View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Aacckkk ... sorry, I shortened it ... the 3.5 in 90/91 was 603.907 and then 603.971 in the W140, right? It was this engine that was bad juju ...

Mine appears to be OK as I pass the 185K mile mark - that said, who knows ...

Many of these "bad engines" start the massive oil burn much earlier in their cycles - 60-80K miles or so from my reading ... but, the lead in appears to be quite similar - everything is generally OK and then the "event" happens, then massive oil burning - a quart every couple hundred miles, or worse.

I was a bit proactive in mine after trying to come up with anything that might make a difference ... I pulled the entire intake system (it was 75% blocked in the area near the EGR valve cover vent into the intake system) ... took days to clean out - multiple dips at machine shop followed by hours of pulling rags and brushes through it. My experience with the car had been that it would, on occasion, under hard acceleration, pause with a puff of brown smoke - my thought was that the engine was ingesting chunks of the coked oil (from the valve cover fumes) into the 1 and/or 2 cylinder since that was closest to the blockages (and, are reportedly, also the rods that bend most often).

Just some thoughts!
former 1985 300 CD - great car
former 1981 300 TD - good car
former 1972 280 SEL - not so good car
a couple of those diesel Rabbits ...40-45 mpg