Thread: Why a Diesel?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2001, 03:37 AM

Ok, I'll admit....

Well, I have been driving the 280SE (W108) since August. I bought it to replace my '83 300D that I sold because I wanted an antique for daily use. While I LOVE climbing into that 280SE every day, I still miss the diesel. Of course, TXBill now has Eduardo, my beloved W116 300SD in his posession and he is getting much enjoyment out of that car!

Obviously, the reliability and longevity of a diesel, particularly an MB diesel are legendary. It's quite true that they are 20+ year old cars we can climb into every day and head across the country, usually without a hitch. I'd be going over my 280SE with a fine tooth comb before heading out west on a long journey! I have complete faith in the car, but you know how it goes with 30+ year old machines! Things do tend to break a little more often, and those engines are pretty wound up on the freeway at 70mph! With the diesel, I could hammer out distances in no time flat but with the 280SE, I take it much easier, keeping speeds to a modest 70mph. Sure, the car will cruise at 85-90 without a problem, but it's just that mental thing about pushing an antique so hard.

Anyways, I'm pursuing another diesel, just to have around in case something major happens with the 280SE. I've got a couple cars which I'd use for backup in the winter time in my own stable right now, but most of my other cars won't see the light of day during the winter. If I could land a 300TD wagon, I'd be happy. I need something to haul with anyways. I've been trying to get our neighbors to sell me their '87 TD wagon. One day!!