PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (
-   Tech Help (
-   -   560SEL trans question (

M D Nugent 10-13-2002 09:51 PM

560SEL trans question
I want to drive a mechanical speedo ('72 350SL) from a 560SEL trans.

Someone told me I can replace the tail section of the 560SEL trans (and its Hall effect sender) with the tail section from a 123 chassis (it has a mechanical speedo drive), and then use the 123's speedo cable.

Can anybody here either validate or criticize that suggestion?

M D "Doc" Nugent

mbdoc 10-14-2002 08:11 AM

The cars that had a mechanical speed have a lubrication "bore" to feed trans fluid to the speedo drive area. Transmissions that were designed for electronic speedos didn't have this lube bore & can cause problems. Not a good idea.

stevebfl 10-14-2002 09:14 AM

We have repaired speedos for years.

We periodically get junk mail describing various speedo related functions. Recently we got a flier for a device that converts electrical speedo signals to drive a small motor that spins a short speedo cable at the proper speed.

My brother does the speedos and I gave him the flier. When he gets here I'll see if he saved it. Otherwise you might try a speed equiptment vender for such a product.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website