Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Do It Yourself Links & Resources > Tool Rental Program

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northeast Vermont
Posts: 115
Wanted: 123 Rear Wheel Bearing Castle Socket

Hi All,

Well, it's rear bearing time for my 1985 300TD (240,000+).

I checked with the closest Mercedes dealer to me, and they want $130 for the socket. Yes, it would be a good investment, as I do have several 123's, but now is not the time for me to spend $130 on a socket. If someone knows where I can get one a good deal cheaper, I'd definitely consider buying one.

I am located in Northeastern Vermont, and would very much like to borrow a socket, unless someone does know where to get one for a lot cheaper than $130. Let me know what you would like to see for compensation (I of course would cover shipping both ways).

I don't really spend to much time around here (my time here is more research & learning than it is participation), but can provide references from other forum sites and professional references as well to attest to my credibility.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Bryan
__________________
1984 240D Euro 5 Speed 201,000 miles
1984 300D Euro 4 Speed (runs great but ugly)
1984 300TD 185,000 miles
1985 300TD, 240,000 miles
1972 220D, 240,000 miles w/ a stuck odometer
1984 300D, 214,000 miles
1984 300TD, 255,000 miles rustbucket parts car
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,453
Possibles

1) They used to sell them for about half that price on this forum - so get in touch with Pelican may be they can help.

2) The non Mercedes ones are cheaper but they don't always fit as well - my Mercedes one fits like a glove

3) Look on this forum for the tool rental program
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northeast Vermont
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Possibles

1) They used to sell them for about half that price on this forum - so get in touch with Pelican may be they can help.

2) The non Mercedes ones are cheaper but they don't always fit as well - my Mercedes one fits like a glove

3) Look on this forum for the tool rental program
Thanks for reply!

I actually, for now, am going to make one. I found this link:

Homemade Slot Nut Socket
**************
Original thread: Rear Wheel Bearings 87' 560SL

Thanks again,

Bryan
__________________
1984 240D Euro 5 Speed 201,000 miles
1984 300D Euro 4 Speed (runs great but ugly)
1984 300TD 185,000 miles
1985 300TD, 240,000 miles
1972 220D, 240,000 miles w/ a stuck odometer
1984 300D, 214,000 miles
1984 300TD, 255,000 miles rustbucket parts car

Last edited by whunter; 11-22-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Link to Original DIY tool thread
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,453
Nice web site - thanks for posting that. I haven't come across it before.

I assume you are planning to use the tool in anger (so to speak)?

If so you might be interested in the struggles I've had doing the job =>

W123 rear wheel bearing removal help needed

(Shows how to do it off the car as well)

PeachPartsWiki: Replacing the Rear Wheel Bearings

Also shows the process - but I advise not to hit stuff out with hammers.

More recently I've measured the force required to crush a crush collar on a W201 differential - similar design to the rear wheel crush collar...

...7 metric tons registered on my hydraulic press until it moved!

The W201 differential refresh thread
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northeast Vermont
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Nice web site - thanks for posting that. I haven't come across it before.

I assume you are planning to use the tool in anger (so to speak)?

If so you might be interested in the struggles I've had doing the job =>

W123 rear wheel bearing removal help needed

(Shows how to do it off the car as well)

PeachPartsWiki: Replacing the Rear Wheel Bearings

Also shows the process - but I advise not to hit stuff out with hammers.

More recently I've measured the force required to crush a crush collar on a W201 differential - similar design to the rear wheel crush collar...

...7 metric tons registered on my hydraulic press until it moved!

The W201 differential refresh thread
You are welcome, and thank you for posting those threads, I just browsed them quickly and plan to read them thoroughly later.

I'm not sure what you mean by "use the tool in anger".

Thanks for the replies,

Bryan
__________________
1984 240D Euro 5 Speed 201,000 miles
1984 300D Euro 4 Speed (runs great but ugly)
1984 300TD 185,000 miles
1985 300TD, 240,000 miles
1972 220D, 240,000 miles w/ a stuck odometer
1984 300D, 214,000 miles
1984 300TD, 255,000 miles rustbucket parts car
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplust View Post
You are welcome, and thank you for posting those threads, I just browsed them quickly and plan to read them thoroughly later.

I'm not sure what you mean by "use the tool in anger".

Thanks for the replies,

Bryan
You will do when you do the job!
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page