Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bloomfield, CT
Posts: 42
'87 300TD Rear Suspension

After wanting an older diesel wagon forever, I finally found one I could afford (retired, 3 kids in school). I have finally sorted all my vacuum problems, got the climate control working again, and after my first drive, came to the realization that the SLS is not functioning. After adding fuid, I found it, almost as quick, in a nice round puddle beneath the right rear, just fwd of the tire. BACK on the Jackstands again, to find a rotted line (pressure line) just where it mounts in it's rubber 'clamp', the last one before the valve. I actually had an 11mm tubing wrench, but the nut is really frozen into the valve.
The struts, themselves, look pretty good, no evidence of leaks, but the valve looks pretty tatty, and all the steel lines, to the strut hoses, and to the accumulators are really rusted. I figure the easiest thing would be to go ahead and replace the contol valve and accumulators, but I can't find the steel lines listed anywhere. Should I assume these will have to come from a MB dealer? Aprt from the one bad spot of the pressure line, the two coming from the pump, and returning to the reservoir look good, so I guess I can just cut them and put in some flared couplings. What size is this tubing?
As I have nearly run out of spending money, are there any spring/shock conversions available, as an option ?
Thanks, in advance for any help.

Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Posts: 1,946
The "size" is metric.

Get parts at dealer.
Kent Christensen
'07 GL320CDI, '06 SLK350
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,084
Fix it rather than modifying, especially on the wagon. MB has not changed the concept since the early eighties, and probably before that!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bloomfield, CT
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
The "size" is metric.

Get parts at dealer.
I assumed it was metric, but was hoping you knew the size as I am going to have to make up two "patch" pieces.
Apart from the bad spots on each, the rest of both of them are as new, and since they are so long, figured it would be easier to just put in a splice, rather than run the whole line from engine compartment to the level control valve.

Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page