Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Brandon314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex
Nice mod! Too bad it won't work on the TD

I am planning on adding an LED third brake light however, that TD just has too invisible of a rear...
This is true. Its important for good stop lights on a wagon becuse in the Mercedes case, the lights are on the outer extreme and down realitively low in relation to the level of the road. A third brake light in the back window would be perfect for viewing from behind. The only tricky part is making it look right

Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon314159
So you have a setup where the fog light spots are on with the tail lights rather than the brake lights?

If so, that would be a "tail light mod" not a "brake light mod"
I gave this some serious thought when I did the BLM but wasn't sure about the capabalities of wiring to hold extra amperage. I checked a few weeks later and determined that it would cause no problems with the wiring and was looking into getting one of the inside mount 3rd brake light.

I would say this is really the best way to do it on a 123 class for sure. Nice thing about it is either way you do this mod it should greatly improve your visibility and reduce accidents, however that excludes people talking on cell phones while they drive. Most of those people would not see a freight train in front of them till it's to late for them to stop.

'13 Chrysler 200 Touring Candy Red. Grandma's ride.

Age and cunning will always over come youth and vigor.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
So you have a setup where the fog light spots are on with the tail lights rather than the brake lights?

If so, that would be a "tail light mod" not a "brake light mod"
Actually its both. He moved the running lights from their normal position to the inside and put brake lights in the original running light spot.

Normal
BL LB

OldNavy
BLB BLB

DevilDogDoc
BBL LBB

I actually thought about doing that myself.

I'm not a certified mechanic, but I did stay at a HolidayInn Express last night.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:34 AM

I did this mod and it works great! Too easy and effective to not do it. Thanks to Oldnavy for the idea and JamesStein for the extra sockets! I did BLB BLB

RT
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K
Old 01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Brandon314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStein
Actually its both. He moved the running lights from their normal position to the inside and put brake lights in the original running light spot.

Normal
BL LB

OldNavy
BLB BLB

DevilDogDoc
BBL LBB

I actually thought about doing that myself.

Nice diagram
I gotcha how he did it...actaullly not that bad of an idea....
Hm.
btw if anyone needs some w126 sockets for the bar in the light housing, I have a few extras. You will need these to hold the light bulbs in as they come factory with merely holes, no sockets.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Benötigt Mehr Druck!

Well I got about half the way to doing this mod, I ran a relay just to make sure it wouldn't hurt the cruise. I figured I'd add the two brakelights in the factory fog position and probably a third brake light in the center of the vehicle once I found one that'd fit well with the window angle. I just have to find the bulb holders and third brake light assembly.
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet ~58k Sold
2005 Avalanche 4x4 ~66k
Old 01-20-2005, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnBenz
Well I got about half the way to doing this mod, I ran a relay just to make sure it wouldn't hurt the cruise. I figured I'd add the two brakelights in the factory fog position and probably a third brake light in the center of the vehicle once I found one that'd fit well with the window angle. I just have to find the bulb holders and third brake light assembly.
I've had this mod (two extra bulbs) and the chevy LED third brake light for six months now with NO relay and no problem with a perfectly operating cruise.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol
Old 01-20-2005, 02:03 AM

Quote:
This is true. Its important for good stop lights on a wagon becuse in the Mercedes case, the lights are on the outer extreme and down realitively low in relation to the level of the road. A third brake light in the back window would be perfect for viewing from behind. The only tricky part is making it look right
I put an LED third brake light on my wagon a couple of months ago - outside, on top of the rear hatch, SUV-style. Looks fine (to me at least). I wanted it as high as possible since a lot of cars on the roads nowadays have bumpers nearly at that level . I'll try to get some pics tomorrow...
Old 01-20-2005, 02:52 AM
Benötigt Mehr Druck!

Good, so if I cheat on one of them it shouldn't be a problem. I already have the relay wired up and ready to go so no reason to take it out. Thanks for your input.
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet ~58k Sold
2005 Avalanche 4x4 ~66k
Old 01-20-2005, 04:27 AM
Brandon314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Wagon
I put an LED third brake light on my wagon a couple of months ago - outside, on top of the rear hatch, SUV-style. Looks fine (to me at least). I wanted it as high as possible since a lot of cars on the roads nowadays have bumpers nearly at that level . I'll try to get some pics tomorrow...
Yes pictures
Old 01-20-2005, 09:54 AM
"The Wizard of Oz"

Thanks to Old NAvy, and all other posters, for this marvellous Safety innovation.
In our '82 and '84 300Ds, the drivers side lampholder bar is fitted with the reasr fog lamp socket, so all that was necessary, was to add a socket to the same position on the passenger side lampholder bar and wire each in parallel with the brake lights.
Most Illuminating when the brake pedal is depressed.
Elizabeth '81 280E, sporting a '79 300D engine.
Lucille '87 W124 300D non-turbo 6 cylinder OM603, Pearl Grey with light grey interior

Various parts cars including 280E, 230C & 300D in various states of disassembly.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Here's Your Sign.......

My turn to come back to this thread................

OK - Does anyone know if there is a 'Dual Filament(sp)' socket available for the taillights assembly in a 1987 W126 300SDL?????????

Never wanting to just follow the crowd - Although this is a great crowd to follow - I was thinking about having the original 'Fog' locations also have the running lights along with the brake lights.

Just a thought.........

Stephen

"We cannot change the wind - But we can adjust our sails"
Old 01-27-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooooth
My turn to come back to this thread................

OK - Does anyone know if there is a 'Dual Filament(sp)' socket available for the taillights assembly in a 1987 W126 300SDL?????????

Never wanting to just follow the crowd - Although this is a great crowd to follow - I was thinking about having the original 'Fog' locations also have the running lights along with the brake lights.

Just a thought.........

Stephen
My guess is if you do it, you will have to do a custom install. I had the same thought and problem with my old 240D, then I desided it might be easier to try an modify a third eye brake light for that purpose. However I never got around to that due to selling the car.

'13 Chrysler 200 Touring Candy Red. Grandma's ride.

Age and cunning will always over come youth and vigor.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Now Y2K Compliant

Anyone ever put one of these on their W123s?

It's for a W126, but the website claims it fits most sedans.
-Joe

Sooner or later every car falls apart, ours does it later!
-German Narrator in a MB Promotion Film about the then brand new W123.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Biodiesel Fiend

Just did the brake light modification. Simple, yet effective. I had the wife press the brake for me at night, and the dual lights really got my attention! If anyone is able to find sockets for dual filament bulbs, that extra location would be great to add the foglight, as well as dual brake lights.

'89 Toyota 4x4, needs 2L-T
'78 280Z with L28ET - 12.86@110
Oil Burner Kartel #35

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oD/bioclip.jpg