Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Tech Help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 PM
lsmalley's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,073
Car totalled

So last month I was in a hit and run and had what I though was minor damage as everything on the car is functional and the damage is hardly noticeable rear quarter panel and a small 2 x 2 dent on the hood and front/rear bumpers are cracked. Appraiser estimated $4,000 in damage and want to total the car. They asked me questions about what the car came with and if I added anything. I then gave them the list of the majority of the modifications I did from wheels to remote start (it was a pretty long list). They now want receipts, which I told them I've owned the car since 2005 so this is a list of cumulative upgrades and some of the receipts I don't have, and does this include labor. I have not heard back from them yet, but since they want receipts, I wonder if pulling a list of items that were ordered from my online catalog like pelican and rock, and ********, etc. is acceptable. I would rather not have them total my car but if they are trying to do that because they think it will cost them less then I want to add EVERY single thing I've done to the car since ownership that is still on the car like my cross drilled rotors, upgraded brakes, new water pump, thermostat, upgraded cooling fan etc. Included are photos I took, the damage isn't noticeable unless you look for it, plus I hated having a white mar on my rear quarter panel so I cleaned it and painted it. Dent is still there though.

Attached Thumbnails
Car totalled-img_20180718_151324_01.jpg   Car totalled-img_20180718_151438_01.jpg  
__________________

1990 190E 3.0L
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 PM
engatwork's Avatar
busy
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Soperton, Ga. USA
Posts: 13,356
If that is what you have then go for it.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2018, 08:13 AM
ejboyd5's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Southold, NY
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmalley View Post
So last month I was in a hit and run and had what I though was minor damage as everything on the car is functional and the damage is hardly noticeable rear quarter panel and a small 2 x 2 dent on the hood and front/rear bumpers are cracked.
SO, why don't you simply continue to drive it?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 AM
Hirnbeiss's Avatar
ich fahre, also bin ich
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,671
Talk to a body shop yourself and see what you can do. If they just do the sheet metal and spot painting I'm sure you're looking at much less. My guess is the bumper covers are getting pricey - if you can go with used you can save a lot.
__________________
Prost!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 844
Here's what some of us do in Australia in a case like yours.
Work out a total write off settlement with the insurance company.
Then offer to buy the "wreck" back off them for a highly reduced amount. (The insurance company generally get scrap yard values for these cars)
Fix it yourself.

Caveat. If an Insurance company total's a car then the VIN number is listed on a government write off list. (To prevent illegal rebirth's) You must negotiate with the insurance company to see that the listing doesn't occur or listed as a repairable write off.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,925
It's a generous offer, grab it and stop whining. If you buy it back, it will forever have a rebuilt title. Keep your aftermarket stuff if you like, the insurance company could care less. You can find a better 2.6.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Mercedes-Benz-190-Class-d58#listing=208255319
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 AM
lsmalley's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxfrank View Post
It's a generous offer, grab it and stop whining. If you buy it back, it will forever have a rebuilt title. Keep your aftermarket stuff if you like, the insurance company could care less. You can find a better 2.6.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Mercedes-Benz-190-Class-d58#listing=208255319
I think you misread what I wrote: $4,000 in damages or more. That is NOT, their offer. That means that they believe $4,000 is more than what the car is worth and so they don't want to do any repairs on it. They have not made any offer yet, but I'm guessing that it will be well below $4,000. As far as a better 201....My current 201:

In dash system: DVD, CD, navigation, USB, iPod, am/fm, Sirius, XM, Bluetooth, Video/RCA
Remote/keyless start
Cold crank RPM/Tach monitor
Turbo fan timer feature
Programmable daily start time
Temperature controlled start for A/C, heater
https://drive.google.com/file/d/121ET3S54zYwJiHF4sh6Ro3s3c_G4b8-0/view?usp=drivesdk
Alarm system:
GPS tracker/locator
Anti-carjack
Passive arming
Driver calling
Ignition lock
2 way alert
Silent alarm
Front camera w/nightvision
Rear camera w/nightvision
17 inch Mercedes AMG sport rims
Upgraded 4-Piston Mercedes brake calipers
AMG Exhaust tips
400E Sway bar
600-watt MB cooling fan
400E coil springs
SL 500 rear coil springs
W210 front grill upgrade
Car fully repainted (7/2017)
Custom built 5-way, independent LED headlights with projectors and 2500k Nokya H1 fog lights.

All bushings for front, rear, engine, drivetrain replaced within 1 year. All brake hoses replaced within 1 year. Pretty much majority of the maintenance items on my car have been replaced within 1-3 years. Plus all service/maintenance records since 2006. As MB enthusiasts, we know the value of keeping such meticulous records. Car has 440k miles on it. So, in my opinion, will I find a better 201 than what I have? Definitely not. Insurance companies will look at the mileage and age of the vehicle and the condition. I mean, it took me about 3 years just to build the headlights and get them perfected and about 2+ years to figure out the 600-watt fan set up. I think if I had this car stock and sent it to a shop to do the upgrades that I have on it, I would be looking at maybe $15k+
__________________

1990 190E 3.0L
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Diseasel300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 6,019
Things you added and things you did to the car mean nothing when you're talking to an insurance adjuster. They are going off the year and model of the vehicle, nothing more.

If you haven't filed a formal claim yet, cancel it. If you've filed a formal claim, you're kind of SOL. You can either allow them to total it and take the money, or you can buy it back from them as a "salvage" and have it rebuilt at your expense. Be aware that doing this will mar the vehicle's value forever since it will carry a "salvage" or "rebuilt" title. Depending on your state laws, the vehicle may not be allowed on the road until it has been rebuilt and inspected to insure roadworthiness.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:03 PM
lsmalley's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
Things you added and things you did to the car mean nothing when you're talking to an insurance adjuster. They are going off the year and model of the vehicle, nothing more.

If you haven't filed a formal claim yet, cancel it. If you've filed a formal claim, you're kind of SOL. You can either allow them to total it and take the money, or you can buy it back from them as a "salvage" and have it rebuilt at your expense. Be aware that doing this will mar the vehicle's value forever since it will carry a "salvage" or "rebuilt" title. Depending on your state laws, the vehicle may not be allowed on the road until it has been rebuilt and inspected to insure roadworthiness.
I know. This is why I'm hoping I can negotiate with them to at least cover a portion of the repair without totaling it. A totaled car is essentially paper weight. Might not even be able to get it insured once totaled and if so, the premium might rival that of a newer mb. I've got my fingers crossed. But let this be a reality check for everyone on the forum with the older mbz.
__________________

1990 190E 3.0L
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Hit Man X's Avatar
I LOVE BRUNETTES
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FUNKYTOWN
Posts: 9,087
Thumbs up

All the insurance guys see is a 440,000 mile, 1990 model year car. If they offer you more than $1000 I would be surprised. My W126s are all just as worthless.

My 300E nailed a ped crossing the freeway on New Year's Eve 2017. Just called police and had it towed back to the house, pulled a few parts, then sent it out the door.
__________________
I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look.

'85 300SD 245k
'87 300SDL 251k
'90 300SEL 326k

Six others from BMW, GM, and Ford.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Dela-where? OH
Posts: 133
When I bought my '74 914 13 years ago, 914 values were still pretty low, probably lower than the $6500 I paid for mine. I asked my insurance agent about agreed value coverage and he wrote me a policy based on a value I stated. I haven't had to make a claim [knocks on wood] but theoretically if it were totaled, I'd get the agreed value out of it, not whatever the insurance man's outdated books tell him it's worth. Unfortunately, the car insurance system is just not set up for cars in that gray zone between newish one the one hand and collectible classic on the other. Look at it like this: you've hopefully spent less money (and had more fun) than owning a 201x Accord/Camry/Sonata. It also helps to have a contingency plan. I tell myself that if anything happens to my 914, I'll use the payout as a down payment on a 911.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-24-2018, 04:49 AM
lsmalley's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrockhound View Post
When I bought my '74 914 13 years ago, 914 values were still pretty low, probably lower than the $6500 I paid for mine. I asked my insurance agent about agreed value coverage and he wrote me a policy based on a value I stated. I haven't had to make a claim [knocks on wood] but theoretically if it were totaled, I'd get the agreed value out of it, not whatever the insurance man's outdated books tell him it's worth. Unfortunately, the car insurance system is just not set up for cars in that gray zone between newish one the one hand and collectible classic on the other. Look at it like this: you've hopefully spent less money (and had more fun) than owning a 201x Accord/Camry/Sonata. It also helps to have a contingency plan. I tell myself that if anything happens to my 914, I'll use the payout as a down payment on a 911.
I guess this wouldn't be so bad had I not just had the entire car repainted 11 months prior. Formal claim was filed by my insurance company. Worse case scenario is they refuse to work with me then I'd probably just have to drop the entire claim and pay for the repairs myself that way I still have the clean title and will not have to worry about going through the system to have a rebuilt title, etc. Easier said than done when you have to cover an unnecessary expense because the other side is refusing to even though they are legally obligated to.
__________________

1990 190E 3.0L
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-24-2018, 05:49 AM
Hirnbeiss's Avatar
ich fahre, also bin ich
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,671
Interesting reading here: https://medium.com/@erlichya/how-i-fought-and-won-against-my-insurance-company-using-grad-school-skills-548ef4347ec9
__________________
Prost!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 AM
ejboyd5's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Southold, NY
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
My 300E nailed a ped crossing the freeway on New Year's Eve 2017. Just called police and had it towed back to the house, pulled a few parts, then sent it out the door.
Fairly callous reporting of a vehicle/pedestrian MVA. Did the 300E have a driver at the time or was it running on its own?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-24-2018, 12:06 PM
Hit Man X's Avatar
I LOVE BRUNETTES
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FUNKYTOWN
Posts: 9,087
Thumbs up

I have no pity for sheer stupidity.

__________________
I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look.

'85 300SD 245k
'87 300SDL 251k
'90 300SEL 326k

Six others from BMW, GM, and Ford.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page