View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 12:38 AM
American Expatriate

Hands down, buy it.

After a thorough inspection, of course. You'll love the car. I bought mine at the same mileage and had it for two years before selling it to upgrade to a larger vehicle. While I owned the 95 e300d, I had to replace the plastic fuel lines at the injection pump the tend to brown and brittle with age. I also replaced the engine mounts, transmission mounts, and water pump. Cosmetically, I chose to redye the leather seats because mine had begun to wear, and I replaced the headliner because it was sagging. The dying and headliner were DIY jobs, as well as the plastic fuel lines.

The car got incredible mileage, exhibited suprising agility and sportiness for a non-turbo, and had an easily-disabled EGR valve... Do watch out for evaporator issues with the A/C. My 95 had its entire HVAC system overhauled five years after it was sold as new, so I was lucky. I've also heard people complaining about "tired" front suspension after 100,000 miles in climates that require rock salt on the roads in winter. Remember you can write MB customer service with a copy of your registration (after you buy it) and request a service history of the vehicle while it was under warranty.

Personally, I should have kept the e300d. It was the last year of the 124 chassis and perhaps the most refined--classic lines with modern appointments. Too bad for my pesky Mom complaining about its small back seat! Live and learn.

Best,

DL
1980 300sd 164,000 miles "Old Yeller"--sold