Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 PM
tyl604's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,157
Need advice buying 2012 E350

Guys - not sure where to post this; I am a diesel guy and that is where I always hang out. My son is buying a 2012 E350. What does 4matic mean? Should I guide him to a 2011 or 2010? Is the 2012 a good year. Have no idea what he should be looking at. He is shopping a pre-owned dealer named Malones in Atlanta and they look pretty reputable to me. Prices are maybe $1-2K below KBB.

RBM is the local new car dealer; I think he should shop them too but he is in a pretty big hurry. I think he will spend about $30K or so.

Advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
Guys - not sure where to post this; I am a diesel guy and that is where I always hang out. My son is buying a 2012 E350. What does 4matic mean? Should I guide him to a 2011 or 2010? Is the 2012 a good year. Have no idea what he should be looking at. He is shopping a pre-owned dealer named Malones in Atlanta and they look pretty reputable to me. Prices are maybe $1-2K below KBB.

RBM is the local new car dealer; I think he should shop them too but he is in a pretty big hurry. I think he will spend about $30K or so.

Advice would be appreciated.
n.
4Matic is AWD. 2012 is not a bad year as far as I know, I didn't hear too many complaints. When I look at a newer car for someone to buy sold with in the last two years or so, I always recommend checking the oil. Especially if the car only has 30-40K miles on it already. When people buy these cars and plan on trading them in fast, they usually don't want to pay for an oil change because it isn't free under warranty on Mercedes now IIRC. You absolutely don't want that mess.

Otherwise not much can be too bad on a 2012, it is pretty recent but look anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 PM
tyl604's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,157
4wheel all-the-time drive? Why did they do that? Has to hurt the gas mileage. I just bought a ML320 and it has 4wheel all-the-time drive but I do not think it is called 4 matic - not sure. On a truck I understand; but on a nice 4 door sedan???

Thx for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
4wheel all-the-time drive? Why did they do that? Has to hurt the gas mileage. I just bought a ML320 and it has 4wheel all-the-time drive but I do not think it is called 4 matic - not sure. On a truck I understand; but on a nice 4 door sedan???

Thx for the info.
Any Mercedes from 1987 up (Europe got the first 4Matic, rare) was called 4Matic. 31MPG highway is realistic with a 2012 E350. Not too bad. They are pretty fuel efficient for what they are. Mercedes makes every car 4Matic these days that they can. I can't wait to see how they are in the long-term, hopefully nothing comparable to the W124 4Matic nightmares. Depending on your ML (98-06) it is a low range AWD. They just didn't do the 4Matic deck lid emblems.

I really don't mind them in Sedans though, I'm looking for a 98-02 E320 4Matic when the timing is right depending how many more winters I spend here in Philly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2014, 02:52 AM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DONALD J. TRUMP'S AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!
Posts: 6,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
Guys - not sure where to post this; I am a diesel guy and that is where I always hang out. My son is buying a 2012 E350. What does 4matic mean? Should I guide him to a 2011 or 2010? Is the 2012 a good year. Have no idea what he should be looking at. He is shopping a pre-owned dealer named Malones in Atlanta and they look pretty reputable to me. Prices are maybe $1-2K below KBB.

RBM is the local new car dealer; I think he should shop them too but he is in a pretty big hurry. I think he will spend about $30K or so.

Advice would be appreciated.
Sounds like a good car to me. Hope he enjoys it!
__________________
Breitbart - One Voice Silenced, Millions Awakened

06 E320 CDI - PEWTER/CHARCOAL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,771
4matic is pretty unnecessary in Atlanta. I personally would skip it unless everything else about the car was what I wanted and I couldn't find a suitable RWD car. Other than that, all I can say is that being in a hurry to spend a bunch of money is usually a bad thing. If he's willing to shop around and be patient he will almost certainly find a better deal.
__________________
Anyone who thinks a 300D is fast drives too slow.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 357,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 24,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2014, 07:41 AM
tyl604's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,157
Skip - are you saying that he should shop for a 2012 E350 that is not 4matic? Do they make them? We do not have much snow in Buckhead.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DONALD J. TRUMP'S AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!
Posts: 6,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
Skip - are you saying that he should shop for a 2012 E350 that is not 4matic? Do they make them? We do not have much snow in Buckhead.
No, I think he's saying that $30K is a lot of money. 4-matic is great for winter driving. E350s come in the 2WD V6 gasser AND the Bluetec V6 turbodiesel as well. Several of them on the Net for a tad over $30K with low miles on 'em.
__________________
Breitbart - One Voice Silenced, Millions Awakened

06 E320 CDI - PEWTER/CHARCOAL
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 146
If it were me I would take it to dealer or an equipped indy able to run a scan on the ECU for past and potential problems.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,008
Modern 4matic (since '98) is nothing like the original system. Its very durable and its only downside (if you call it that) is a little extra maintenance due to more parts to maintain and fluids to change. My C240 has it and its running great and the 4matic works fine @136k miles and counting. In the snow its incredible. Its basically a car version of the all wheel drive setup on a G-wagen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake12tech View Post
Any Mercedes from 1987 up (Europe got the first 4Matic, rare) was called 4Matic. 31MPG highway is realistic with a 2012 E350. Not too bad. They are pretty fuel efficient for what they are. Mercedes makes every car 4Matic these days that they can. I can't wait to see how they are in the long-term, hopefully nothing comparable to the W124 4Matic nightmares. Depending on your ML (98-06) it is a low range AWD. They just didn't do the 4Matic deck lid emblems.

I really don't mind them in Sedans though, I'm looking for a 98-02 E320 4Matic when the timing is right depending how many more winters I spend here in Philly.
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 76k - mine - (OC-80,500)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 7k - wifes (OC-10k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 159k - mine (OC-160,000)
'89 420SEL 166k - mine (OC-167,000)
'01 E320 - 168k - dad's (OC-171,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 131k - dad's (OC-132,500)
'01 SL500 - 49k - dad's (OC-52,000)
'09 E350 4matic Sedan - 128k - Brothers (OC-128,000)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 AM
oldsinner111's Avatar
love all animals
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bristol,tn
Posts: 5,317
if it was me,I hold out for a diesel
__________________
You believe your's I'll take science, it saved my life
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 AM
engatwork's Avatar
busy
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Soperton, Ga. USA
Posts: 12,163
They are available without 4matic.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
No, I think he's saying that $30K is a lot of money. 4-matic is great for winter driving. E350s come in the 2WD V6 gasser AND the Bluetec V6 turbodiesel as well. Several of them on the Net for a tad over $30K with low miles on 'em.
30 grand is a lot of money to most people. If I were planning on spending that much on a vehicle, I would take my sweet time and shop around. I'm sure 4matic is good in snow, but Atlanta gets about a quarter inch accumulation about once every three years. I would call that no snow worth speaking of, but when it happens there it shuts the city down to a degree those of us with snow driving experience find somewhere between comical and pathetic. I lived there for a number of years, so I've seen it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsinner111 View Post
if it was me,I hold out for a diesel
My taste in cars has changed over time, as has engine technology. I'd be interested in a diesel, but the gas engines have become a lot more efficient in recent years. With that budget and in that area I would most likely be looking at a slightly used or even new BMW 3-Series gasser with a manual transmission, but that's just me.
__________________
Anyone who thinks a 300D is fast drives too slow.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 357,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 24,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 AM
tyl604's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,157
Thanks guys. Great info.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Hirnbeiss's Avatar
ich fahre, also bin ich
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,640
Send your son to the North Avenue Trade School, then he will come to appreciate the fine persuasion of vintage iron:
Ramblin' Wreck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Prost!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page