PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Tech Help (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/)
-   -   94 C280 Center Console Cupholder (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/21062-94-c280-center-console-cupholder.html)

christianpaul 07-23-2001 08:56 AM

Recently purchased 94 C280. Car is great except for some gunk in housing for center console "flip-out" cup holder. Maybe I'm perfectionist but I'm dying to clean that stuff out. How do I remove that spring-loaded cupholder assembly so I can adequately clean. I'm hoping I will not have to remove console - I't not THAT dirty...

Thanks for the help.

vince 07-23-2001 09:52 AM

The rear section of the console must be removed. The screws that hold the cupholder in place are accessed from the underside.

christianpaul 07-23-2001 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by vince
The rear section of the console must be removed. The screws that hold the cupholder in place are accessed from the underside.
Thanks - Now for the question you know is coming - how do I remove rear of console? I don't remember seeing any readily accessible screws, etc...I would feel comfortable doing, just not sure where to start - Thanks for the reply.

David C Klasse 07-23-2001 08:51 PM

Your 94 C280 did not originally come with cupholders... someone added the cupholders that came with a small retrofit kit. Open the covering of the cupholders, and then look at the cupholders... on the rear... towards the back of the car, of the center console (in the cupholder compartment), you should see 2 screws, unscrew them and a small plastic peice along with the cupholder assembly should come out. You can try and clean it from there... but remember it needs grease if you get it wet! GOod luck and I hop you can make sense of this.

christianpaul 07-24-2001 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by David C Klasse
Your 94 C280 did not originally come with cupholders... someone added the cupholders that came with a small retrofit kit. Open the covering of the cupholders, and then look at the cupholders... on the rear... towards the back of the car, of the center console (in the cupholder compartment), you should see 2 screws, unscrew them and a small plastic peice along with the cupholder assembly should come out. You can try and clean it from there... but remember it needs grease if you get it wet! GOod luck and I hop you can make sense of this.
It makes sense - Thanks for the replies!

vince 07-24-2001 09:56 AM

Our '95 C280 did not come with a cupholder, just a bin under the wood cover. I purchased an OEM cupholder from the dealer and it had to be installed from the bottom. As I remember the process to remove the console:
1) Lift the plastic trim around the shift lever - it is held in place by three tabs.
2) Lift and remove the wood trim around the shift lever and remove the plugs from the switches. Remove two screws holding the console (just aft of the shifter).
3) Remove the cubby under the ash tray and remove two screws that lock the rear and front sections of the console together (at the angled seam).
4) Remove two screws from the bottom compartment of the arm rest/console compartment.
5) Slide the front of the console upward along the angled seam - it will move a few millimeters and the dovetail joint will release.
You can now swing the console up at a 90 degree angle to the tunnel and work on it, or you can remove it by fishing out the telephone wiring from the bottom of the rear compartment (if you have the wiring).

David C Klasse 07-24-2001 04:38 PM

Hmmm, your install seems like it was a lot more involved then it had to be. All it requires is removal of the storage bin, and then putting the cupholders, and screwing the small plastic peice mounted to the cupholders in.

christianpaul 07-24-2001 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by David C Klasse
Hmmm, your install seems like it was a lot more involved then it had to be. All it requires is removal of the storage bin, and then putting the cupholders, and screwing the small plastic peice mounted to the cupholders in.
Thanks to all the replies - removal of 2 screws is soemthing I can handle - apparently previous owner was big fan of sodas and potato chips...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website