Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
89 Mercedes 300e,190 000k
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: windsor, ontario, canada
Posts: 74
300E power seat help

hello, i have a 1989 mercedes 300e (w124) and the driver seat has a function that doesnt work. The function that raises and lowers the back part of the seat you sit on. I can hear the motor turning when i press the button however it doesnt raise/lower the seat, please help thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 AM
J.HIDALGO's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,785
If you can hear the motor...

Something is disengaged in the seat. The only way to find out is by removing the seat and see.
__________________
J.H.
'86 300E
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2009, 03:02 PM
89 Mercedes 300e,190 000k
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: windsor, ontario, canada
Posts: 74
i think its the gear spinning around in the motor, the gear shaft is squared and over time it becomes round so im guessing thats what im hearing, how to you take out the shaft, is it press fitted or do i have to unscrew the hex bolts?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Unofficial wormcan opener
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, MA
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbistany View Post
i think its the gear spinning around in the motor, the gear shaft is squared and over time it becomes round so im guessing thats what im hearing, how to you take out the shaft, is it press fitted or do i have to unscrew the hex bolts?
I had the same issue. The worm gear on the cable had come out of the gears in the box. I took it apart and put it back in and put some grease on it. It has worked now for over a year. I'll see if I can find a picture. You will need to remove the seat or at least take the seat cover off.

Yes you need to unscrew the hex bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
300E power seat help-eret-larris-porch-damage-027.jpg  
__________________
1987 300TD 309, xxx 2.8.2014 10,000 mile OCI


Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss

Last edited by Bio300TDTdriver; 05-01-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: add picture
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2009, 12:59 AM
89 Mercedes 300e,190 000k
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: windsor, ontario, canada
Posts: 74
Sounds good although ran into a problem

Wow thanks a lot for that reply, and perfect pic as well. But i got myself a pretty annoying problem. I managed to get the first 2 bolts out no problem. Then the back left one was pretty rusted but came out. BUT the back right one is so rusted that it striped, and i don't mean the head. It just keeps spinning around. I tried prying the bolt and turning at the same time and no go. I tried for about a good hour. I'm limited to equipment so how do i go about taking this bolt out, any suggestions from anyone please
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Unofficial wormcan opener
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, MA
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbistany View Post
Wow thanks a lot for that reply, and perfect pic as well. But i got myself a pretty annoying problem. I managed to get the first 2 bolts out no problem. Then the back left one was pretty rusted but came out. BUT the back right one is so rusted that it striped, and i don't mean the head. It just keeps spinning around. I tried prying the bolt and turning at the same time and no go. I tried for about a good hour. I'm limited to equipment so how do i go about taking this bolt out, any suggestions from anyone please
Can you pry it out by using the cover? If not can you cut the head off with a dremel? If it spins it may just pull out.

I hate rust!
__________________
1987 300TD 309, xxx 2.8.2014 10,000 mile OCI


Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 PM
89 Mercedes 300e,190 000k
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: windsor, ontario, canada
Posts: 74
alright ill give it another shot, but im gonna ask my questions now so ill know what to do. The motor thats spinning but not working is for the front height adjustment, right now its as low as it can go so i have no room to work under there. How many bolts are there to take the seat off the rails and what position should the seat be in to make things easier based on your experience. Also once i got the rail in front of me, i gotta take the two hex bolts out from the motor side but what about the other side of the gear shaft, is that one pressed in? Or is there bolts too, because the way the seat sits now i cant see it. And finally how much do the gear shafts run in price?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2009, 02:29 PM
89 Mercedes 300e,190 000k
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: windsor, ontario, canada
Posts: 74
oh my mistake, i reread your post and from what i understand you fixed your problem without replacing anything, hopefully i will be able to do the same
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Unofficial wormcan opener
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, MA
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbistany View Post
alright ill give it another shot, but im gonna ask my questions now so ill know what to do. The motor thats spinning but not working is for the front height adjustment, right now its as low as it can go so i have no room to work under there. How many bolts are there to take the seat off the rails and what position should the seat be in to make things easier based on your experience. Also once i got the rail in front of me, i gotta take the two hex bolts out from the motor side but what about the other side of the gear shaft, is that one pressed in? Or is there bolts too, because the way the seat sits now i cant see it. And finally how much do the gear shafts run in price?
I believe there are 5 bolts in all. 4 in the seat base, 2 front and 2 rear and the bolt hold the black track in the center of the car. Power the seat all the way forward and remove the back bolts. Then power it all the way back and remove the front bolts. Then unplug the power to the seat. In my wagon I take the back seat base out and remove the front seat from the back. The sedan may or may not work like that.

I fixed mine by opening the small box that the cable goes into, not the end that is in the motor. You may or may not have the same issue. I thought I took pictures of the inside workings, but I can't seem to find them.
__________________
1987 300TD 309, xxx 2.8.2014 10,000 mile OCI


Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page