Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Vintage Mercedes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM
meltedpanda's Avatar
Certified Benzaholic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Ky
Posts: 6,017
ooooh this is getting good, keep us posted , I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!!
__________________
Ron
99 E320 THE Queen Mary
62 220b - Dolly - Finally my Finny!
72 450SL, Pearl-SOLD
16 F350 6.7 Diesel -THOR
07 Lexus RX 350 - Lexi
14 38HP John Deere 3038E Tractor -Mean Green
84 300SD, Benjamin -SOLD
71 220 - W115-Libby ( my first love) -SOLD
73 280 - W114 "Organspende" Rest in Peace
81 380 SL - Rest in Peace
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA.
Posts: 2
Fantastic wagon! I think you would be better off repairing the body of the wagon rather than graft the wagon parts onto a clean body. It would be worth more as a restored original wagon. Either way, I hope you get to be the new owner, Dave.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Squiggle Dog's Avatar
MBCA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surprise, AZ, USA
Posts: 2,496
At first I was thinking of grafting the wagon parts on a rust-free body, but I am now leaning more toward just cutting out the rusty panels and replacing them. I would want to make sure at the very least that every VIN number stamped on the body was the same!

I talked with the owner today, but apparently someone else wants the wagon and now I'm sort of in a bidding war... He did say that he would feel better about selling it to me, but I would have to pay at least $1,000 for it, maybe more.

It's a bit disappointing. I want the car, but I don't want to get taken advantage of or play silly games. I'd pay $1,000 cash and pick it up ASAP, but regardless of the rarity, there's nothing like rust to kill a car's value, and it's going to take quite some doing to make it whole again.

I should know for sure tomorrow. If he'll sell the car to me for $1,000 I'll get it and have it here Friday or Saturday. If he changes his mind and says he wants more money or wants the other person who is interested to make a counter-offer it is really going to be aggravating and I'll probably have to fold.
__________________
DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!


1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 343,000+ Miles
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA.
Posts: 2
I've been there. Tell the guy you're going to restore it and you're not here to play games. Either he wants the car to go to a good home or not? Be up front and firm. If it's meant to be...........
__________________
80 240d auto, manual windows and fantastic fuel mileage!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 207
If it doesn't work out I know where there is one for sale. A 1969 universal if I remember correctly. It is in much better shape. I thought about buying it, but didn't need another project. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure it's still there as he wasn't trying to sell it- I noticed it while doing work on the property and asked about it.
__________________
1984 300TD 1981 240D
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 AM
vwnate1's Avatar
Diesel Dandy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny So. Cal. !
Posts: 2,189
Thumbs up Hang Tough !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle Dog View Post
At first I was thinking of grafting the wagon parts on a rust-free body, but I am now leaning more toward just cutting out the rusty panels and replacing them. I would want to make sure at the very least that every VIN number stamped on the body was the same!

I talked with the owner today, but apparently someone else wants the wagon and now I'm sort of in a bidding war... He did say that he would feel better about selling it to me, but I would have to pay at least $1,000 for it, maybe more.

It's a bit disappointing. I want the car, but I don't want to get taken advantage of or play silly games. I'd pay $1,000 cash and pick it up ASAP, but regardless of the rarity, there's nothing like rust to kill a car's value, and it's going to take quite some doing to make it whole again.

I should know for sure tomorrow. If he'll sell the car to me for $1,000 I'll get it and have it here Friday or Saturday. If he changes his mind and says he wants more money or wants the other person who is interested to make a counter-offer it is really going to be aggravating and I'll probably have to fold.
We've all been there , don't let your emotions get the better of your common sense .

If he gets too greedy , leave him a card with your contact info and in a month or so when he realizes you were the only one with $ , he'll call you .

I'm hoping you get it , I also hope you have a full idea of what you're getting into as I see many good cars get scrapped after owners give up .
__________________
-Nate
1982 240D creampuff 360,000 miles (SWMBO's)
1978 300CD back from the dead SOLD
1980 300CD 90K Miles ICE COLD AC ~ SOLD
1984 300CD KEEPER ! 413,XXX miles
1984 Euro 300TD Fully optioned
1974 350SLC 4 speed stickshift SOLD & missed
Krazy Kommie Ural Motos (3)
BMW Motos /5's SOLD
Vintage Air Cooled VW's all gone =8-(
Junk
Rust
Arthritis
Crushed Spine , Broken Neck
Memories
Peace Of Mind
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Squiggle Dog's Avatar
MBCA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surprise, AZ, USA
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10fords View Post
If it doesn't work out I know where there is one for sale. A 1969 universal if I remember correctly. It is in much better shape. I thought about buying it, but didn't need another project. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure it's still there as he wasn't trying to sell it- I noticed it while doing work on the property and asked about it.
I'm very curious about that Universal. Is it a finbody like this one?
__________________
DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!


1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 343,000+ Miles
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle Dog View Post
I'm very curious about that Universal. Is it a finbody like this one?
From what I remember it looks exactly the same. Finbodies are not my specialty though so I might not know the subtle differences. I'm a 123/126 guy (for now!). Your thread caught my eye because I remember seeing the one near me and was wondering if it was the same one.
__________________
1984 300TD 1981 240D
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sykesville MD
Posts: 43
i found a cool fintail wagon

about 15-20 years ago i found a 230s fintail wagon w/ sunroof a/c auto p/s and in really good shape rust wise. i had been looking for years and probably located @ 10-15 of them all with more rust then i wanted. they were asking more then i wanted to pay for this wagon. i looked at this wagon for 6 months and one day said to myself "what are you waiting for this is the best one you have ever seen and has all options for that year". i drove the 50 miles to buy the car and it literally had been sold a few hours ago. this is zero hype or story telling and i have never forgotten it or forgiven myself.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
waterboarding w/medmech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coming to your hometown
Posts: 7,740
I want one...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
meltedpanda's Avatar
Certified Benzaholic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Ky
Posts: 6,017
get in line (lol)
__________________
Ron
99 E320 THE Queen Mary
62 220b - Dolly - Finally my Finny!
72 450SL, Pearl-SOLD
16 F350 6.7 Diesel -THOR
07 Lexus RX 350 - Lexi
14 38HP John Deere 3038E Tractor -Mean Green
84 300SD, Benjamin -SOLD
71 220 - W115-Libby ( my first love) -SOLD
73 280 - W114 "Organspende" Rest in Peace
81 380 SL - Rest in Peace
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Squiggle Dog's Avatar
MBCA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surprise, AZ, USA
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by neubob View Post
about 15-20 years ago i found a 230s fintail wagon w/ sunroof a/c auto p/s and in really good shape rust wise. i had been looking for years and probably located @ 10-15 of them all with more rust then i wanted. they were asking more then i wanted to pay for this wagon. i looked at this wagon for 6 months and one day said to myself "what are you waiting for this is the best one you have ever seen and has all options for that year". i drove the 50 miles to buy the car and it literally had been sold a few hours ago. this is zero hype or story telling and i have never forgotten it or forgiven myself.
Was it a brown one? I think I remember seeing one of those around that time. I think I know the person who bought it, and as I recall, he sold it to someone in Germany.
__________________
DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!


1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 343,000+ Miles
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Squiggle Dog's Avatar
MBCA Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surprise, AZ, USA
Posts: 2,496
The seller and I agreed upon $1,000 cash and I will be having it towed to my house tomorrow. I'm really excited. All of that moss will be coming off right away! It could really use a bath. Poor thing.
__________________
DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!


1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 343,000+ Miles
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 30,996
Good luck with it!

I once had a 51 Caddy convertible which was very rusty but complete. I was into caddies at that time and really wanted to finish it. Not having the $25K to fix it up I eventually sold it along to a doctor who had the money to invest to make it a $40K car (fifteen years ago).

I made some money on it. Cannot remember how much. Maybe a couple of thousand.

It may have been the first hobby car I did not lose money on. It had a trunk full of caddy parts. IIRC I sold a set of special wheel covers for $375.

I still have a pile of caddy parts at home.

(My point being if you don't let it deteriorate further you might still make money on it even if you never get around to restoring it.)
__________________
Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins& six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I am finishing a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual....I also have a Lotus 7 replica autocrosser with a modified K20 Acura engine.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Joseph_Conrad's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cleveland Heights via Seattle, WA
Posts: 326
Awesome! I look forward to following your updates. Looks like the license plate in the back of the car was last tabbed in 1997, if those plates are from the car, it's really not all that long ago that that that wagon was driving around. Best of luck!
__________________
1984 300D, 228k, Light Ivory, Java MB-Tex
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page