Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
1997 E320 Thermostat cover

I just replaced the thermostat on my 97 E320, and in doing the repair I cracked the thermostat housing cover.

I was about to order a replacement cover, but the ones for sale don't look like the one in my car.

The one in my car looks exactly like the one in this thread - Pictorial DIY - Thermostat replacement - 1996 E320 . It has three bolts holding it down, and at the top there is a piece coming off at a right angle which connects to a hose going to the reservoir.

The replacement ones I see for sale have the three bolts, but they also have a threaded hole in the top which in no way could connect to the hose going to the reservoir, so these would not work as is.

After doing some googling, I get the feeling I need to order something called a bleed screw and a banjo fitting, but it's not clear which exact part or how to use it.

Ideally I'd like to replace it using the exact same cover, but if that's not available, I'd appreciate advice on how to use the one with the threaded hole.

Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,389
There should be a elbow fitting that screws into the threaded hole. My early 97 E320 ( built June 96 ) uses such a fitting.

My 97 SL320 ( same engine as the E320 ) does not use such a fitting , the bleed hose runs into the rad.

The elbow fitting might be in the parts kit just not shown in the pic, no way to tell unless someone looks in the package.

By the way, the E320 is being broken for parts. The motor, trans and some other odd bits are being used for other projects but, other parts are for sale.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks, but there doesn't appear to be any fitting or anywhere to screw.
The "elbow" is part of the housing. Here's a photo attached (sorry it's a bit blurry) where you can see the elbow (and where I cracked it)

Edit: You can also see the piece I'm talking about right at the green arrow in this photo:
Attached Thumbnails
1997 E320 Thermostat cover-thermostat-housing.jpg  

Last edited by larryc; 03-10-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Gilly's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Evansville WI
Posts: 9,616
You have the original cover, where the small hose attaches to the nipple on top of the cover. What MB did is came out with a generic cover with the treaded hole. The banjo fitting attaches to the top of the cover and the hose attaches to to banjo fitting instead. This way they can use the same cover for various installations, instead of several specific covers.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Gilly's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Evansville WI
Posts: 9,616

This attaches to the threaded hole and takes the place of the cast-in nipple on your original.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page