View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 03:45 PM
moedip

To: tkamiya

Second attempt - first one is somewhere in cyerspace - if it shows up - sorry.
What I am saying is : 90F outside, cruising on flat land at 55mph engine temp at 90-95C. Turn on air cond. temp slowly climbs over 5-10 minutes to 110C - turn off air cond. -temp falls to 90-95C.
I should add that if the outside temp is below 80F then my engine temp NEVER rises above 85C.
Changing the temp switch in air cond. is last resort - opens up new can of worms. Must drain and recharge air cond. to change switch. Cannot get r12 anymore up here. Must convert to r134 if system opened. Do not know yet if compressor will have to changed when converting - That's why I want to cover all other bases first.
I should mention that we did not just throw parts into it helter skelter. The fan clutch was slipping a bit -new one helped a little - water pump cannot be checked without removing - when out already - cheaper to change than reinstall old and be safe. Hoses were starting to get soft - that is why changed. Thought thermostat was bad -changed with aftermarket - no improvement - installed Mercedes thermostat - no change.
Just a thought - if the ignition timing was off - could it cause this?
What are chances when engine starts and runs great otherwise?