Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Tech Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2002, 07:02 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 12
300e lifters

I pulled off my my rockers to reveal a very worn lobe and rocker. I replaced the cam and rockers from my old engine and I still have a loud tapping noise.
My question is: how do know if a lifter is bad or needs to be replaced? I was told that if you turn the lifter upside down it drains and is no longer good. I noticed some of the lifters have verticle play when in the rocker but not mounted to the head. Is this normal?
I would appreciate any help before I buy a new cam, rockers, and lifters.

Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 12:32 AM
Gilly's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Evansville WI
Posts: 9,616
There is a special tool used to measure the clearance (base position) of the hydraulic compensators. The adustments are made using either a different thickness shim inside the rocker where the compensator is installed, or a different thickness button on top of the valve stem where the compensator touches the valve (the little cup shaped button). Is it possible you left out on of the cup shaped buttons?
The recommended way of checking the compensator is to push down on top of the compensator (installed in the engine is fine) and see if the compensator "deflates" or not. If you can feel that the compensator is collapsing under pressure, it's bad. If you hold down hard and long enough it will eventually collapse, but the difference is if it does it easily or right away; you shouldn't be able to notice the collapsing, should take a long time, too long to feel it happening. Oh, you're supposed to push down with a "suitable" tool, I was told that you should push down with the handle end of a hammer.
If there is alot of play in the base position (valve closed, ie cam at the lowest or "base" position) then chances are you need to adjust the compensators. The fixture is rather expensive. I know you can buy it from MB, unsure where else or if someone can offer a "shadetree" adjustment method. In addition to the special tool a dial indicator is used in conjunction with the tool.

Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page