bolts into the stock location of the WUR. A digital controller measures the control pressure and the manifold air pressure and regulates the system. The control pressure isn't just set, it's regulated! Best of all, this digital controller can be programmed with engine control maps to fine tune your power and economy, just like "re-flashing" a new car. The UT Engine Management Software allows you to tune your engine with the click of a mouse. Engine control maps that you edit or create can be shared with others. The UTCIS gives you the benefits of programmable EFI at a tiny fraction of the cost.

You can order this product from Phil.

Frank
UnwiredTools, LLC.

Last edited by whunter; 09-07-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Thumbs up Have purchased but not yet installed

I ordered it for my 1977 280SE. The car still starts OK cold, but kind of growls when hot. Also acceleration/power varies with engine temperature. I AM looking for anyone who has put in in themselves and used the software. The "V" warmup regulator model, with the vacuum hookup, is the one I have. Also, I bought a serial to USB adapter, so my Portable PC can work the software on the car.
Attached Thumbnails
CIS K Warm-Up Regulator-engine.jpg  
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM

Guess "warm up regulator" must be a new name for some other part, as this phrase is NOT used in Mercedes manuals.

What are you talking about, that is?
Two BMW motorcycles
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 AM

Warm up compensator?

http://handbook.w116.org/Engine%5C107%5CM117_45%5C073-125.pdf

Had a:
1973 220 (gas)
1980 300SD
1992 400E
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Senor User

Would this have any effect on a car that is stalling out frequently when cold?

OBK #55

1998 Lincoln Continental - Sold
Max 1984 300TD 285,000 miles - Sold
The Dee8gonator 1987 560SEC 196,000 miles - Sold
Orgasmatron - 2006 CLS500 90,000 miles
2002 C320 Wagon 122,000 miles
2016 AMG GTS 12,000 miles
Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Warm Up Regulator, WUR, Warm Up Compensator, etc.

These terms are referring to the same component in the Bosch CIS K-jetronic system. This same basic part is used in not only Mercedes applications but also Porsche, Ferrari, Audio, VW and others. For the sake of brevity, I'll call it simply WUR for this post.

Before I go any further, you should know I am part of UnwiredTools, the VENDOR who sells the digital Warm-Up Regulator Replacement/Upgrade product.

While the WUR, both OEM and the UTCIS, specifically address the function of control pressure management during the warm up cycle of the engine, it also influences the control pressure when the engine has warmed-up.

The lower the control pressure, the richer the fuel mixture. All other things being equal, more fuel will trend toward more power and lower economy. If you raise the control pressure, you lean out the mixture. Less fuel trends toward less power and better economy. The WUR is one of the "knobs and dials" we have to manipulate the economy/power characteristic of a given CIS K equipped engine.

The OEM WUR has diaphragms and bi-metallic metal strips internally for a mechanical interface to the control pressure setting. Mercedes (and other) applications also include a port for sensing Manifold Air Pressure for "full throttle enrichment". To make adjustments to the Control Pressure you require a hammer, a punch and a CIS gauge set.

The product being announced in this thread, the UTCIS-V, is designed to replace all Mercedes OEM WUR parts numbers. The product installs in place of the OEM WUR and includes a small, digital controller box which interfaces with your PC. With the Engine Management software (free), the warm-up control pressure curve and the "run" control pressure can be specified by you, or your technician, as appropriate. The Warm-Up cycle is a series of values over time and temperature. For example, the control pressure should be different at 0 degrees C than at 25 degrees C - the control pressure is set lower when starting cold to provide more fuel, etc. When the engine is warm, there is a range of values for Control Pressure to be set; you specify the desired control pressure relative to Manifold Air Pressure.

For more info on how this operates, you are invited to look at the materials on our website, including an installation manual and a document on how to use the UTCIS Engine Management software.

If there is interest in a more public discussion of how the product works here on the forum, that would be great, but I don't want to over-step the bounds of the use of this forum, so we will not do so without specific invitation and blessing from the moderator(s). However, if you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Thanks to Mercedesshop for the opportunity to make this announcement.

Frank
UnwiredTools, LLC
http://unwiredtools.com/utcis.asp
Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnj View Post
With the Engine Management software (free), the warm-up control pressure curve and the "run" control pressure can be specified by you, or your technician, as appropriate.
I saw this, and I've been to your website, and there's one thing that's kind of a show stopper for me until I get more information. Maybe you could answer it here?

Do you have "default" profiles that can be loaded and then tweaked? I have a CO meter, but I'm not comfortable starting from scratch. I'm not an engine tuner, and I don't particularly want to be.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 AM

Default Engine Management Maps

Great question. Yes, we have some sample MAPS and they will be posted within the next few days on our site. We also have a mechanism under way for "sharing" Engine Maps where you can save a specific map from your computer to our webstie in order to share it with others. Similarly, you can browse the maps available on our site. Both the sharing and the browsing/downloading will take place from directly within our software. We're working out some of the kinks in that at present and this feature will be enabled in an upcoming release of the software.

Beyond that, the files may also be shared between users via email or posting a file to the forum, etc. The Engine Management map itself is just a file that you can easily save to your computer. Our vision is that folks will have an Engine Management Map that works great for their car and they will share it with others on the forum. There are a couple of informational fields in the Engine Map which stay with the Map, even as programmed into the part. In this way you can see who made the map and what their comments were - ie, modified Control Pressure to 3.7 bar to get better economy at such and such Manifold Air Pressure, etc.

I should also point out that the product comes equipped with a default map already programmed in, so you can easily extract it to your computer and modify it.

I will make a post here when the maps are available on our website for download.

Thanks for the question! Hope that helps.

Regards

Frank
UnwiredTools, LLC
http://unwiredtools.com
Old 03-30-2008, 02:21 PM

After I read the manual on this excellent product, it does the same thing as the EHA valve on the W126 models.

Warren

Currently 1965 220Sb, 2002 FORD Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Had 1965 220SEb, 1967 230S, 280SE 4.5, 300SE (W126), 420SEL

ENTER > = (HP RPN)

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 PM

EHA Valve

Sort of, The EHA valve is indeed a variable valve which sets the control pressure. The UTCIS has a pressure sensor to measure the control pressure, making the control pressure a regulated loop. This is a first for CIS and it adds a lot of responsiveness, precision and control to CIS.

The EHA valve uses a current from the ECU to control flow in the EHA. The current vs. flow of the EHA changes over time. The EHA can be adjusted but it will fail eventually. The UTCIS uses a stepper motor driven needle valve which does not shift over time.

We've had a lot of requests for a similar upgrade to CIS-KE. We're reviewing this closely and we welcome your input.

Adding an input for an O2 sensor is a good idea and we're working on it. An O2 sensor is a very good performance tuning and diagnostic tool.
www.unwiredtools.com

1982 380SLC
1994 E320TE
1998 E300DT
Old 05-07-2008, 02:30 AM

Interesting

Yep, got a WUR...

83 500 SEC Euro 198K
Old 05-08-2008, 03:16 PM

Does anyone have any before and after mileage results? I like the idea of aftermarket upgrades but if they result in the same fuel performance then what's the point?

-Troy
- - - '79 Datsun 280zx with '82 turbo motor
- - - Currently looking for a clean 190e with less than 160k miles.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troylatif View Post
Does anyone have any before and after mileage results? I like the idea of aftermarket upgrades but if they result in the same fuel performance then what's the point?

-Troy
The point is that this is a part that is expensive new, if you can even find it. Prior to this work, you were pretty much reduced to using a junkyard part if yours failed.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 AM

I Sort of like the idea of something like to this replace the EHA on KE Jet.

Am I right in thinking it reduces the control pressure such that the air plate flap will move more easily for a given amount of fuel. Which equals better control of mixture.
?

The parts cost would be improved I'm sure, however would it function superior to the standard (correctly working) EHA? From my guess, theoretically the EHA should do this job decently because it has a potentiometer air flow sensor which feeds into its operation. But if the air flow sensor is moving about and its position being affected by the EHA itself.... it gets very complicated!!
http://www.maylane.demon.co.uk/190esmall.jpghttp://www.maylane.demon.co.uk/190esmall2.jpg
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 AM

I am having a problem,with a 110 engine,bought the car it never ran when i bought it,and has set for years.I have it runing but no exceleration,only idell .It has an ox sensor,air flow sensor,single ex, euro intake.I think my w.u.r. is bad,i have read there are 3 different pres. i have 4 used ones. How do i know if the one that on car is right. do you match# on fuel distributor's with # on w.u.r. To make sure all have same pres.