Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Vintage Mercedes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Unhappy W123 200 1978 722.112 shift hard

Dear friend,

I need your help to solve a problems on my mercedes w123 200 petrol 94hp 1978 automatic.

First of all sorry for my bad english...
Since last year I had a problem when shift from neutral to drive....the car shift so hard that looks like car jumps.

Te automatic transmission model is 722.112 and has only the VCV to adjust the shift between gears and anyway has been replaced and set properly.

As far as I understand, to solve the problem I should adjust the "modulator pressure" but this model should not have any regulator.

Does anyone should help me to find a solution? I figure out should be the oil pressure to high. Many thanks in advance to all. Daniele

Last edited by dmaglione; 07-31-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Wrong code 2
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaglione View Post
Dear friend,

I need your help to solve a problems on my mercedes w123 200 petrol 94hp 1978 automatic.

First of all sorry for my bad english...
Since last year I had a problem when shift from neutral to drive....the car shift so hard that looks like car jumps.

Te automatic transmission model is 722.118 and has only the VCV to adjust the shift between gears and anyway has been replaced and set properly.

As far as I understand, to solve the problem I should adjust the "modulator pressure" but this model should not have any regulator.

Does anyone should help me to find a solution? I figure out should be the oil pressure to high. Many thanks in advance to all. Daniele
Sorry to say, the 722.118 transmission is for use with diesel engines, and is incorrectly installed with a petrol engine.

A petrol engine, by virtue of being controlled by an air throttle, has reduced atmospheric pressure (vacuum) in the intake manifold. That vacuum is used to control internal hydraulic pressures in the transmission via the vacuum modulator. The vacuum modulator is connected directly to the reduced atmospheric pressure in the intake manifold.

A diesel engine operates with the manifold at full (or greater than) atmospheric pressure, and hence cannot provide vacuum from that source. The use of a vacuum pump combined with a vacuum control valve (VCV) mimics the reduced atmospheric pressure of a petrol engine.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Hi Frank,

first of all many thanks for your quick feed back. Honestly the transmission was native and bought originally with car in semptember 1978.
Probably I made a mistaje and anyway I'm sure that the trasmission has only the VCV valve and no other valves.

In fact I swapped this one because had problems shifting between gears and problem desappeared.

Now, the only problem still going is the torque when you shift from neutral or parking to direct of reverse...VERY HARD.

Ther's any other adjustment to be done?

The transmission os identical to the attached image. Many thanks Frank
Attached Thumbnails
W123 200 1978 722.118 shift hard-trans1.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Sorry frank, you're right.....it is a 722.112.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaglione View Post
Hi Frank,

first of all many thanks for your quick feed back. Honestly the transmission was native and bought originally with car in semptember 1978.
Probably I made a mistaje and anyway I'm sure that the trasmission has only the VCV valve and no other valves.

In fact I swapped this one because had problems shifting between gears and problem desappeared.

Now, the only problem still going is the torque when you shift from neutral or parking to direct of reverse...VERY HARD.

Ther's any other adjustment to be done?

The transmission os identical to the attached image.
Many thanks Frank
.112 Good! If the installed transmission is the same as the picture, there is no VCV.

The pressure adjustment is a screw inside the modulator (at the right rear of the transmission). It can be seen when the vacuum banjo fitting is removed. Anti-clockwise reduces pressure, and thereby softens the engagement. Note: the adjustment of the control pressure rod controls the timing of the shifts, and the modulator controls the firmness of the shifts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Dear Frank. Many many thanks for your kindest help. Maybe is my English not very good. ....I understand the vacuum settings for the shift and has been properly set. Every gear goes up or down correctly.
But when you say the modulator where could be set or adjusted? Today I tried tomfind any other screw to trim but nothing found excepting for the screw inside the vcv. Do you have any pictures where show hot to set the firmnes?

Really. Appreciated your help.

Daniele
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaglione View Post
Dear Frank. Many many thanks for your kindest help. Maybe is my English not very good. ....I understand the vacuum settings for the shift and has been properly set. Every gear goes up or down correctly.
But when you say the modulator where could be set or adjusted? Today I tried tomfind any other screw to trim but nothing found excepting for the screw inside the vcv. Do you have any pictures where show hot to set the firmnes?

Really. Appreciated your help.

Daniele
Please look at the picture that you attached in post #3. The circle on the left is labeled "Modulator Valve". That is also called "Vacuum Modulator". Remove the vacuum line from the modulator. Inside the open end is a screw to adjust the pressure in the transmission.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2017, 12:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Ok Frank. But this has impact on shift point and not on pressure. In other words when I modify the screw inside I move up or down the point of shift between gears.

My problem is the torque when you goes from neutral to drive or to reverse.

Or probably there are 2 different adjustment on this?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2017, 01:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Reiner View Post
Please look at the picture that you attached in post #3. The circle on the left is labeled "Modulator Valve". That is also called "Vacuum Modulator". Remove the vacuum line from the modulator. Inside the open end is a screw to adjust the pressure in the transmission.
Just to be more clear, here a pics of my transmissione with circled in red the VcV, as you know, inside ther's a lever that should be extracted and rotated to adjust the shifting point.
W123 200 1978 722.118 shift hard-722112.jpg

Do you mean ther's inside another regulation point?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaglione View Post
Just to be more clear, here a pics of my transmissione with circled in red the VcV, as you know, inside ther's a lever that should be extracted and rotated to adjust the shifting point.
Attachment 143494

Do you mean ther's inside another regulation point?
A Vacuum Control Valve (VCV) is used ONLY with Diesel engine vacuum pumps.
Petrol engines DO NOT have a VCV.

What you have circled in red is a Vacuum MODULATOR.

In Post #5 it was explained that the shift points are controlled by the Control Pressure Valve, which is operated by the Control Pressure Lever at the right front of the transmission.
When the transmission hydraulic pressure is changed by adjusting the Vacuum Modulator, there will also be a change in the shift points. However, the shift points can then be corrected by adjusting the Control Pressure. That is done by changing the length of the rod from the throttle to the Control Pressure Lever. This was also explained in Post #5.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Ok Frank,

I'll get this info as gold!! I'll try to change hydraulic presure ad you mentioned and I'll let you know.

One more time many thanks and greetings from Italy.

If you need something from here just let me know!!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Diseasel300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 1,819
Do you have access to a vacuum gauge? If so plug it into the vacuum line coming to the modulator and see what kind of vacuum reading you have at idle. You should have relatively high vacuum. If you don't, you likely have a broken vacuum line or a rotten vacuum connector somewhere. Lack of vacuum will cause a very hard shift.

If you have access to a hand vacuum pump, try pulling a vacuum on the modulator. If it fails to hold vacuum, the internal diaphragm has failed.
__________________
'86 300SDL - "The Diseasel" 177K
'83 500SL Euro - "The Money Pit" 116K
'11 Honda Accord EX - "The Daily" 60K and counting...
The Diseasel Thread - Everything You Didn't Know You Wanted To Know
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-03-2017, 03:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Wow, great expalation., Yes I'll test it as soon as possible, but I' sure that the modulator is ok because has been replaced entirely with a brand new one.

Probably I have to check the vacuum line for worn or damaged hoses.

Does anyone could sell a vacuum diagram for my car? A long time ago the car was maintened by Mercedes garage but in Italy honestly the service and teh quality is very bad. I'm suposing they reconnected the vacuum hoses wrongly.

If someone ha to sell a vacuum diagram or manual I'll be happy to buy:

Mercedes W123 Petrol - model 123020 Engine type M115938 2.0L 94 HP - Automatic transmission 722.112 year 1978.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-09-2017, 01:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Hi. I' ve checked the vacuum value using a vacuum meter and the value at idle is max so it looks like to work perfectly. Now going to check the modulator valve to see if registering it we could reach the firm of shift. Let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 28
Hello guys, after your indications, I've done some tests and below the situation:

First I would like to give you my apologize but I've make a mistake: the tranny is the 722.115 as reported onthe incided numbers on it.

Anyway about vacuum value at idle speed is at maximum on my vacuum meter.
Also I've screwed clokwise and anti clockwise the vacuum modulator valve and it affect a little bit the torque when you go from neutral to direct but the impact is still very high. Can I have another problem for example the torque converter or the primary pump?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page