Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Vintage Mercedes Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 49
Location of 450SL fuel filter

I'm a novice. Where is the fuel filter located in a 450Sl? Is it electronic or mechanical, and can it cause a knocking noise? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 PM
ja17's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blacklick, Ohio
Posts: 238
Hello,

The fuel filter is under the car, above the rignt axle. The fuel pump is electrical and is with the fuel filter. Normally it has a whinning sound and not a nocking.
__________________
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1964 220SE Rally (La Carrera Panamericana someday)
1966 Unimog 404s (Swedish Army)
1969 300SEL 6.3 (sold)
1969 280SL Pagoda
1973 280SEL 4.5
1974 450SLC FIA Rally car (standard trans)
1982 300D turbo (winter driver)
1986 560SEC
1989 Unimog FLU419 (US Army)
1991 300TE (wife)
2002 SLK 32 AMG (350 hp)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Graham's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwendt View Post
I'm a novice. Where is the fuel filter located in a 450Sl? Is it electronic or mechanical, and can it cause a knocking noise? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Under the car near rear right wheel. It is under a plate that must be removed to access both the filter and the pump. A filter is a static device - neither electronic nor mechanical. Perhaps you meant the pump? It is an electric device. You should hear it when you first turn the key on.

Where is the knocking noise coming from?
__________________
Graham
85 300D,72 350SL, 98 E320, Outback 2.5
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
meltedpanda's Avatar
Certified Benzaholic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Ky
Posts: 6,240
if the knocking is coming from under the hood and its metalic, get the chains checked - pronto
__________________
Ron
2011 Porsche Cayman - Bond,James Bond
Sadly MERCEDESLESS - ALways LOOKING !
99 E320 THE Queen Mary - SOLD
62 220b - Dolly - Finally my Finny! Sadly SOLD
72 450SL, Pearl-SOLD
16 F350 6.7 Diesel -THOR
19 BMW X5 - Heaven on Wheels
14 38HP John Deere 3038E Tractor -Mean Green
84 300SD, Benjamin -SOLD
71 220 - W115-Libby ( my first love) -SOLD
73 280 - W114 "Organspende" Rest in Peace
81 380 SL - Rest in Peace
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Under the car near rear right wheel. It is under a plate that must be removed to access both the filter and the pump. A filter is a static device - neither electronic nor mechanical. Perhaps you meant the pump? It is an electric device. You should hear it when you first turn the key on.

Where is the knocking noise coming from?
From the engine, hopefully on top. However, we've checked for valves, rings, etc. and they appear to be fine. Could it be the ball studs or a chain, or a rod? I suppose any of the above. I was hoping that the engine wouldn't need to be rebuilt.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwendt View Post
From the engine, hopefully on top. However, we've checked for valves, rings, etc. and they appear to be fine. Could it be the ball studs or a chain, or a rod? I suppose any of the above. I was hoping that the engine wouldn't need to be rebuilt.
How did you check the valves, rings etc ?
Could be the timing chain, its an overhead cam engine which you would have noticed when you checked the valves so there are no rods.
- Is the knocking more noticeable when the engine is cold
- Can you try and be more specific about its location i.e. the front, top, back, side
- When wa the oil changed last, is it at the right level

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page