View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Willing Participant

Repair cost question

My car is leaking oil down the sides at the head gasket line, using a small but steady amount of coolant, and smoking white smoke (especially at start-up).

So, I'm having them put on a new head gasket. Also, I need the front lower control arm bushings replaced, an alignment, and the sunroof wiring looked at.

I took my car to the dealership this morning. After a few hours, they sent me home in a rental and told me that it wouldn't be done until tomorrow evening. Now, these guys seem like nice guys and I don't have any reason not to trust them, but I'm just wondering what to expect as far as normal cost for these repairs.

From what I understand, there is a set amount of time to be billed for each job. Isn't there a listing in the FSM or somewhere?

The service rep told me that it might take a little longer because they aren't well practiced in these old engines. Apparently, they don't see many of them any more. I don't feel that I should have to pay for their learning. They are supposed to be MB trained service techs. After all, that is the reason I took the car to them and not some indie.

Anybody have any ideas on what kind of money I should be expecting to pay out on this?