Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 119
Brakes - occasionally not there

The 90 300D (250D Turbo) has begun to develop a brake issue. 99% of the time the brakes work fine, the other 1% you hit the brake pedal and it starts to go to the floor and the car does not slow forcing a couple panic 'pumps'. Ideas? I need to have this fixed as soon ad possible for safety's sake. Thanks.

__________________
Meek

1977 Volkswagen Golf GTi (sold)
1981 Audi 5000S Turbo (sold)
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit LS 145k (sold)
1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTi 150k (sold)
1984 Saab 900 150k (sold)
1984 Volkswagen Scirocco GTX 1.8T 20V
1985 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.0 160k(sold)
1986 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16 188k (sold)
1988 Volkswagen Fox 161K (sold)
1990 BMW 525td (Sold)
1990 Mercedes Benz 300D 100k
1994 Saab 900 SE Turbo 55k (sold)
1996 Volvo 855R 140K
2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 16k (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM
carnut's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stockton California
Posts: 637
Most likely the master cylinder is by passing fluid internally. My vote is to replace the master cylinder.
__________________
81 300CD (sold) 1972 280 SEL 4.5 (sold) 1966 250 S 4 spd (sold) 1974 450 SL (sold) 86 BMW 325ES (sold), 1973 280C (sold) 1988 300 SE.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,947
Since that is a diesel, you should probably post and search on the diesel forum. Diesel's don't make any vacuum so they have a vacuum pump I think. That could be the problem. They can probably answer better on the diesel forum.
__________________
1998 C230 330,000 miles (currently dead of second failed EIS, yours will fail too, turning you into the dealer's personal human cash machine)
1988 F150 144,000 miles (leaks all the colors of the rainbow)
Previous stars: 1981 Brava 210,000 miles, 1978 128 150,000 miles, 1977 B200 Van 175,000 miles, 1972 Vega (great, if rusty, car), 1972 Celica, 1986.5 Supra
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
X 2

For Carnut's MC suggestion.

Also, unless replaced previously,your Brake Hoses MAY be approaching their useful Safe End-of-Lifespan.
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 400
Had this problem one. One of my calipers was frozen, causing a drag on the brakes and heating the fluid to boiling. Once the brake fluid boils, you have no brakes.

Possible causes:
  1. Frozen caliper - drag causes brake fluid to heat and boil
  2. Old brake hoses with blocked passages - will prevent oil from returning, which in turn will casue a drag on the brakes and eventually cause the fluild to boil

Check each caliper for frozen pistons and replace all rubber brake hoses.

Also, brake fluid should be replaced every two years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and with time its boiling point drops. Also, the water in the fluid promotes corrosion/rust which will tend to freeze the piston in place. New brake fluid's boiling point is higher and you have a slightly higher margin of safety in case of a dragging brake.
__________________
1986 300E (3/2002) Rear ended and totaled (10/2009)
2000 Xterra (5/2000)
1992 400E (11/2009) -Sold
1986 300E (12/2009) - Sold
2004 E500 Wagon (6/2013) - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 27
first thoughts is master cylinder.. had a bad MC on a Isuzu Trooper once>> had to pump like a mofo to get it stopped ....

if it is a dragging caliper - you can tell by ascertaining how well the car coasts - put it in neutral coming up to a light - is there any drag? binding? bad noise?

__________________
Kim Langley
97 C-230
80 911 SC
73 2002Tii
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page