View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama1 View Post
I know it might seem simple but have you checked out the exhaust sytem support? Scoot under the back of the car and see if you can wiggle the exhaust system and replicate the sound...might just be a couple of stretched out suspension donuts barely holding up their end of the muffler. They are cheap and available at any parts shop and easy to replace.
I took a quick look yesterday, and found that I am missing two muffler hangers (I think what you referred to as "suspension donuts"), one in the back (left side) and one in the front (right side) of the muffler. The rest of the exhaust system support looks fine... So I am getting two of those to be installed (by the way, how do I install them? Leveraging with a screwdriver, I guess...). I tried moving the end of the muffler up and down and though it moves more than it should, it does not make any sound.
Besides, the muffler is on the driver's side and the main clunking/banging noise (among others - I think there is more than one thing to be taken care of on the bottom of the car) seems to originate from the rear right.

I'll study the Haynes book's section on suspensions (which hopefully will enable me to understand fully the advice you guys have given me in this and the other thread) and take a more in-depth look tomorrow... And of course, I'll be doing brakes tomorrow evening/night (I am getting a pair of jack stands at Sears today for that task...)

Thanks!

Rino

Last edited by rino; 02-24-2007 at 07:01 AM.